Coolant Flush

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Clubby Clutch

Coolant Flush

Post by Clubby Clutch »

I'm due soon for the coolant to be replaced. Baron has told be about the stuff being 'lifetime coolant' but I don't buy that one bit. The goal is to be able to do all the maintenance myself when the service plan expires and I want the car to last me past high school, through college, and beyond.

I've read on NAM about people doing coolant flushes by loosening the lower radiator hose and draining and refilling repeatedly until they 'feel' the coolant is sufficiently changed out. Another method was using a wet/dry vac to suck out the fluid and then keep changing and refilling.

Is there a definitive way to change out the coolant. I know the BMW E36 M3 (my project car) makes it fairly easy to change since there is an accessible drain plug to the radiator. Although the cars are very dissimilar, how are members doing these flushes.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Coolant Flush

Post by Minidave »

I think I'd pull the lower hose off and sitck a garden hose in the filler and let it run til it comes out clear, then close everything up again and start it up and let it run till the thermostat opens, then drain it again.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)