(Erase)

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

(Erase)

Post by Zack »

I am having this hollow noise coming from the Driver's Side Door every time I close it. It doesn't seem to close like it used to. It almost sounds like a tin can. I don't know why it's doing it but I'm wondering if it isn't sealing properly which could also explain the increased road noise I'm hearing through the door and why the window is always fogging up when it is cold outside. I have to turn defrost on every five minutes while driving.
Last edited by Zack on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
ToddH

Re: Hollow noise coming from Driver's Side Door

Post by ToddH »

Sometimes weakend bushings in the door hinges make the door sag at the back, this sagging will cause the striker to miss the post in the door jam. While you may not notice the door closing any harder, even the slighest miss between the stirker and the jamb post can make a funny sound. If the hollow noise sounds more like "thump" or "thud" it it might be a lose window motor (if you have power windows).
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Hollow noise coming from Driver's Side Door

Post by Zack »

ToddH wrote:Sometimes weakend bushings in the door hinges make the door sag at the back, this sagging will cause the striker to miss the post in the door jam. While you may not notice the door closing any harder, even the slighest miss between the stirker and the jamb post can make a funny sound. If the hollow noise sounds more like "thump" or "thud" it it might be a lose window motor (if you have power windows).
I do have power windows and I noticed that the doors creak and make a weird whistle noise when I open them. Considering the car is six years old I shouldn't expect perfection. But, I am gradually replacing worn out parts as they come up. Bushings are my next repair/replacement.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW