What Happon?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Punk_Mini

Re: What Happon?

Post by Punk_Mini »

Well the two cars are different animals. R56/55 JCW with its dual overhead cam'd turbocharged motor has an issue with making peak horsepower but where it doesn't have an issue is torque and it can be one torque steerin SOB :lol: . R53 of course has the single overhead cam'd supercharged motor can make peak a lot of peak horsepower and way more then its successor model and then comes where its issue that is peak torque.

My car specifically next to a stock JCW R56/R55? Off the line the JCW will get me because of the torque but once it starts getting higher in the rpm's it runs out of steam. Where mine will starts going Mr. Hyde is 3500-4000rpm from there to 7500rpm its a freight train.

If your going to be at MTTS/MITM I will be around.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I certainly understand the difference. I used to drive my buddies modded 05 S. That baby would pull and pull and pull :).

I will see you at MTTS in Denver.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

He's pretty accurate in the description. Compared to my R55 JCW, he's surprisingly got a lot more trq than I expected, just not at the lower end like my car. But like he said, those motors build steem as it revs like a typical performance 4cyl, unlike my JCW. Thanks for the ride Alex, keep it up.

Head to head would be an interesting race. Punk and I didn't get the chance to try, yet he does have a significant weight advantage, not only being a HB, but quite stripped down as well. Put it this way.... before the fireworks of his previous setup, I could farely easily pull on him with my trq, and maintain my lead. Now he's got some hp to be noticed and have the advantage to pull ahead.

As anyone would know from driving a modern JCW... it's quite pointless to rev it up, let alone to redline. I firmly believe these french motors were designed with the main idea for daily driven street use. Anyone who's gotten into these motors seems to have the same opinion that the R53 motor is a better platform for racing.

Oh ya, and his next mod is installing that new bumper! ha ha That thing flaps in the wind like a leaf in a texas twister!
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Somewhere after 80k miles the heater core will go out...found that one out this weekend.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

do you have the list of exactly what was done? I am curious because I am contemplating building an engine myself and putting a new supercharger on with an electric water pump.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

If your taking on a project like this look to have a budget between $10-12k. Never go cheap when doing an engine build of this level.

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

MEGAmini Stage3a head
ARP head studs
MEGAmini cam
OEM cam bolt
MEGAmini/JE +.020 Pistons
ARP rod bolts
MEGAmini bored +.020, sleeved, balanced, and blueprinted motor
New OEM timing chain & guides
New OEM oil pump
New OEM water pump
New OEM head/oil pan gasket
MEGAmini/Mynes straight primary header with gutted cat (catless)
MEGAmini custom 2.5" exhaust
Clutchmasters Aluminum Flywheel
Clutchmasters FX400 sprung 6 puck clutch
OS Giken Super Lock LSD

Parts carried over before build
16% pulley
DT BPV
Bosch OE 550cc injectors
CAI

Now for your idea of doing a new SC there is no need just rebuild the snout, and PTO (gearcase for waterpump output), Miezer electric water pump.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I am interested in this water pump. does it fit in the place of stock? details would be appreciated.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.