MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

Post by Minidave »

Today was master/slave cylinder rebuild day. There's a 4th one not in the picture - the booster. I did it last week.
Attachments
IMG_2706R.jpg
IMG_2706R.jpg (139.05 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

My rod bearings arrived from Ca today, so I got on with the rebuild.

First to go in is the crankshaft, center main cap carries the thrust washers.

Then the connecting rods get pulled up to the crank and the caps installed.

Once everything's in and snugged up I checked to see if it rotated freely, and it did.

So - time for the torque wrench. Before I tightened anything I double check the setting with the electronic tester and set the torque wrench accordingly, then torque them up a little at a time.

Once the crank was in and torqued, I set the engine back on the transmission temporarily so I could install the rest of the odds and ends onto the block and check the fit of the block to the transmission - since this is a Sprite block I wanted to make sure it was all copacetic......so far, so good!

More as it happens.....
Attachments
IMG_2707R.jpg
IMG_2707R.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 27870 times
IMG_2709R.jpg
IMG_2709R.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 27870 times
IMG_2711R.jpg
IMG_2711R.jpg (124.24 KiB) Viewed 27870 times
IMG_2713R.jpg
IMG_2713R.jpg (169.26 KiB) Viewed 27870 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Timing chain, water pump, front pulley, oil pump and a few more bits on.....

Right now I'm going to start work on the head matching the exhaust ports to the gasket and to the header, the intake is already done.
Attachments
IMG_2719R.jpg
IMG_2719R.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 27863 times
IMG_2714R.jpg
IMG_2714R.jpg (171.56 KiB) Viewed 27865 times
Last edited by Minidave on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I need to bring my torque wrench by and check out the calibration.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Gonna be a hot rod.
Mr. F56
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

IowaM1N1 wrote:I need to bring my torque wrench by and check out the calibration.
sure, just call and let me know you're on the way.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

All my parts showed up today, so I'm back to full speed again.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The engine was just sitting on the transmission while I added a few parts and sorted out a few things, so today I pulled it back off so I could install the gaskets and seals and bolt it down once and for all. Before I could do that I had to modify the locating dowels - the holes in the Sprite block were about 40thou smaller that the ones in the old Mini block so I modified the dowel pins to fit the new block.

Once on I installed the timing gears and set the timing....

Next the front cover and pulley.....the timing cover has two different sized bolts in three different lengths, it was a bit of a puzzle figuring out which went where.....

I also finished the port work on the head, but the new cam came with new valve springs and I'm going to go down to the auto parts store and borrow a valve spring compressor and change them out. That will give me a chance to make sure all the grinding dust is out before I reinstall the valves.

I also worked on the suspension.....the new upper control arm bearing kits came in so I pressed the new Torrington bearings in both sides and reinstalled the arms. I made a tool to get the old ones out and had to modify it further to get them out of the other arm that I'd already assembled. Now I can flip the subframe over and install the rest of the parts, and get it ready for the engine once it's finished.

I still have to modify the rear crankcase cover for the breather I'm going to add, and I have other tweaks I've still got to do before I put the clutch end together, but it's coming along, for sure.

More as it happens.
Attachments
IMG_2723R.jpg
IMG_2723R.jpg (154.46 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2713R.jpg
IMG_2713R.jpg (169.26 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2719R.jpg
IMG_2719R.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2722R.jpg
IMG_2722R.jpg (189.22 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

i am the 1001 viewer!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Tonight I finished the head, I did the port matching on the exhaust ports and replaced the valve springs with the ones that came with the new cam. Next I locktited the head studs down and set the head on. The rocker arm assy is also held down by the head bolts.....I'm replacing the original stamped steel rockers with the "S" forged rockers.....when I took the assy apart I found the rocker shaft worn badly, so tomorrow I'll pick up a new one from Victoria British.....that's all for tonight......
Attachments
IMG_2728R.jpg
IMG_2728R.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 27821 times
IMG_2729R.jpg
IMG_2729R.jpg (180.28 KiB) Viewed 27821 times
IMG_2730R.jpg
IMG_2730R.jpg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 27821 times
IMG_2731R.jpg
IMG_2731R.jpg (118.29 KiB) Viewed 27821 times
IMG_2732R.jpg
IMG_2732R.jpg (147.68 KiB) Viewed 27821 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, Victoria British let me down this morning, they didn't have the rockershaft, and wouldn't for 3 more weeks. So I started looking at the usual suspects and their price was 2-3 times higher!

