Exhaust Deflector?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Exhaust Deflector?

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I am concerned about the heat from my exhaust burning/melting the tires on my bike. I have a MCc, right exit exhaust. I currently use this rack:

I am changing to this rack:

Has anyone added a little something to deflect the heat downward or somewhere other than directly back?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Exhaust Deflector?

Post by Minidave »

Have you felt one of your tires after a long run to see if it's hot?

I think with the exhaust dissipating I don't think it will be an issue, but you can certainly buy a downward turned tip to put on your tailpipe. I'd think any auto parts store would have something that would work....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

No, I haven't tried one of my tires to see if it's hot, too scared to try after hearing a horror story. :shock: And a little bit worried that it's going to be bad on a long roadtrip, where I end up far, far away from a bike shop and have damage that prevents me from riding a revered trail.

I'm gonna go look for that exhaust tip gizmo you recommended, Minidave. Thanks!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

ragtopday wrote:I am concerned about the heat from my exhaust burning/melting the tires on my bike. I have a MCc, right exit exhaust. I currently use this rack:

I am changing to this rack:

Has anyone added a little something to deflect the heat downward or somewhere other than directly back?

Hey Johnna...... NICE RACK! hahaha someone had to say it!
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

What was the horror story? I highly doubt it would be an issue... it's a diesel engine or anything. It's for a just-a-cooper yer saying?
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

LiLReD1 wrote:What was the horror story? I highly doubt it would be an issue... it's a diesel engine or anything. It's for a just-a-cooper yer saying?
Yes, it's for an MCc. It's heavily discussed on the 'net and one local guy arrived at a race with melted tires thanks to a new tray rack on an SUV. I'm solving one problem with the new rack (getting my bikes off and on the rack more easily) but adding a new issue with the melted tire thing. I'm hoping Minidave's suggestion will help. Should know soon...
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I wonder if the location of the bikes closer to the car might have had something to do with the horror story, that and the much larger load, single exhaust and harder running that an SUV would do compared to the MINI; I really think I would take the thing for a run first and just feel the tire to see if it's hot - could be much ado about nothing on your car - there are lots of variables here....however, I could see the tray thing acting as a heat sink with the exhaust blasting on it on a long trip on a hot day - I guess it's possible.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

That's kind of my thoughts. Personally, if I wanted to deflect the exhaust gases from the rack, I'd put the deflector on the rack itself. I personally wouldn't want a turned down tip on my car when the rack was off, but that's just me.

Again, I've never had an EGT on a MINI, but this is the sorta thing I'd expect from a diesel.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That's certainly another way to do it, a small piece of SS mounted at an angle to the rack could do it too.....

If you're going use the tray type rack anyway, just mount it empty on the car and go drive it down the hiway 30 miles or so, then check the rack tray and see if it's hot. If you can touch it, it's not going to be a problem.

This is the exhaust tip I'm talking about, Johnna....any auto parts store should have one for about $20..

Last edited by Minidave on Mon May 10, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Exactly. Certainly some simple remedies can be put in place.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

So the verdict is...HOT! Took the car out for a little ride this evening with the rack (no bikes loaded) and after a 20 minute drive, the plastic fittings on the rack were too hot to touch. I'll be getting an early start at the parts store tomorrow.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There you go, question answered difinitively, hope the downward turned pipe end does the trick for you, otherwise you will have to rig up a deflector or heat shield of some sort.

Depending on the rack placement, if you buy a pipe like I posted, you could turn it out somewhat too - whatever does the trick.

Hope your current tailpipe end comes off easily, and remember to let it cool thoroughly before you try to pull it off, or run some water from the garden hose over it to cool it off quickly, it won't hurt the exhaust....

Good thing you read up on this ahead of time, it would have been frustrating to get to the trail and find melted bike parts.

Hey Johnna, time to change your avatar pic, it's summer! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

$10 at O'Reilly and it's good to go! Still trying to figure out how to engrave the JCW logo into it. :lol:
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

:thumbsup2: Good to hear! To easy. Glad it's fixed. Have ya road tested it yet?
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

No road test yet, MiniX2 made the MINI all shiny today so she sits waiting in the garage...Think I'll take her on a 5 hour road test tomorrow, hopefully ending near a super crazy MTB trail. 8)
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Ha ha... that sounds like a plan!
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Update on the deflector: No melted bike tires after hundreds of miles of motoring. The exhaust part I bought was black chrome and it is no longer black but otherwise works great!