Inside Blower Fan Replacement

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Inside Blower Fan Replacement

Post by davester »

Stubby's inside fan is screaming like a Banshee when on. Has anyone found a how-to DIY replacement for this. I know it will be a pretty intense job but this is starting to get on my nerves. Anyone attempted this? Please let me know---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Inside Blower Fan Replacement

Post by Minidave »

Who has a Bentley manual for this car?

maybe it's time for a club purchase?

I thought I had one coming my way, but it was a false alarm..... :roll:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I do have access to online repair manuals and have some program that is supposed to be good but have not installed it yet. (need to do that)
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I have a Bentley Manual but it is not very helpful on this job. It says, "Blower motor removal and installation is a complicated job involving removal of airbag components and complete dashboard." Also,refrigerant recovery / recycling / recharging unit.
This doesn't look like a fun job---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yikes........maybe it's time for a trade in?

I had an '85 Ford Mustang convertible that blew it's heater core. On the '84 there was a nice neat door that you opened, slid the old core out and the new one in, hook up the hoses - job done!

On the '85 the first instruction was "remove entire dashboard"...... :shock:

I sold the car....... :?

(and yes, I told the new owner about the heater core - but it was in San Diego, he figured he didn't need it.)

Do you think it's possible that after removing the cabin filter you might get a can of spray with a nozzle up in there and get some worked into the bearing somehow, without removing the motor? Chances are it's the rear bearing that's noisey, since it's completely unreachable, but maybe you could get lucky and it's the front one that's dry - the one next to the squirrel cage?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I tried to do just that. Made the car smell like WD-40 for a while. I posted this for a How-To on NAM and received a response saying it wasn't nessary to remove everything. I asked him how to do it. No answer yet---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I guess the alternative is just to start taking things apart till you can get the blower assy out. I'll bet it's a bronze self lubricating bushing in the fan motor.........cheap bastards! They all use them, not just MINI, and they all dry out.....

I'd probably start by removing everything you could from around the fan area - the glove box, the filter, maybe the down tubes - just to get as much clearance around the motor you could, eventually you might be able to get the blower assy out of the housing.....once you do that it's all downhill from there - at least til you go to start re-assembling it! I'd take the passenger seat out too to help get enough room to work.

But truthfully, I'd probably trade it in.....this job sounds like a bitch kitty! :?

Sorry I can't offer much more support, but I'm leaving for the mountains in the morning and won't be back till the following weekend.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I received a message from a fella named Greg who has done a couple of fan changes. He is going to call me next Monday night and try to give me the poop on how to do it. I am leaving Thurs. am to go to Memphis. If he makes it sound ez, I will order the fan. He did say it will be a two person job.

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Are you driving the "counterfeit Mini" to Memphis?

I can't imagine driving in this heat with no A/C.......or listening to a fan squall for hours on end....

Best of luck on the repair, sorry I can't be there to help you.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Your in luck. I will wait for you to return. Naw, i'm taking Stubby on the twisty roads thru the Ozarks and roll the windows and sunroof down. Charlotte has to work Fri. & Monday. My daughter will be in Memphis visiting my mother. Have fun in Colorado---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

From what the online manual shows, the whole dash should not need to be removed. It seems to be right behind the airbag on the passenger side. I would imagine if you were to open the glove box and pull it down, you should be able to see the housing. I think the reason why they say to pull the dash is to pull the HVAC module as a whole. I think it is only 3 bolts that holds the fan and cage in behind the airbag.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks. All help is welcome---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

be glad to lend a hand if im around
Hi. My name is Tommy.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't think there's enough room to get the blower out intact - that's why I think they want to take the entire HVAC assy out, however, I wonder if you can get the blower cage loose from the filter side, then slide it off as you rotate and withdraw the blower motor housing it might come out? Won't know till I look at it more closely....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

It was suggested by Marcos to drill a small hole in the housing and spray a lubricant in there. He said the blower motor is above the brake pedal. I will try to look tomorrow. Don't know if I can get my XL butt in position to see it.

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"