So I consulted the wise and powerful Google-Fu and found one at a Toyota/Jaguar dealer in Michigan, of all places, and for even less than Victoria British charges! On top of that, the place is staffed by a VERY knowledgeable woman, who's been selling parts for British cars for over 40 years! Yay, finally a person who knows their way around British cars parts...actually that's not fair, all of the people I deal with at 7 Enterprises, MiniMania and even Victoria British are very good but she was extra sharp and easy to deal with.

So, in the meantime, on with other things. We just got another big rain storm blown thru here and the humidity is over the moon, so painting is out for another day or three but I still have parts that need cleaning, derusting and so on. I also have two axles to put together and some new wheel bearings to install in the hubs. Lots to do......

I still haven't decided on where I'm going to mount the electric fuel pump either....... I need to carry on with lots of electrical work yet actually....the heater fan doesn't work and I haven't wired up the aux electrical port I installed for my Garmin and phone charger. I also have a pretty nasty rattle in the left door to find and cure.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today I modified the crankcase to take a breather - it didn't have one and I think this may have been part of the reason it leaked oil - too much crankcase pressure.

First I had to drill out the hole in the top part of the case then bore and tap two holes to mount the breather can - I also made a gasket for the base.

Then on the inside I had to drill some holes to allow the vapor to get to the breather. Once that was done I installed a new crankshaft seal and then it could go back on the engine. After that the flywheel and clutch assemblies went on, then the clutch cover and starter.

As soon as the rocker shaft gets here (hopefully tomorrow) I can torque down the head and adjust the valves. Once that's done it's pretty much ready to go back in the car. I still have some suspension work to do before that can happen, but I think my target of driving it by next weekend is in sight.
Attachments
IMG_2738R.jpg
IMG_2738R.jpg (96.25 KiB) Viewed 27805 times
IMG_2739R.jpg
IMG_2739R.jpg (95.36 KiB) Viewed 27805 times
IMG_2741R.jpg
IMG_2741R.jpg (96.57 KiB) Viewed 27805 times
IMG_2743R.jpg
IMG_2743R.jpg (194.98 KiB) Viewed 27805 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today I got the left side suspension all put together again, now I have to tear down the right side and get everything degreased and ready for the bead blaster and paint. I did them one side at a time in case I had to refer to the other to put the one side back together, but it went back pretty easily.

First I drive the bearing races into the hub with a brass drift - you use brass because it's softer than the steel race and can't damage it.

Once both races were in I packed the bearings with grease and installed them and the seals, then the disc/hub and stub axle go in. then pack the stub axle CV joint with grease to (yes that disc looks terrible, I will have to replace it soon). Before putting the axle in I put the inner boot on, you turn it inside out and put the clip on the inside, the reverse it over the inner CV. Then put the outer axle boot on, and drive the axle into the CV joint with a good dead blow hammer, and clip the boot.

Once assembled to the suspension arms I added the brake caliper and she's ready......
Attachments
IMG_2747R.jpg
IMG_2747R.jpg (176.25 KiB) Viewed 27796 times
IMG_2749R.jpg
IMG_2749R.jpg (124.56 KiB) Viewed 27796 times
IMG_2750R.jpg
IMG_2750R.jpg (98.19 KiB) Viewed 27796 times
IMG_2751R.jpg
IMG_2751R.jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 27796 times
IMG_2752R.jpg
IMG_2752R.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 27796 times
IMG_2754R.jpg
IMG_2754R.jpg (166.55 KiB) Viewed 27796 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I took the new rocker shaft and new forged rocker arms down to KC Engines this AM and they used the big Sunnen hone - the one they use to hone connecting rods - on the rockers. It took the guy all of ten minutes and he did them while I waited. I can't say enough good things about Matt and John at KC Engines - good peeps!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

When last we left off our intrepid hero, Spaceman Spiff, had just returned from the KC Engine works where they'd reamed his rockers, we pick up the story there.....

