Shop Day Rules

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Shop Day Rules

Post by Minidave »

I thought it might be time to take a minute and talk about shop etiquette and procedures.

I am very happy to host the garage days at my shop, and want to continue offering my shop, equipment, tools and knowledge to the benefit of the club members. To that end, here are a few requirements and just good manners I expect to be followed:

Tools:

If you borrow or use a tool, put it back where you got it.
If you don't know where it goes just put it in the grey cart and I'll take care of it, don't just stick it somewhere or hang it on the first peg you see.
When a tool comes out of one of my boxes, it's clean. I expect it to be that way when it's returned to me.
Honestly, would you put dirty silverware back in the drawer at your house?
If you borrow a tool, make sure it doesn't go home with you. If it does, just contact me and let me know what you have and when you can drop it back by. It happens, I'm not worried about it as long as they come back.
Likewise, if I find something that isn't mine, I'll do my best to contact who I think it belongs to and hold it till they can come by, but you have to inventory your own tools.

Equipment:

If you borrow one of the club's special tools, please try to return it as soon as you can in case another club member wants to do some work on their car. The rule on cleanliness applies here too.

If you break something, lose something or damage something don't sweat it, just replace it with like. Stuff happens, so just let me know and we'll deal with it - no biggie.

Shop cleanliness:

I always try to have the shop clean, swept and tools put away and available; I also keep cleaners, shop towels, paper towels, hand cleaner, fluids, sprays, anti sieze and so on at the ready. If you use something up, let me know so we can replace it.

If you dump brake dust all over the floor, sweep, wipe or clean it up.

If there's something you think we should have on hand or that we need, let me know and I'll get it into stock.

If you borrow a quart of oil or use brake fluid to flush your system, simply replace it with the same.

I provide hand cleaner, towels and soap to wash up with, please don't leave the sink dirty and the walls splattered with dirt. Wipe up after yourself, I'm not your mother!

Workmanship:

We're not professionals, so mistakes can happen and I can't check every nut and bolt although I will go back over your work with you to try and make sure nothing gets missed. Each club member should develope their own mental checklist and do the same. If you need help, ask - it's why I'm here.

In the end, you are responsible for your car - period.

Shop safety

Common sense should prevail here -
If you're using a grinder or sander wear safety glasses - I have extras, just ask.
Don't get under a car unless it is properly supported on jack stands or ramps. Make sure wheels are chocked.
Don't have a shop towel in your hand while using something spinning at high speed like a drill or bench grinder. This goes for loose clothing as well.
Don't spray volatile or flamable liquids on hot surfaces.
There are fire extinguishers hanging by the doors, locate them so you know where they are if you need one quickly.
Alcohol is not allowed in the shop till all the work is done for the day and things are all put away safely.

Finally: The point of shop days is to hang out with other MINIacs and have some fun, comradarie, good fellowship and maybe get a little work done on our cars. Members who are not working are more than welcome, but please make sure you don't impede the work for those that are.

Touch wood, we've never had a serious accident in my shop, and I'd like to keep it that way.

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to chime in.

I don't have a lot of rules, just have fun, be safe and respectful of others and their things.

And don't leave my damn tools dirty! :roll: :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Shop Day Rules

Post by minicoopers43 »

Don't ring the doorbell!
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ha!

Forgot about that one... :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

I'm sure I was guilty of at least one of the infractions. :oops: I apologize. Thanks for the reminder and lists. Sometimes, I'm a little slow. I appreciate you opening up your garage and offering your advice and assistance! I'm loving the new pulley! :D
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And you owe me a quart of MINI oil too, don't forget! :D

See you at the next meet up?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Minidave wrote:And you owe me a quart of MINI oil too, don't forget! :D

Haha! Nope, I didn't forget. Unless it's the weekend, I'll have a hard time getting to a gathering due to work. Since I pass down I-35 on my way to work in the evening, maybe I could drop it off at your house? You wouldn't have to be there. I could leave it by the garage or the door. I really appreciate the loan!
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Anytime is fine, I was just giving you a hard time! :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Minidave wrote:And you owe me a quart of MINI oil too, don't forget! :D

I owe you a quart too... :(
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

When's the next one?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Start a thread if you like Tim, it all depends on who needs what done.......I'm available pretty much from here on .
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"