Post by mcconned »

Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI 3 door Countryman

Post by dimini »

I think the Paceman could be a pretty cool car, actually.

But first, let's consider the evolution of the MCS. I'm not that current on Gen 3 MCS development, but isn't it true that the Gen 3 is going to be several inches longer than the current R56? And aren't the contours flattening out and becoming a little more generic, hatch-looking (bummer)? If the size between a gen 3 MCS and Paceman isn't that great, I'd favor the AWD option any day over squirrely FWD torque steer.

I still really, really love my '06 MCS JCW, and once it wears out, if I could have it rein-car-nated, it would be an exact clone of itself, except for 250hp w/AWD. Right...and would anyone else like me to invent something that can't and won't happen?

So, out here in the real world, if the MCS continues to grow, narrowing the differentiation between it and the Paceman, and if no other Brand steps in with an ultra cool, subcompact super hatch, I'll likely forego the gen 3 MCS in favor of the AWD Paceman.

Thank God my JCW only has 54K on the clock.
PS- There are 3 MINIs/Minis in my garage, including a Countryman S AWD. The Countryman is an awesome vehicle for hauling 4 adults in any weather condition and serves well as a road-trip highway cruiser. I hope MINI keeps their models functionally distinctive enough to not cannibalize the product line. Looks to me like the future MCS and Paceman may blur those lines, though.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I agree, Don. That's one reason I still have my '03 with 170k miles.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

As the former owner of one of the first Subaru WRXs back in early 2001, and a former owner of a 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, I am a huge fan of the AWD 4cyl turbo concept. I am excited that MINI is pursuing this configuration.

What didn't I like about the Talon and WRX? Fuel mileage. Like 22-24 mpg overall for both of them. Can MINI make the Paceman ALL4 approach 30+ mpg overall? That would be a huge incentive for me to make the jump.

The styling is leaving me a little cold. However, I need to see one in person before committing a final opinion.

Having owned an R50 for over 10 years now, and an R53 for a couple years, I was real apprehensive about the 2nd gen cars. Seemed to be a cartoon version of the 1st gen cars. Once the '11s came out with the revised engine and updated interior, I became more interested.

Having just driving 8,000+ miles going coast to coast on MTTS 2012 in my new '11 MCS R56, I have to say the late 2nd gen cars are awesome. Different than the R53s, for sure, but awesome in their own way. I love the performance, ride, and handling (same things I loved in the R53), and the fuel mileage is amazing (getting a solid 33mpg overall, compared to 27 in the R53).

Personally, I am excited to see the 3rd gen cars. I think MINI is a smart company and will evolve the MINI in a positive direction.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Dream on for good mileage with AWD. Returning from Colorado at 75-80 mph mpg was only 26.1 according to the computer. My Honda Odyssey can almost match that and my TSX can beat it.
New BMW X1 has been advertised during Olympic coverage at $30,650 ( I think ) That's less than my Countryman All 4 was. Wonder how it is equipped?
Mr. F56
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

DA MINI wrote:Dream on for good mileage with AWD. Returning from Colorado at 75-80 mph mpg was only 26.1 according to the computer. My Honda Odyssey can almost match that and my TSX can beat it.
New BMW X1 has been advertised during Olympic coverage at $30,650 ( I think ) That's less than my Countryman All 4 was. Wonder how it is equipped?
If you bought the BMW, would you become-- get ready for this, X-Bob ? :mrgreen:
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

davester wrote:
DA MINI wrote:Dream on for good mileage with AWD. Returning from Colorado at 75-80 mph mpg was only 26.1 according to the computer. My Honda Odyssey can almost match that and my TSX can beat it.
:? X-Bob? Must be an inside joke that I don't get.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

DA MINI wrote:Dream on for good mileage with AWD. Returning from Colorado at 75-80 mph mpg was only 26.1 according to the computer. My Honda Odyssey can almost match that and my TSX can beat it.?
I gotta wonder if the Paceman will weigh less -- that should have an impact on fuel mileage.

Do the first Countrymen have the revised engine (direct injection, Valvetronic) that the R56s got in 2011? I think there was an improvement in efficiency with that updated technology.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Zackattack28 wrote:
davester wrote:
:? X-Bob? Must be an inside joke that I don't get.
Zach, no inside joke. Think about it. :lol:
Mr. F56