I returned the cylinder head to KC Engines because I'd changed out the springs and left in the shims that they'd used, we decided to double check the spring pressures and modify the shims as needed. Once again KC Engines came thru for me with a quick turnaround, and best of all - no charge! I did take them a box of Krispy Kremes the day before, so I considered us even! :lol:

Now I could re-install the head and the rocker assembly. Once I did I noticed two of the rocker arms were really off center to their respective valves, so I pulled the rockers off again and added a couple of hardened washers to space the rockers over for a better fit. Once that was done it went back on and the head finally could be torqued down. Next I adjusted all the valves to .015" clearance (seems like a lot to me, but that's what the cam mfr calls for) and finally put the valve cover on. I installed the spark plugs too after I chased the threads to get any paint out of them and that pretty much buttoned up that side of the engine.

I also popped in the inner stub axles, but I haven't added an grease yet. Once the engine's about in I'll grease the pot joints and assemble the shafts, that way it won't get contaminated.

I also finished assembling the subframe today. I painted the parts for the right axle yesterday and I was surprised to see the paint had cured enough that I could handle the parts without leaving fingerprints, so I went ahead and tapped in the bearing races, packed the bearings, installed them and the seals and torqued the stub axle nut. Then I packed the CV joint, installed the axle shaft and boots and she was ready to go into the subframe. Last I added the caliper, new hoses and all the brake lines that attached to the subframe.

Don's coming over tomorrow and we'll marry up the two parts and see about sliding it into the car. After that it's wiring, more wiring, and then some wiring before she's ready to crank up oil pressure for the first time. I did go down and pick up the Brad Penn oil too - I'm going to try it with 10W40, at least for the break in period.
Attachments
IMG_2747R.jpg
IMG_2747R.jpg (176.25 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2751R.jpg
IMG_2751R.jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2752R.jpg
IMG_2752R.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2754R.jpg
IMG_2754R.jpg (166.55 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Minidave wrote:
IowaM1N1 wrote:I need to bring my torque wrench by and check out the calibration.
sure, just call and let me know you're on the way.....
I am in the same boat....maybe on a shop day sometime.

Edit: This is an awesome project Dave, thanks for sharing the story!!
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Red letter day........it's in!

Seems like a long time ago I was just here with it.......that pic was taken April 2nd.
Attachments
Motor workR.jpg
Motor workR.jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 27754 times
IMG_2777R.jpg
IMG_2777R.jpg (120.67 KiB) Viewed 27754 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Much has happened over the last week, I got the engine pretty well buttoned up but then I hit a snag.....an electrical problem that vexed me for days on end. When I'd hook up the battery all the dash warning lights would come on - now that I found and fixed it it seems so simple - one of those forehead slap moments, cause it seems so obvious in retrospect....oh well.

The problem - a new fuse panel that wasn't made like the old one - two of the terminals were bridged which sent power from a terminal that's always hot to the "on" side of the ign switch. The fix, remove the bridge! Simple, huh?

The problem: since the back side doesn't show I didn't realize it was made like this....

The solution - a bridge-ectomy!

Now I need to see if my neighbor can come over after work and help me bleed the brakes and clutch, then it's time to make some noise and smoke!
Attachments
IMG_2802R.jpg
IMG_2802R.jpg (131.14 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
IMG_2803R.jpg
IMG_2803R.jpg (108.48 KiB) Viewed 27341 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

You mean tire smoke ?
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ha! with 70 hp ( I hope) and tall gears, I doubt it! :mrgreen:

I'll be happy if it can hold 70 mph on the highway.................and do it quietly.

