Exhaust vibration?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
boosbry

Exhaust vibration?

Post by boosbry »

Today I installed a Magnaflow exhaust system. It went on easy (once I managed to get the rusted, cruddy, frozen and eventually BROKEN bolt out of the factory exhaust...) and it sounds great but at around 3K RPM in each gear, but particularly 1st and 2nd, I get what sounds like a vibration or kind of a buzzing noise.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Exhaust vibration?

Post by Minidave »

The dreaded Magnaflow drone?

It's the right RPM for it.....

Are you sure it's not touching anywhere?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I think you're talking about a vibration, more than a drone, right? I would loosen the clamp that holds the front to the rear of the Magnaflow and make sure the pipes are aligned correctly so they hang in the rear rubber hangers properly (the rubber hangers need to each support the exhaust equally). And check that the heat sheild is not loose or touching. By the way, I never experienced a vibration on my car.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
boosbry

Post by boosbry »

I am sure I have done something strange in the installation but the interesting thing is it seems to disappear once the car has heated up. I will check all the connections again and pay particular attention to the clamp as well as where the exhaust is supported by the rubber mounts.

Thanks!!!