SCCA Road Rallys Nov. 13 and 14

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

SCCA Road Rallys Nov. 13 and 14

Post by mcconned »

If you attended the Armacost Museum tour this past Saturday perhaps I had a chance to speak with you personally about this event. Some of you/your members I did speak with expressed great interest. I do want to get the word out sooner rather than later to allow time for you to inform your club members.

The SCCA will be conducting a Road Rally on Saturday, November 13 AND on Sunday, November 14. If you've never done an SCCA Rally here is a brief description....

Participants are given specific instructions where to drive, how far to drive, where to turn, and even the average speed you should be driving. Since this is an SCCA sanctioned event, you will be driving at the posted speed limits and observing all traffic laws. You will track your time from leaving the starting line to the various check points encountered along the route. This event is about "precision driving" and how well you can follow instructions.

The Saturday Rally will be on all paved roads. Typically the roads are mostly 2 lane black top and there is usually some great scenery. This Rally would be perfect for taking your "special" car.

The Sunday event is one mostly "unpaved roads". This Rally presents as big as, if not bigger, challenge than the paved road. This NOT a rally for your "special" car.

Please note:

*You do NOT have to be a member of the SCCA to participate.
*You do NOT have to participate in both Rallys. Each rally is a separate event and scored separately. Do one or do them both.
*You do NOT have to drive your "special" car. In the event of inclement weather feel free to bring your daily driver.
*You DO need a navigator.
*There will be an award for best participation of a marque club.

I ask that you inform your club of this fun event. You may want to make it an "official" club event and go for the best participation award. If not, still circulate this out to your members in the event they may want to participate on their own.

Attached is the flier with all the details. Feel free to contact either Rich Bireta or myself with any questions you may have.

Dan McConnell
SCCA Member
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Walnuts

Re: SCCA Road Rallys Nov. 13 and 14

Post by Walnuts »

Looks like fun, but I saw Lawrence I wouldn't call those roads well paved by any means lol
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'll be in North Carolina that weekend....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Reminder
Dan McConnell
Race
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Race »

I ran the MINI in the paved rally last year with my 9 year old as my navigator. This was our first rally, and it was lots of fun winding through the back roads. We made a couple of small errors, but quickly got back on track. I tried to just keep an even pace based on the posted limits. The big surprise was that we won overall beating some teams with rally computers!!! We will have to return this year to see if it was dumb luck or not.
03 MINI Cooper, SS+, Koni Coilovers, Camber, 19mm Rr Bar, 225/45/15 BFG Rivals on 15x8 Rota RBs, GIAC, Custom K&N CAI, Magnaflow Header, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Corbeau Seat, MOMO wheel, G Force 5 pt harness.
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

we're a maybe for that saturday. don't want to mess up my ground kit on the sunday run.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Here is one last reminder on the SCCA Road Rallies Saturday and Sunday, November 13 and 14th. The weather appears to be near Rally perfect- partly cloudy and temps in the mid to upper 50’s.

Here’s a recap of what I have passed along previously.

*The Saturday Rally is on all paved roads. This is great for any car, especially the “garage queens”.

*The Sunday Rally is on some paved roads so you probably will want to leave your garage queen home.

*Any kind of car is welcome…mini vans, sports cars, pick up trucks, whatever.

*You do NOT have to be a member of the SCCA to participate.

*You DO have to have a navigator.

*You do NOT have to do both Rallies. Each Rally is separate and winners of each are awarded.

*Remember, there is an award for best participation by a marquee car club. The Heartland Miata Club has informed me they have 10 cars coming!! Who wants to challenge them?

*Even if your club chooses not to make this an “official” club event OR your club or marquee may be having a conflicting event, please pass along this information in the event a member wants to participate on their own.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to myself or Rich Bireta (contact info on the attached flier).

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday and/or Sunday, November 13th /14th.

BTW, the meeting/starting line is easy to get to. It is located just east of the Lawrence airport and north of US 24. This is close to the first Lawrence exit as you head west on I-70. Please Google Map 1853 E. 1600 Rd., Lawrence, KS. 66044.
Dan McConnell
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

we will b there, hubby said he'd nav for me...lol. also sign'd up on the kcrscca site chat. wrote u a messg on that site
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

IMPORTANT INFORMATION IF YOU"RE BRINGING A MINOR TO THE RALLY!!

The subject of waivers for minors was brought up on another site. In looking more closely at the "fine print" on the flier, a waiver is required for anyone under the age of 18. Please...Go to the link provided on the flier posted above and print out the waiver form and use it. The waiver form to be turned in at registration must be in red and black ink as printed.

Additionally, the form must be notarized. You could probably get this done at your bank or some UPS Stores offer this service.

The above is an SCCA requirement.

Looking forward to meeting you all this weekend. Saturday I'll be in a blue 350Z Roadster and Sunday I'll be in a red Dodge Charger.
Dan McConnell
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

I hope to see a lot of you this weekend-especially Saturday!
Dan McConnell
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

ready to load up n go eat n head out that way
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

had fun and of course didn't come close to the winning time's...lol. meet alot of incredible people. look'n forward to the possible next one in march.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Really glad you made it! All total there were 27 cars which, I'm told, is a record. My navigator and I got really REALLY lost and, consequently, finished so poorly we didn't even ask how we finished. I'll just say we are a veteran team and finished far behind a lot of rookies.
Dan McConnell
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

i didn't ask where we finish'd, but based on who all was n the restaurant lot, i'd say about middle'ish probably. not too bad for a first timer.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Sunday's "some paved roads" rally was also a blast. AGAIN, my navigator and I got lost...this time on the odometer check! We've done that before.
I may have ,mentioned this is a family event. Indeed, yesterday was a family with 2 grade school aged kids. It was everyone's first ever Rally and they did NOT finish last!! I/We had that distinction! Not only were they treated to some neat scenery but one pasture had a heard of llamas and down the road we also saw an/emu/ostrich. One home we passed had a yard full of cut out of metal animals decorating the yard. The "cuteness" overrode the "klitschy" factor. Everyone enjoyed it.
Due to the overwhelming feedback from both Rallies, Rich is already looking at adding more in 2011-maybe as early as February or March.
I'll keep you posted.

Pictures: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/ ... er%202010/
Dan McConnell