MiniDoMore Hitch Install

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniDoMore Hitch Install

Post by MiniX4 John »

I recently did the MiniDoMore hitch install on Johnna's cabrio. Here are some pics and short descriptions of what I had to do. It was pretty easy with the instructions from MiniDoMore. It took less than 2 hours start to finish.
MiniDoMore instructions: http://minidomore.com/pdf/2002-2006_HT_ ... ctions.pdf
Tools used: Phillips screwdriver, 8, 10, 12 and 17 mm sockets, jack and jack stands, torque wrench, zip ties (not listed in the MiniDoMore instructions)

I'll skip the step-by-step since it is detailed at MiniDoMore.

The first pic shows removing the rear side skirts. These are held on with clips and one screw. If you are careful, the clips can be re-used.

One of the clips is inside the rear wheel well.

Remove the bolt near the exhaust flashing. On a JustaCooper Cabrio, the requires removing the spare. This bolt holds the bottom of the bumper.

Next remove the bolts on either side of the boot (this may be cabrio specific).

There is another small piece that pops out on both sides. The bolt mentioned above has been removed:

Disconnect the side marker:

The PDC will still be attached to a black inner plate with zip ties. Cut those loose and unclip all four sensors of the PDC from the bumper. Then just work the plastic bumper off slowly while your wife frets.

Now you are left with the aluminum inner bumper. There are four bolts on either side, remove all of them. There is also a fifth bolt (black) which you remove AFTER the aluminum bumper is free. That fifth bolt holds a black plate that is not attached directly to the car. That black plate is the part you will be replacing with the MiniDoMore receiver plate.

These are the parts removed from the car. The bottom one is similar to the MiniDoMore plate, just without a receiver. The top part is a foam rubber piece that doesn't get replaced. The MiniDoMore part doesn't attach in the same manner as the original spacer (that 5th black bolt) so it was just a matter of lining everything back up with the original 4 bolts.

Just reverse everything from here, putting it all back together.

The only thing I would have done different would be to disconnect the PDC while I had the bumper off. Or wire a switch so the PDC could be turned on and off. It's always on when the car is in reverse with the bike rack attached. I did read somewhere that the volume on the PDC can be adjusted by the dealer so that may be an option.

Here's the end result, cross posted from the bike rack thread:
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MiniDoMore Hitch Install

Post by MiniGeoff »

So, considering I *really* want to get my bike out of the garage and try to kill myself jumping off a mountain on it again, is there a hitch option for us 03 owners, since the place where you put the hitch is my long reverse light?
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Yes, there is, Geoff. It's the Mini factory one. I don't think it defaces the car at all.

Don D
MiniX4 John
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniX4 John »

Geoff,

The only thing that I could see that would be different would be that you would not have your reverse light when you have a rack on the car. When you don't have the rack on, the receiver is behind your reverse light and would be working just fine. It just pops out and disconnects when you want to put the rack on. Maybe you could extend the wiring and mount the light to your rack somehow when you have the rack on. With the MiniDoMore, there really is no defacing. Let me know if you want to discuss further. Thanks,

John
"Moxie" Snowberry White RHD 1971 Austin Rover Mini, 1275cc engine, 10" GB wheels with Yokohama Aquos tires, Hella 500's, H9 graphics
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

the only other good option for the earlier minis is the MINI Fini system, that is if your are willing to spend close to $600 :(

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=28
http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=8
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

John-
Will you be using the hitch to tow your classic or just bikes? I've toyed with the idea of the hitch for use with my P'up.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

At the Merry Minis event in Arkansas they're offering the Curt hitch for $114 plus $80 for the wiring adaptor.

MINIdomore is over $500 plus install, although I like the way it's engineered.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Minidave wrote:At the Merry Minis event in Arkansas they're offering the Curt hitch for $114 plus $80 for the wiring adaptor.

MINIdomore is over $500 plus install, although I like the way it's engineered.
From what I read on NAM the Curt hitch is a exact ripoff of the Mini Do More hitch...They're suing them over it right now..
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't think it is at all, as the Curt hitch exits under the bumper, the MDM goes thru the bumper in some manner. About the only thing that's the same is where they bolt onto the car (under the main bumper attachment points) and I don't know that you could patent the attachment point location - it's dictated by the car design. But then, I'm no lawyer - patent or otherwise......

That said, there are only a couple of ways you can attach a hitch solidly to any car, I would think that unless they have a specific patent breach, they're not gonna prevail in a lawsuit on a trailer hitch.

MINI do More base hitch..

Curt hitch

Curt hitch offered by Auto X Cooper at Merry Mini event...

I'm going to give them a good looking over while I'm at the Merry Mini's event as I want to put a hitch on the Clubster someday soon.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Hmmm....

Do you know if my Cooper S could tow my classic? She's an automatic so she weighs about 1,444 lbs... I have a feeling that's a bit too much...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, it will pull it easily but.............I'm not sure you can tow your classic - because it's an automatic - unless you tow it on a dolly with the front wheels up.

If you check NAM, there are dozens of pics of people towing their classics 4 wheels down with absolutely no issues to their new MINI.

People are also towing all sorts of other things, from teardrop trailers, flat trailers, motorcycles, sailboats etc. I think you have more than enough power, the key is not to pull too much weight, you don't want the tail wagging the dog! :D

Also, I believe the Curt hitch is only rated as a class I, and the MDM is rated as a class II. The difference is substantial, but maybe not important on a MINI because the car limits the amount you can haul or tow itself, and I think the limit is at or under what a class I hitch is anyway.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Oh ok. I was pretty sure I'd need a car dolly since the manual says don't tow a automatic classic mini with all four wheels on the ground..
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

David and I are planning on getting a Cooper and putting a hitch on it to carry bikes and I was wondering where you can get the attachment to carry your bicycles. Thanks :)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Any of the hitch mfr's also sell the attachements, as well as a number of others, just Google hitch mount bike racks, you'll get tons of places and brands.

I like the one Johnna has now though, it folds up when you're not using it, although she had to add an exhaust deflector so that it wouldn't melt her bike's tires.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Minidave wrote:I like the one Johnna has now though, it folds up when you're not using it, although she had to add an exhaust deflector so that it wouldn't melt her bike's tires.
The rack I have on my car right now is a Kuat Sherpa (www.kuatinnovations.com). It's a tray-style rack and is a whole lot easier for me to get bikes on and off of than the Yakima Doubledown I had before. Kuat racks come from Springfield, MO and the guys there are super helpful should you be missing any parts, just in case you drive your car like you ride your bike. :oops: I did put a fancy black chrome downward facing exhaust tip on (the black chrome came off in the first 50 miles, high quality stuff they sell at O'Reilly :lol: ) and it has kept my tires in fine shape. The rack is sitting lower on my car than it was intended, so it might not be an issue if it was installed as designed. It never got THAT hot but it was warm to the touch and made me worry.

If you go with a Kuat rack, Steph, you might ask MiniX2 what he did to modify mine. He flipped one piece over during installation so the rack sits a bit lower. This was to make it easier for a 5'2" person to get a bike with 29" wheels off the rack with a little more ease.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.