A/C Dead

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

A/C Dead

Post by Hagar46 »

Anyone have their a/c stop producing cold air? Everything seems in order with mine but the compressor clutch is not engaging/disengaging like it's supposed to. Suggestions and/or what was your fix? Other than $1,500 for a new compressor at Baron. :(
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: A/C Dead

Post by davester »

2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The is a pressure switch in the system, if the freon gets low it will not engage the compressor - you might just need to add freon.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Had a repair shop evacuate and recharge the system so it should not be low on freon. However, they did it at no cost since this did not fix the problem and I'm not confident they knew anthying about MINI's. They told me to go to Baron.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

I was told by dealer that when they put in the new timing chain for the famous "diesel rattle" last winter, they had accidently bent an A/C line that rubbed against my half-shaft than eventually rubbed a whole in it, and drained all the fluid in the A/C system. I'm not sure if it's the same kinda setup for the R53... kinda doubt it... but just something to watch out for.
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Hagar46 wrote:Anyone have their a/c stop producing cold air? Everything seems in order with mine but the compressor clutch is not engaging/disengaging like it's supposed to. Suggestions and/or what was your fix? Other than $1,500 for a new compressor at Baron. :(
I've had that happen, twice as of yesterday in fact.

Whatever you do, don't take it to Baron to fix it. They wanted that same $1500 from me for it, and I had it done AND a new radiator installed elsewhere for $1100 parts and labor. I think that KC Autosport told me (thought I didn't have them do the work) that they'd replace a compressor for about $400 plus the price of the compressor, which they said I could buy and bring to them to install, and I found salvaged, used, compressors online with a 90 day warranty for about $350 shipped.

I hope mine isn't a dead compressor again, since I just did this like 13 months ago, but I'm starting to think it is...
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I've found a remanufactured a/c compressor replacement kit (includes the drier) with a one year warranty on-line for $230. Now the decision is whether I want to attempt to do the work myself or not. Maybe at a Garage Day?
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's pretty much a bolt off/on deal....so I think it's do-able on a garage day, not much harder than changing a fan - you will have to remove the radiator and A/C condensor to get to it IIRC. I'd have to look at it first tho, since this is a Justa it might be easier than I'm thinking.

Also, you need to go someplace and have the freon removed, then once the install is done you need to go back and have it evacuated and the freon re-installed. I wonder if it's worth the extra hassle to save the install labor?

Your call, but you know we're willing to help if you decide to DIY. We also now have a club member with a lift! :shock: :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)