Any suggestions?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
REDSLED

Any suggestions?

Post by REDSLED »

Im looking to get alittle more hp out of my 02 MCS. Ive already installed a 15% pulley, CAI, borla exhaust and a retune. I still need my injectors but they aren't here yet. Im planning on a header and high flow race cat, big valve head and cam but im having issues with finding a place to custom tune at that point. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by Zack »

REDSLED wrote:Im looking to get alittle more hp out of my 02 MCS. Ive already installed a 15% pulley, CAI, borla exhaust and a retune. I still need my injectors but they aren't here yet. Im planning on a header and high flow race cat, big valve head and cam but im having issues with finding a place to custom tune at that point. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
For custom tuning I think KC Autosport is the place the Mini guys take their cars to.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Really? I hadn't heard that they were doing it...if they are that's great, we need a good local tuner. Do they have a dyno? Cause otherwise it's not really anthing a guy couldn't do at home with a "canned" tune from one of the usual suppliers.

I'd call Way at WMW and ask his advice.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I sure hope you have upgraded your brake system. With all of your engine mods you have and are getting, you have plenty of GO and now you need the Whoa !!! :lol:
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Really? I hadn't heard that they were doing it...if they are that's great, we need a good local tuner. Do they have a dyno? Cause otherwise it's not really anthing a guy couldn't do at home with a "canned" tune from one of the usual suppliers.

I'd call Way at WMW and ask his advice.
I don't know where i got the information on KC Autosport. I swore I read about it on here. I know that I have seen a lot of Mini's parked outside there shop and they do lots of work on Mini's. I'm not sure if they have a dyno. I know my brother plans, as a 30th b-day present, to get my car dynoed for me and he mentioned KC Autosports as well. I will have to double check. If they do, that would be awesome.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, there's a difference between working on them and tuning them - in the tuner's world you modify the ECU's map, then use the dyno to make sure you haven't done something that will blow it up. Then you fine tune it from there.

You can buy "canned" tunes from several places, those are maps that have been dyno'd repeatedly and determined to be safe, but you won't get the fine tuning and maximum performance from those.

The work REDSLED is proposing to do to his car is quite expensive - the cylinder head alone is a couple thousand $$$$ - so it would be best having spent big lumps of money to do a final tune on the dyno.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

Thanks for the idea's, I wasn't aware kc auto sports had a dyno but I do know they have some software capabilities. Im fine with the "canned tune" im currently running but like Dave said, when I put the head, cam and header on I'm going to want to have a customer dyno tune. Without that I cant see the point. I guess I was just hoping there was someone local doing mini's and I wouldn't be required to drive down to dallas or futher lol. As for brakes ive got a jcw kit im waiting to install. I haven't made up my mind on suspension mods as of yet.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Well, there's a difference between working on them and tuning them - in the tuner's world you modify the ECU's map, then use the dyno to make sure you haven't done something that will blow it up. Then you fine tune it from there.

You can buy "canned" tunes from several places, those are maps that have been dyno'd repeatedly and determined to be safe, but you won't get the fine tuning and maximum performance from those.

The work REDSLED is proposing to do to his car is quite expensive - the cylinder head alone is a couple thousand $$$$ - so it would be best having spent big lumps of money to do a final tune on the dyno.
Would be worth inquiring to them and other shops in the area whether they actually have a FWD dyno.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I had my 04 MCS dyno'ed twice at a shop on Merriam Dr. They tuned Toyotas and Mustangs and the such. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the shop. :(
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

davester wrote:I had my 04 MCS dyno'ed twice at a shop on Merriam Dr. They tuned Toyotas and Mustangs and the such. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the shop. :(
It's possible that's the same shop since KC Autosport is on Merriam Drive.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Zackattack28 wrote:
davester wrote:I had my 04 MCS dyno'ed twice at a shop on Merriam Dr. They tuned Toyotas and Mustangs and the such. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the shop. :(
Kansas City Autosport Inc
6420 Carter St
Shawnee Mission, KS 66203
(913) 677-0707
kansascityautosport.com‎

I thought they only did service and repair work -- at least that's all I've ever used them for.

If I were serious about the kind of mods that are being discussed, I'd be talking to Way (Way Motor Works) or Chad (Detroit Tuned).
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Zackattack28 wrote:
Nope! This shop was off of Johnson Dr. on Merriam Dr. There were two shops together in an L shape.

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

One of the guys from work told me about the shop on Johnson drive, he wasn't sure if it was still there but I think i'll drive by on lunch this week. I suppose im putting the cart before the horse as I still need to find a core to send off when I order the head. I plan on keeping all my stock components.
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

You might be talking about MC Racing. Right at Merriam and Antioch.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

KC Autosport does some wild engine swaps. I've seen a E30 BMW 318is stuffed with a BMW V-8. Heard he also put a 6cyl BMW engine in a TR 6.
Mr. F56