Bike Rack Options

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
CowboyCoop
MINIAC
MINIAC

Bike Rack Options

Post by CowboyCoop »

So for my Birthday, I am getting a bike, and was wanting to be able to haul it around, with another bike, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I have done a lot of research, and was rather shocked, to the hitch attachment, that would require pulling the back wheels off, the wheel wells, and the back bumper, 7 hours to do, at $150.00 an hour, the other option was also doing the same thing, except you would drill a 3 inch hole into the back bumper. Any other options? hints? help? And no I do not have a roof rack, and not sure if I would be able to Maneuver a bike off my 2012 Clubman. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)
Marc
Attachments
Criticalcycles.com
Criticalcycles.com
charcoal_orangebike.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
2017 Island Blue Mini Countryman All 4 S "Parker Blu
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Bike Rack Options

Post by Minidave »

We installed a Curt hitch (Minidomore is similar) on a Clubby on a shop day, took about 2 hours. He installed it precisely so he could carry bikes on the back. What takes the extra time is wiring up the electrical connector to tow a trailer, you don't need to do that for a bike rack of course. The 3" hole is for the receiver, so when you're not using the rack, it's behind the lic plate and it doesn't show.

Another alternative is the MINI bike rack that goes on the roof.....I think Counterfit MINI wanted to sell hers, you might check with her.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I've got a roof rack on my Mini (that I'd be willing to sell with two bike rack attachments.....) and I thought I was going to have a problem getting my bike on and off but it really wasn't that hard.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I have a Minidomore on my car, MiniX2 installed it and I think may have written up some notes on this forum somewhere. I'll say it was relatively simple, since I just had to provide coffee and cookies. :lol:

I've attached two styles of bike rack to my MINI, a Yakima Doubledown and a Kuat NV. The Yakima rack sat just high enough that is was awkward for me to get bikes on and off the rack. The Kuat is terrific, made in Springfiled, and has a lower profile so it doesn't block the back window when not in use. Both racks block full viewing of the license plate and I did get pulled over for this in Gladstone (just a warning).
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
CowboyCoop
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by CowboyCoop »

Well I made the plunge, and went ahead and had Baron put on the mini fini sport link on the 2011 convertible, it seemed very daunting, and complicated, and I must admit a tad scary of this major surgery Beep Beep would need to be put thru, Side well pulled off, bumpers taken off, holes drilled, it was like having a loved one going into surgery. Well apparently Mini Fini neglected to send the template, as to where the holes needed to be cut. So the service Tech, wanted to measure and remeasure, adding another night in ICU at Baron, I was fine with that, as they say measure twice cut once or more if that what it takes But it looks good, now I just need some Spring to go with the bikes. :lol:
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Congratulations. I had to drill holes in my bumper when I installed my sport link too, but I had the template. See pics for result.
Without Hitch
Without Hitch
331.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
With hitch installed half way.
With hitch installed half way.
332.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
CowboyCoop
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by CowboyCoop »

Looks great I will have to post some pixs, when spring has sprung, snow goes away. :D I do have a pix of the pre post surgery. :(
Attachments
Minifini
Minifini
Minifini1.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
CowboyCoop
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by CowboyCoop »

Well it was such a beautiful weekend we took the convertible, with the bikes loaded on the new mini fini bike rack, to the trolley trail, everything worked as expected. Including the weather :D
Attachments
new bike rack
new bike rack
Minifiniwithbikes2.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 3763 times