Audio Soft Ware Update

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Audio Soft Ware Update

Post by S-car-go »

In the time that I have owned my Cooper S with MINI Hi-Fi, I have been somewhat disappointed with the Audio system. It has lacked bass and highs reguardless of what I did with the tone controls and sounded more like a bunch of full range speakers instead of a quality component speaker system.

I seen something in MC2 magazine about the sound processing being set wrong from the factory and instead of it sending bass to the larger 6X9's in the back it was sending the bass to the smaller speakers up front that could not handle it. This results in a kind of muddy lack luster audio experience. I confirmed this by playing with the fader and sure enough I had way more bass going to the front than to the back.

Today I took my car in to Baron for it's first scheduled maintenance and told them what I had read and what I was experiencing with my Audio system. They tested my system and confirmed that the front speakers where distorting. They did a soft ware update for the audio system and the results are like night and day.

Now I can hear the seperation of all the speakers. On music with good bass the bass pounds from the back to where I can feel it in the seat and the tweaters up front sound off with crisp highs. The whole system sound very clear and balanced. I feel like I got a whole new system and all they did was some programing.

I thought I would share this with everyone because I know there has to be someone else out there that is less than thrilled with thier MINI Hi-Fi.
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Audio Soft Ware Update

Post by ksminiman »

I have noticed that in the loaner cars. I was excited to get back to my stock alpine system in my 06. The MINI HiFi was terrible in the convert that I drove. Maybe they need to put out a TSB about that if they havent.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Good find, may do this even still... I just added an 800 watt amp to the stock speakers, 12" sub on 350 watt amp... problem solved! :) Now I just have a REALLY LOUD DOOR AJAR!!
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

In no way would I say that the MINI Hi-Fi can compare to a high powered multi speaker aftermarket system. There is no competing with a high quality multi channel system with several hundred watts going to dedicated subs. It is however capable of sounding way better than what mine was before Baron reprogrammed it. It was disappointing at best and know it is enjoyable. Worth checking into if your still under warranty. If your sound processing is messed up in the signal that is going to your amps, you may not be reaching the full potential of your upgrades.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Only thing aftermarket is the amp in my case. I was kinda proving yer point that with the correct kind of output, the factory stereo can be a lot better. And if that can be remedied by the dealer doing a free upgrade, to easy! Even with what I have, I may see what they can do for me.
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

I may eventually add a sub to mine. I was very reluctant to do anything before because the system sounded so out of balance. The door speakers distorted easy, the rear speakers where barely there and other than the visual presents of the tweeters up front they where useless. I figured I would just have to deal with it until I heard about the DSP being out of wack. Happy Motoring :P
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

2010+ models have gone back to Harman|Kardon as the upgraded OEM stereo. I have H|K in my 06 and I love it.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

S-car-go wrote:I may eventually add a sub to mine. I was very reluctant to do anything before because the system sounded so out of balance. The door speakers distorted easy, the rear speakers where barely there and other than the visual presents of the tweeters up front they where useless. I figured I would just have to deal with it until I heard about the DSP being out of wack. Happy Motoring :P
I thought the same thing... thinking I was going to have to scrap everything but the head unit, but my audio guy said the speakers were fine and were good quality, the distortion was coming from lack of power from the head unit. He was right, 800 watts later to the factory interior speakers, and it's still sounds good. I retained as much room as I could with the 1 12" custom sub box sitting low enough to clear the privacy cover if needed, and used quick connects on the sub box to just pull the box out if needed the extra space. Amps sit mounted side by side on a board he designed round to fit where the spare tire should be, right above the jack/tools.

I did some trading with him with some other stuff I had, so I only paid $100 for everything, but I asked how much he'd normally charge for everything, and he said ~$600, if anyone is interested. Cause IMO, the factory system definitely needs an upgrade, and what I have is more than most would care for I'm sure. Ask the folks up at Baron when a few of us were detailing the cars across the street, lol. :)
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

You clubby owners do have that nice advantage of added space over the hard tops. Unfortunately a good sub and amp will eat up every bit of space behind my back seat.
saturn

Post by saturn »

Hey S-Car-Go, gotta quick question, did they just do a software update for the audio system alone, or was it a full across the board software update?

The reason why I ask is because my car is currently at Baron undergoing another timing chain replacement (2nd one) and some minor warranty issues @ 49,100 miles and my Hi-Fi- system is the same way yours was, barely any bass coming from the back speakers and all the bass coming from the front speakers. I mentioned to them that another member of the Mini club has his software updated for this issue and was told that I could be part of a full software update that is available but not recommended due to a low RPM, idiling/stalling issue. They said they would keep me updated and as soon as the "GOOD" software update is available, they will install it on my car.
Any info will help!!

Thx!
:D
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

LiLReD1 wrote: Now I just have a REALLY LOUD DOOR AJAR!!
Scares me every time :lol:
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

Saturn. It has been almost a year now but I could swear they just the Audio software Upgrade. What ever they did made a huge difference to the stereo and I haven't had any performance issues like low idle or stalling. I still have the service papers. It list my complaints about the audio system and underneath that it says updated audio sotware. I don't know. I'll try to run down to Baron Friday with my paperwork and see if they can tell me what they did.
saturn

Post by saturn »

S-car-go wrote:Saturn. It has been almost a year now but I could swear they just the Audio software Upgrade. What ever they did made a huge difference to the stereo and I haven't had any performance issues like low idle or stalling. I still have the service papers. It list my complaints about the audio system and underneath that it says updated audio sotware. I don't know. I'll try to run down to Baron Friday with my paperwork and see if they can tell me what they did.
They are still looking at me like deer in headlights! If you can PM me the invoice number, date of invoice, and name on the invoice they can look in their system and tell what they did. Or if you want to call them and ask, it's all good! They are just as curious as I am about what they did. I've read also on NAM that there was a software update for the amp and Baron says they cannot find such an update. :roll:
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

Kevin

Sent you a PM with some info.
Walnuts

Post by Walnuts »

S-car-go wrote:You clubby owners do have that nice advantage of added space over the hard tops. Unfortunately a good sub and amp will eat up every bit of space behind my back seat.
Have you tried these guys? http://www.integralaudio.com/ I see nothing wrong with a slim mount 12" on a couple hundred watts, you really don't need more then that for normal listening volumes. Don't get me wrong I used to compete in car audio comp's with my civic and loved being able to give my passengers headaches if I wanted to but I feel like the mini is more of a refined car (kind of) and should be more about performance then big bassy sound systems.

My civic for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpssr-5R ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J762WnKv ... re=related