Mods for 2012 S Coupe

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
dwraymond
MINIAC
MINIAC

Mods for 2012 S Coupe

Post by dwraymond »

I am picking up a 2012 S Coupe next Saturday. I am considering putting on a catback exhaust and having been looking at Borla and ALTA. Any suggestions on either of these or any other kit that would be best. Also considering ALTA or any coldair intake. Looking for suggestions or info from your experiences. Thanks for any response.
dwraymond
Gears

Re: Mods for 2012 S Coupe

Post by Gears »

Well I haven't made any mods yet (just picked up my 2002 MCS on Wednesday) but from what I have read and from what people say 15% pulley would be the best hp gain mod you could do first, and the most recommended first suspension mod seems to be the rear sway bar. Did I get is right guys?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, except that newer MINIs are turbo charged, and as such do not have a pulley :D

The OP is asking about cold air intakes and exhausts, both of which add nice sound but don't really add any performance, unless you tune the ECU along with it. If you really want to see a gain the last piece of the puzzle is a large front mounted intercooler, like the one from Forge. With all of that you can make a noticeable HP gain......but you'll spend some serious $$$$ along the way, $1700 for the IC, around $1K for the exhaust, $500 or so for the tune and I don't know what the CAI goes for these days.....as to brands on the intake and exhaust I don't have any good suggestions, the sound is what will drive that choice, some are "droney", some are just loud. You might ask the same question on Motoring Alliance and see if you get some better answers as there is a much larger pool of owners there.

The rear sway bar is a good addition if you're going to track the car, whether autocross or road course, and they're fairly cost effective at only a few hundred $$$......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Hotchkis Competition sway bar and an Alta CAI are good choices. That is what I have to name a few.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Gears

Post by Gears »

Minidave wrote:Well, except that newer MINIs are turbo charged, and as such do not have a pulley :D .
There I go thinking I know something, I knew they changed that on the 2nd gen, just got to excited about possibly being able to contribute to the conversation! :D
Clubby Clutch

Post by Clubby Clutch »

dwraymond wrote: Looking for suggestions or info from your experiences. Thanks for any response.
dwraymond
Might look into a stiffer BOV (Blow off valve spring). It will allow your turbo to blow excess pressure off faster and close to so you have more redily available boost throughout the higher RPM line. If I'm not mistaken it only costs maybe $30 or so and takes under an hour to install if that.

http://www.altaperformance.com/coupe/mi ... ng-upgrade
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There was a fellow on Motoring Alliance selling a cold air intake, a blow off valve and a rear sway bar - one stop shopping! He also had an accessport (tuning device) and (his words) a chinese vesion of the forge front mount intercooler.....

Here's the linky..... http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/ ... z2UcAOMPP4
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Can one still get a JCW engine kit for the N18 engine? That might be a place to start. Or is your new coupe already a JCW?
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever