bad news

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
monty
MINIAC
MINIAC

bad news

Post by monty »

On Sunday I was doing some cleaning inside the MINI and checking the oil and stuff like that. I started the car and it did not sound right. It was making a air leak sound. For the past week it had been throwing codes. The codes would reset, but would return. Anyway the engine would idle fast then stall and then the EML light came on. I had the MINI towed to KC autosport. And then came the bad news. :( They said the engine has lost compression.They said that they could pull the head but it would start costing big money. If I was to have it repaired it would really cost. So if anyone knows of any Clubman S or Cooper S with reasonable miles on on it. Please pass it along. But at the same time I'm still kinda questioning there diagnosis because, doesn't the EML mean there is no control between the throttle and the pedal ?
2015 MINI Cooper S. Thunder Gray/Black roof, cold weather package, sport package, JCW Tuning kit and exhaust.
Name : Handsome Rob
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: bad news

Post by MiniManiac »

Sorry to hear that.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Sorry for the bad news :(
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

monty wrote:On Sunday I was doing some cleaning inside the MINI and checking the oil and stuff like that. I started the car and it did not sound right. It was making a air leak sound. For the past week it had been throwing codes. The codes would reset, but would return. Anyway the engine would idle fast then stall and then the EML light came on. I had the MINI towed to KC autosport. And then came the bad news. :( They said the engine has lost compression.They said that they could pull the head but it would start costing big money. If I was to have it repaired it would really cost. So if anyone knows of any Clubman S or Cooper S with reasonable miles on on it. Please pass it along. But at the same time I'm still kinda questioning there diagnosis because, doesn't the EML mean there is no control between the throttle and the pedal ?
Sounds like what happened to my car. The EML came on and it went into limp mode. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer. Take it to Baron for an estimate. Independent shops can get it wrong.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You can easily do a compression test to see if that's the problem, but like Zack says, take a good look at the harmonic balancer to see if the rubber is torn. A harmonic balancer (aftermarket) is about $350......you can install it yourself, or bring it to my shop and we can do it.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Mark, did you get another opinion?
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
monty
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: bad news (UPDATE)

Post by monty »

Monty is still alive !!!!!
I can't believe that KC Autosport missed it that bad. Yes, I did get a second opinion. I brought the car to Baron. They called an hour after they got the car and said it was a air leak around the inter cooler. So they fixed that and as long as they were in there I had them fix a couple of leaks I knew about and they reset the codes and checked the compression. And they said it was ok. And there was some recommendations. That I think we can fix on the next shop day. I'm going to get him today and we'll be back motoring tonight. :D
2015 MINI Cooper S. Thunder Gray/Black roof, cold weather package, sport package, JCW Tuning kit and exhaust.
Name : Handsome Rob
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: bad news (UPDATE)

Post by Zack »

monty wrote:Monty is still alive !!!!!
I can't believe that KC Autosport missed it that bad. Yes, I did get a second opinion. I brought the car to Baron. They called an hour after they got the car and said it was a air leak around the inter cooler. So they fixed that and as long as they were in there I had them fix a couple of leaks I knew about and they reset the codes and checked the compression. And they said it was ok. And there was some recommendations. That I think we can fix on the next shop day. I'm going to get him today and we'll be back motoring tonight. :D
Good deal. I have heard it go both ways with Baron being wrong and KC Autosport being right but that isn't always the case. Definitely helps to get a second opinion rather than go with the worst possible answer. Long live Monty.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Nice :D :D :D

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Good move, I'm glad it turned out well!

What else needs attention? We'll start planning for a shop day, probably in early April.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Glad you got a second opinion! I had the opposite experience. After setting off some codes, Baron said I had low compression in 2 cylinders and needed an engine overhaul for a minimum expense of $2,500. I took it to KC Autosport for a second opinion and they said compression was good and all I needed was new spark plugs. Been running great since. I still use both of them to service my car, but a second opinion is necessary sometimes!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili: