Persistent unsolved AC problem

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Persistent unsolved AC problem

Post by Zack »

Okay this has gone on for weeks. I've had my car at Baron 3 separate times to figure it out and it still isn't solved.

First off

3 weeks ago I hit a large bump while pulling into a parking lot. After that the AC started acting funny. Blowing slightly humid air on occasion and then going back to cold.

They thought it was a recharge. They recharged it. I left the parking lot, turned around and came back when it started blowing warm air only.

They then found that someone had spliced the compressor harness. They replaced the harness and recharged for a second time. Problem went away for a day and then returned but this time while in MAX AC, then fan would slow down, cool would still come out drivers side, not as cold out of passenger side, humid air in car. This would last for 10 seconds or so before returning to normal.

Went back Monday. They recharged and couldn't duplicate the problem. Car seemed fine. Was driving it to my parents and then back to Lawrence. It did it 3 times. once in Auto mode and twice in MAX AC mode.

They have checked everything, or so I believe. The compressor is fine, the condenser is fine, the system appears fine. I did a test drive with the mechanic and couldn't duplicate the problem. 20 minutes after leaving the dealership on my own it does it.

Now before you think it's just me. I'm not the only one who has noticed it. Three different friends on 3 separate occasions have also noticed it while riding with me. And one of them is a mechanic.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is and even Baron is stumped.

Thoughts?? Questions?? Snide Remarks?? :-)
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Persistent unsolved AC problem

Post by Minidave »

Sounds like the blend door vacuum motor has failed - assuming it has one that is......second guess would be the expansion valve is sticking.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I immediately assumed it was a "Zack" issue :). Only kidding, I have no idea and I hope you get it resolved.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:I immediately assumed it was a "Zack" issue :). Only kidding, I have no idea and I hope you get it resolved.
Lol, when is it not a Zach issue haha. It all started from driving on a road where they tore up the pavement and then hitting a large bump a little too briskly. From now on when ever you all do something that causes a problem you can't solve, just say "I pulled a Zach". :-)

But seriously, I honestly can't figure it out. On days below 90 degrees, including heat index, it works fine.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

More info.

The situation I am experiencing when the AC does what it does, it sounds like someone trying to close a door against hurricane force winds for about 30 seconds and then it slowly opens back up letting the wind back through.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Blend door....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Blend door....
That's what Jeff thinks but since it only started after I hit a bump in the road rather hard they think it may be just a loose connection or something came loose and not that the blend door has failed. If it is in fact a failed blend door that could be pricey I'm sure. What's weird is I don't notice it at all on days where the temperature is below 90.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S