General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Sputter, sputter, sputter...

Post by ksminiman »

great to hear you got it fixed!
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Johnna--- take a look at this--- does it sound familiar ???
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... ost3173837
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

davester wrote:Johnna--- take a look at this--- does it sound familiar ???
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... ost3173837
So far no lights coming on and it hasn't stalled. But something is definitely not right. It's better with new plugs but still not right.

The service advisor at Baron said by law, if the car thinks something is wrong with the fuel pump, the check engine light has to come on. No light. I asked about the fuel pump and was met with a blank stare, followed by, "Isn't that located within the tank on your car?" You're asking me?!?

I also asked at Baron about the transmission oil in the CVT. According to service records, it has been changed at Inspection 1 and 2. Since then, I haven't been in for an inspection (making me 10,000 miles past due) and have changed the oil elsewhere. So I'm taking the car to Baron next week to have the CVT serviced and see if that helps. News at 10...
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have a code reader if you want to check to see if it's stored any, JIC. It only takes a minute to check them - or stop by any Autozone, O'Reily's, NAPA etc and they'll read 'em for free - then you have to go online to find out what the numbers mean.

I'd hate to see you spend money for something it doesn't need, although a new fuel filter is just good preventative maint at this mileage. I'm still wondering if it could be bad fuel?

I've read of people getting a slug of bad juice even from the supposed "top tier" stations....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Latest update: got the transmission fluid changed and the parameters reset today. The power issue feels better, just gotta deal with the transmission re-learning my driving habits for a couple of weeks now. The SA at Baron also suggested that I slip the car into Sport mode now and again. Never would have thought to do that. :lol:

I also ran a full tank of gas from Hy-Vee through it and it was already doing better by the time I got the car to the dealer. I think Minidave and Davester were on to something with the fuel. I would like to change the fuel filter once it warms up enough to do it in the driveway.

No sputtering on the trip home tonight. All is better, if not well!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

"Better" is better! :)

If you use decide to use a fuel additive, be careful that you don't add too much at once - the MINI tank is smaller than what those bottles are designed to treat - two smaller doses are better than one big one.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I use "Techron" fuel system cleaner additive from Chevron. There are two sizes like Minidave suggested. Get the treatment for 12 gal. size. I do this when Daylight savings time changes twice a year. Maybe New Year and 4th of July for you. :D Advance Auto Parts usually has this on sale -- buy one/get one free :wink:
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"