Local source for Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Local source for Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid?

Post by KC MCS »

Anyone know of a local source to buy Motul RBF600 brake fluid? Seems silly to pay $14 for it online and then $8 to ship it! I'm not partial to the Motul, I'd use ATE Super Blue if it was locally available and the Motul wasn't.

Thanks!
'05 MCS CR/B, Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Prem/Sport/Cold, Panther Leather, CR Dash/Doors, 17" Web Spokes, Alta CAI, Ultrik 15% Pulley, NGK Iridium Plugs
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Local source for Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid?

Post by Minidave »

Maybe check the phone book for race parts stores in KC? Don't forget Karting stores too. If you find it, be sure and post up - I'm sure there are others here who would like to buy some as well - I know I would.

BTW, the club has a brake system pressure bleeder donated by Hagar - if you need to borrow it, contact me.

EDit: BHR carries ATE Blue and Gold for $21/Litre
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

I shot off a few emails this morning to corporate offices for both Motul and ATE. Amazing that neither of them have a 'Where to buy' tool on their websites! :?

I'll be sure to post what I find out.

Thanks for the offer on the bleeder. I was considering just buying a bleeder bottle, does the tool you have make it significantly easier? I'm sure either of my two young daughters would love to sit in the MINI and push the brake pedal for me!

I purchased Akebono pads off of Amazon for about $130 shipped - for all 4 corners! I thought that was a pretty good deal.

For rotors, I'm considering a set from Trinet. I think their rotors are actually made by Centric. They have some really nice looking rotors and offer them in silver, gold, or black zinc coated. I found a picture on an RX8 user forum of their 'Whirlwind' pattern in black zinc. The pic was a closeup of the wheel, rotor and caliper (which was painted red) - looked VERY sharp!
'05 MCS CR/B, Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Prem/Sport/Cold, Panther Leather, CR Dash/Doors, 17" Web Spokes, Alta CAI, Ultrik 15% Pulley, NGK Iridium Plugs
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

FYI, already heard back from ATE:

"We do not have a tool to find local retailers on our website at this time
and unfortunately we do not have a local retailer.

You can purchase our ATE Super Blue brake fluid from The Tire Rack
(http://www.tirerack.com), they ship around the country.
"
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

A club member of mine found it at Motorsports of Kansas City.

www.motorsportsofkc.com/
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Where are they located? It doesn't say on their website - someplace in Kansas based on the phone number.

There has to be someplace over on the Missouri/Lees Summit side that's more convenient to the OP.....I'll bet some motorcycle stores carry it or equivalent.

Akebono pads are well regarded by the Audi owners on Audiworld, other than that I have no experience with them.

I also have no experience with the rotors you mention, I tend to buy stock rotors from the cheapest place I can find them... :?

Edit: I called Motorsports KC - they are located at 6285 State Ave in KCK. They have 1 pint of the Motul (@$19), but they carry Wilwood 600 High temp brake fluid too, sounds like that would work just as well.

BTW, unless you are going to track your car or use it excessively and agressively in the mountains, I question the need for the high temp brake fluid. Regular brake fluid replaced every 2 years is fine for street driving conditions, or even autocross.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Thanks for the info. KCK would be a bit out of my way! I work in OP but don't come in or go home anywhere near KCK.

I'm sure you're right on not really having the need for the high-end brake fluid since I don't take it to the track. But I figured hey, why not? One never knows when the urge to go to the track would hit! :D

Does the bleeder the club has make the job significantly easier/faster than your standard bleeder bottle and pumping the brakes?

I haven't changed the brakes on my MINI once yet - original rotors and pads, so hopefully it goes well and things aren't seized up behind the rims!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I haven't used the bleeder yet, but I'm thinking that's what it's made for, to make the job faster and easier!

Do you have the tool for the rear calipers? If not, I have that too, and I live in OP. You can stop by one evening on the way home and get them or come over on the weekend - your call. PM me for directions/address and when you want to come, I get home between 5:30 and 6 pm Mon - Thurs.

Also, you need the torx bit for the rotor attaching screws (an impact wrench makes getting those out much easier!), some antisieze for those and the slides and a few other misc things.

If you don't regularly use your brakes HARD - like on a racetrack - there is no benefit to getting the high temp fluid. One or two hard stops aren't going to cause you to need it. I use regular brake fluid and I'm on the track a number of times each year.

I think you'd be smarter to invest in new brake hoses first, and when changing the fluid is the right time to change the hoses too.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Timing would be tough. I go in very early at 6AM and leave at 3PM to be home before the kids get off the bus.

I don't have the piston compression tool, but I do a lot of woodworking and have clamps that will probably do the job just fine. I might have the torx bit, if not, my neighbor may, so I'll have to check.

I thought about changing the brake lines as well to stainless steel, so I may go ahead and do that too. I agree that now would be the time to do it.
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Here's a link to the picture of the rotors from Trinet that I was talking about in case anyone is interested in seeing them.

The quote I received over the weekend from them was $197.53 shipped for all 4 corners. You have to scroll down the link about half way or so to see the picture.

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=163578

NOTE: It's not the first pic that shows the 3 pattern options that I'm referring to, rather it's the large pic a bit past that one that shows the installed rotor with the wheel and red caliper.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

On the rear calipers, you have to rotate the piston as you push it in - you need the tool to do that, a clamp won't do it by itself.

You can buy the tool kit for $20 from Harbor Freight, there's one on Noland Rd......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

And I just happen to have a gift card from Christmas for Harbor Freight that I haven't used so that'd be perfect! :)

I have also been communicating with a person at Trinet Motorsports about their rotors to try and get a better feel for them. They ARE in fact Centric rotors. They buy them as plain rotors and then machine them and have them zinc plated.

Unfortunately it sounds like they lost their current plating partner and are in the process of negotiating a deal with another. This means the stock they have on hand is what they have to sell for right now, and why it's unfortunate for me is because they don't have any of the black zinc coated 'whirlwind' pattern that I want. They do have some others that look very nice too but are just silver zinc coated which would be ok.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

you might take a look at these. I have this package with SS brake lines and like them---
http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3059.cfm

Except I have the EBC Green Stuff pads
Last edited by davester on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'm the one who donated the brake bleeder kit. It makes it a one person job. See this link: http://www.motiveproducts.com/?gclid=CM ... 7Aod5zN_Ig
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Are these what you're talking about?

You are aware that that coating will be gone after using the brakes a few times, right? At least in the swept area.....

I don't understand paying extra for rotors that "look cool" but don't do anything for your braking - at least under normal circumstances. Just like I don't understand paying $20 for brake fluid when the $5 stuff works perfectly . But I guess that's just me......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Yeah, I know the zinc coating will wear off where the pads meet the rotors but will remain everywhere they don't to help cut down/prevent/reduce rusting. These are more expensive than plain jane stock rotors, but not overly so IMO at an average of $50 per rotor shipped. I agree with you on the fluid, but the ATE super blue sure would make it easier to determine when the line is fully bled. There would be a difference in color between the motul (which I think is amber) or stock fluid that is old and new I'm sure, but just not as evident as blue coming out.
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Hagar46 wrote:I'm the one who donated the brake bleeder kit. It makes it a one person job. See this link: http://www.motiveproducts.com/?gclid=CM ... 7Aod5zN_Ig
Is it the 0100 model you have? The one for European cars?
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

The one we have is specific to MINI's.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Well the 0100 European model indicates it fits BMW's (along with pretty much every other European mfg). I was just trying to determine if it was the same model you had purchased in case I can snag a used one on auction or CL. I did a little further checking and it looks like it is probably the 0100 model. JSC Speed has the 0100 listed for the MINI.