Nah, smoke because I've handled the exhaust with oily hands and there's plenty of oil in the cylinders from the engine build to burn off.

Final bits went on tonight.....I got a "cold air intake", plumbed the crankcase breather, and modified the air cleaner and valve cover so I could use that little red breather thingy on it. Still have some wiring to do, some relays to install, brakes and clutch to bleed and so on, but it's ready to run. Planning to have it on it's wheels tomorrow......
Attachments
IMG_2805R.jpg
IMG_2805R.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 27735 times
Last edited by Minidave on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGHHIK ... e=youtu.be

The noise in the background is a box fan I have running in case it made a lot of smoke out the exhaust....it didn't.

I only ran it for a few seconds as I didn't have any coolant in it. Tomorrow I'll do that and warm it up thoroughly so I can re-torque the head Sunday.

Still have a lot to do, can't seem to get any fluid out of the rear brakes, even with my pressure bleeder - don't know what's up with that, the fronts bled right out. I'll fuss with them some more tomorrow.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Very nice, Dave!
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

More progress today.....it's down on its wheels and off the rack and it now has working brakes!

I found an arcane, weird brake procedure in the old Haynes manual - push the pedal down sharply, hold three seconds, let up slowly, wait 15 sec, then repeat. All I know is that it worked.....and I got a ton of old, black nasty fluid out of the back wheel cylinders. They also followed the (to me) normal procedure of bleed the left rear, then the right rear, then left front, then right front - which is how I've always done it, but the Bentley manual said bleed both front and rear on one side at the same time.......I followed the Haynes way instead and it worked. I was thinking I was going to have to buy a new master cylinder and maybe the proportioning valve too @ $400 the pair plus freight!

I also put the seat in and bolted it down.

I ran the engine for about half hour today, it ran a little warmer than I thought it would, just slightly above the middle of the gauge so I'll need to watch that - I removed the aux electric cooling fan as I didn't think I'd need it with a clean cooling system but I may still - I never drove it in 90* temps before either so I don't know where it will run - I did put a 160* thermostat in it. Oh and my heater valve leaks, I can get a new one at Vicky Brit's so no worries there.

I ran out of energy - plus it's bloody hot and humid out - so I didn't try to drive it yet, I should do that tomorrow. I still need another front outer CV joint boot clamp, then everything in the drivetrain is buttoned up. Once it's rolling I'll need to get it up to school on the alignment rack and get the ride height and alignment straightened out. Then I can really put some miles on it.

I still have an odd electrical thing going on with the rear fog light, but worst case I'll just disconnect it.
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's been 4 days since my last post.....in that time I've been tearing my brains out trying to figure out why Buzz wouldn't run. First I found it had filled the cylinders with gas and hydrolocked the engine, once I got it turning again by taking out the plugs and blowing gasoline all over the shop when I cranked it - now it wouldn't run. It would start, run 5 - 10 sec, then die - like it ran out of fuel. I spent 3 days trying to figure out why it wasn't getting gas properly when a very dim lightbulb went on in my head. I remembered that my '62 Cooper S used to do that once in a while, and what caused it was that the points had closed up. It's so easy to get used to modern electronics that just always work, and you forget that older cars require routine work, and that if you don't do it they can stop like this. If you do regularly "tune them up" they work fine.

So I took out the points, filed them smooth (I still have a points file), reset them, lubed them (I also still have a tube of cam lube - most people wouldn't even know what that is) and Buzz started and purred like before.

So now I have to redo all the things I undid while trying to find the culprit, and then I'll head up to school tomorrow to do the alignment and off for a test run. If it survives that, I'm back on track for our Wed departure to Milwaukee. I think the reason it flooded is that I left the key on inadvertently all day and it burned the points and flooded the engine.

Here's hoping the next few days go better than the last few!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Wow. I hope Buzz is running alright today ;)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!