Alignment shop recommendations and cost?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Alignment shop recommendations and cost?

Post by KC MCS »

Hey all...

I just swapped out my serpentine belt on Saturday morning - wow, was it bad!!! Anyway, while I had the time and setup going I figured I'd go ahead and rotate my tires. I pulled the passenger rear off and was shocked to see the wear on it. It was so bad that I didn't want to put it in the front and I immediately ordered new tires (Conti DWS's).

Once they come in, I'll obviously need them mounted and balanced, but I need an alignment as well. I was going to go to NTB to have the tires put on and the alignment done, but then I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had a recommendation for a different place to have that done and what the cost would be from your collective experience/history. NTB wanted $80 for a 'one-time' alignment, and about $20-25 per wheel for mounting/balancing/etc.

Somewhere in Lee's Summit would be preferable, or close by there.
'05 MCS CR/B, Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Prem/Sport/Cold, Panther Leather, CR Dash/Doors, 17" Web Spokes, Alta CAI, Ultrik 15% Pulley, NGK Iridium Plugs
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Alignment shop recommendations and cost?

Post by Minidave »

I don't know if the earlier cars are easier to get right, but I had a heck of a time with my '09, and finally wound up at Baron because fortunately they had a $99 special.

I had a similar problem with excessive rear tire wear, but I assumed it was because I hadn't rotated them in 12K, so my bad.

I took it to NTB, since they put my tires on (Conti DWS, same as you're going to do) they said it was almost in spec, and it only took a tiny amount of adjustment to straighten it out............but it didn't feel the way it had when new.

I took it then to Shore Tire, because they have a really good rep - they said they couldn't get the back end into spec, and that it was way out.
The car still didn't feel quite right, so when Baron sent the coupon around, I took it there. They said it was spot on. Hmmmmm again........

A few days ago I had it in to Baron for the water pump recall and a worn tie rod end. As part of the tie rod repair they rechecked the alignment and found the rear "way out of spec", so they aligned the whole car. Now it feeels really good and drives much better than before, so I think they got it right for sure.

Baron uses weight in the car to simulate the load of the driver and some weight in the back, which a lot of shops don't do.

I don't know my way around your part of town, but for my money I'd take it to Baron. Good luck with this!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I recently had a huge tire/ alignment disaster.

First I used Douglas tire in lee's summit. Don't go there! first time I went they said they aligned it just fine but the second time I went they said there is no way they can align it with their equipment.

Then I went to baron and paid the premium alignment cost of $200 for them to tell me I had a seized tie rod and they couldn't finish it. Althought not completely their fault but would have been nice to know that before they did the other 3 wheels.

Then I replaced tie rods, ball joints and had to buy 2 new front tires at this point.

I had the tires put on at Shore tire and got an alignment . I didn't have any problems with them and my car drove straight as an arrow. I'll never get an alignment anywhere else.

I'll never use NTB either. My sister had a terrible experience with them and I took mine in once to get a nail pulled out and patched.
I walked in and everyone was looking at me funny and the guy says "what can we do for you?" and I told him I just needed a tire patched and he said "oh good, if you had said you needed anything else I would tell you to go somewhere else because we had a MINI in here last week and we had to give the guy a bunch of free stuff because we messed it up."
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

So did Baron still charge you since they couldn't do it? I'd hate to get into that position and end up having to pay twice!

I had thought about Shore as well. I guess I could get the tires mounted/balanced at one place and go immediately (or very soon thereafter) and get an alignment done (although Shore would probably do both, but I'm pretty sure Baron wouldn't mount/balance tires I bring in).
'05 MCS CR/B, Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Prem/Sport/Cold, Panther Leather, CR Dash/Doors, 17" Web Spokes, Alta CAI, Ultrik 15% Pulley, NGK Iridium Plugs
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

KC MCS wrote:So did Baron still charge you since they couldn't do it? I'd hate to get into that position and end up having to pay twice!

I had thought about Shore as well. I guess I could get the tires mounted/balanced at one place and go immediately (or very soon thereafter) and get an alignment done (although Shore would probably do both, but I'm pretty sure Baron wouldn't mount/balance tires I bring in).
Yeah, they still charged me since they still did most of the work.
If baron charged the same or even $20 more than shore I would have gone back to them but I couldn't shell out another $200.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Another vote for Shore Tire. :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Okay, well hopefully this will help other folks...I called around and here is what I found as far as prices for an alignment:

Baron = $201.85 (very precise! :) )
George's Imports = $211
Hafkemeyer = They do not do alignments, but Uli said he takes them up to the Firestone on Wornall Rd
Firestone (Wornall Rd) = $80
Shore = $64.95 (plus there is a $10 off coupon on their website which would make it $54.95) ($26.95/each mount/balance w/ or w/o TPMS)

I guess I'll be going to Shore! A few good recommendations and a great price make it pretty convincing!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

One of our club members used to work there and always gave it a :thumbsup2: too!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
eronning
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by eronning »

I had a good experience with the Wornall Firestone...
Trash trucks always have the right-of-way.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

eronning wrote:I had a good experience with the Wornall Firestone...
I've also used Firestone at 75th & Wornall with good results. You can also buy the lifetime alignment from Firestone -- can be a great deal for the right MINI owners.

They said they align MINIs all the time with no issues.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

So I got my new Conti DWS's installed and the 4-wheel alignment done at Shore this morning, with the $10 off coupon, my total with tax was $155! My MCS feels like a new car between the alignment and the new, quieter tires (I had them inflate to 38 lbs).