Your Mini Opinion

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Junebug

Your Mini Opinion

Post by Junebug »

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and might be new to the club soon. I love Mini's but since I'm a one car kinda girl, I could never consider one do to lack of space....until the Countryman. I recently test drove a 2013 and, of course, it was wonderful. However, I'm not exactly sure it's the smartest choice for my lifestyle. So, I thought I would get your biased and experienced opinions :wink:

My concerns are these:

I essentially live in my car for work (50-60k miles a year). A lot of that time is spent in western KS and NE...aka no mans land. More importantly No Certified Repair-shop land. So getting a flat tire or worse could be a problem. I'm pretty sure the warranty doesn't cover 12hour towing to the dealership. While part of me says I should get what I love...I question if its a smart choice. So what do you experts think? Also, is there anything you would add or change to the car to make it a more reasonable choice (the whole no spare deal really concerns me). Any other high-milers out there? Is this just wishful thinking? Will I ever get to join the mini club???

Thanks in advance!

B
ToddH

Re: Your Mini Opinion

Post by ToddH »

First always buy what you want - especially if you are making payments on it! Nothing is worst than writing out a check and thinking what it could have bought.

Second - not 100% sure about the new Countryman but the factory tires on my MINI were "Run-Flats" so I could drive a reasonable distance to get to a reputiable tire dealership that could resolve the problem. And while it is not a impossible thing - a total tire blow-out which would need more than a can of fix-o-flat is pretty rare - particularily on properly inflated tires and on a vechile as light as a MINI

Finally - Reliability - my experience is that is more of how you treat a vechile than who made the vechile. Treat a Honda like crap - and a Hyundai like gold and the Hyundai will very much likely be more reliable. A new MINI I beleive will come with some maintenance included - get it to the dealership for the maintenace, get the "littles" addressed promptly - keep the oil/filter changes on a short consistent interval (make sure that include a fluid check and a Lube as required) and keep those tires balanced and the vechile aligned and IMHO your MINI will be that best friend you are looking for when you are out on the road.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I agree with Todd completely, and MINI will not only tow you to the closest dealer, they'll arrange a car for you to drive till yours is fixed, then they'll bring yours to you on a flatbed.

Whether it's the right car for you or not only you can decide, but I've done a lot of miles in my MINIs over the years and never been let down by even a flat, and I don't even run the runflat tires.

But even if you get a flat, MINI will come to the rescue, it might take a while if you're out in the boonies, but they will come.

1000 miles a week is a LOT of driving, but chances are good you'll never use the rescue service ..... I believe the Countryman has more than enough room in it that if you were really worried you could carry a spare tire with you.

Life's too short to drive boring cars.... :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I, too, drive a lot, but not exclusively in my MINI. When I'm driving the "other" car, I always wish I was driving my MINI.

In 130,000 miles, I've had one out-of-town problem. I've had a similar experience with a Toyota. Guess which one is more fun to drive? :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

A member of the Central Iowa club puts a ton of miles on her MINI for work -- she ends up getting a new MINI every couple years so never has to deal with out-of-warranty issues. I think she's had 4 or 5 MINIs the time I've known her.

Your mileage is quite extreme. 60k a year is just unreal. If it were me, I think I'd be looking at a VW diesel or something that can go for 200-300k miles without much fuss. That way you could get maybe 3-4 years out of a car to keep the costs down.

That's not meant to rule out a MINI. I'd say try one and see how it goes.

You'll need a good source for oil changes. New MINIs have a 10k oil change interval -- that's like every 2 months for you.

Run flats? I switch to non-run flats and bought a spare that I keep in the car.

I live by the same philosophy as Minidave - life IS too short to drive boring cars. And there are so many fun cars out there now.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Junebug

Post by Junebug »

Thanks everyone! Considering I'm looking for a new vehicle because I managed to survive totaling my other one, the whole "life's too short" philosophy is what led me to the Mini. I think I need to spend more time with one. Given how much time I spend in my car, I'm a little apprehensive about road noise and that head rest...am I the only one who has a round skull? I don't understand the shape.

So, if its under warranty, and I have some issue while up in the boonies of Nebraska, they will still send a flat bed and arrange a rental? I wasn't sure if there was a distance limitation. I do drive a ridiculous amount of miles for work. Sounds like the girl from Iowa would be a good person to talk to. Maybe we work in the same field :)
I figured I might buy the extended warranty and trade it in every couple years to avoid issues. I know Minis retain their value pretty well...but with all those miles, I'd be curious what kind of trade in value I'd get towards a new one.

Decisions, decisions! Thanks again for all your input! Normally I would take my time looking at cars, but since my old one is toast I have to choose ASAP! Anyone know if Baron does overnight test drives?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, they will, just contact your Motoring Advisor and they'll arrange it for you. they also provide loaner cars when yours is in for service (just arrange it when you schedule your service visit) and yes, they will do whatever they need to to keep you motoring (under the terms of the warranty)

Are you thinking of All4? Seems like it would be the smartest move if you have to drive western Kansas and Nebraska in winter.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

You are asking all the right questions.

You can use Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/) to play some what-if games on depreciation. Countrymen first came out in 2011, so you can calculate out what a high-mileage one would be worth now (2 years later).

Overall, MINIs typically hold their value well.

The other questions about service and overnight test drives -- you'll need to talk to the dealership to get some answers. There are contact links thru their website. I think we all have our favorite Motoring Advisors at the dealership, I'm sure people on the board here would be willing to give recommendations if you are in need.

My high-mileage MINI friend in Iowa is Janis -- she works for the Census Bureau performing field research. All of her mileage is in central Iowa, so for now service isn't an issue. However, before Des Moines got a dealer, she was dealing long distance with the dealer in Omaha. However, from Des Moines, that's only 2 hours away.

Is the Denver area closer to you than Omaha or KC? Not sure how fast west you are located.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Junebug

Post by Junebug »

Right on! I'm glad to hear they do overnight test drives. That will be very helpful. Its hard to get a good feel after work during rush hour :?
And yes, I would be going with the All4, All weather tires.

IowaMini, I live in south Kansas City, but I drive to western KS and NE about every 3 weeks. I actually wrecked in Scottsbluff, NE...which is a lot closer to Denver than my home! Hopefully, I don't find myself in that situation again anytime soon. More frequently, I am in Lincoln/Omaha...so that dealership is a bonus. I saw the St. Louis dealership seemed to have more used 2012 CMs with a lot more loaded than the new 2012 I have my eye on at Baron. The online reviews seems questionable.

I've definetly been bit by the Mini bug. I don't have the time (or funds) to get one customized right now, but I got all excited about trying to make a blue and red "Team Zissou" Mini. They won't let you create one with the Cooper Red top and light blue body though! Apparently they do not want color clashing Mini's out on the road. :(
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

OK - you are here in town. Then Baron is the logical choice.

Be sure to check out the new Paceman model that will be at Baron tomorrow from 2-7pm.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Another Zissou fan? I din't thnk there were 2 in the whole world!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Junebug

Post by Junebug »

Oh, we're around...you just have to look closely for the team Zissou junior member ring :wink:
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Junebug wrote:Oh, we're around...you just have to look closely for the team Zissou junior member ring :wink:
Get the mini in the light blue you want with a white or black or body color top and then have Todd's Mods do the red roof wrap. There ya go
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW