ECU Tune on 2010 Clubman S

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
OPKSSteve
MINIAC
MINIAC

ECU Tune on 2010 Clubman S

Post by OPKSSteve »

I bought a beautiful 2010 Clubman S in December.....and I am totally hooked! The car is so much fun! I've also been bit by the "I just want a few more HP and a few more lbs of torque" bug. To date I have changed the tubing for the turbo (noise-maker delete), put in a bigger intercooler and a new more free-flowing down-pipe.

Now I'm toying with the idea of tuning the ECU. Here is where I am hoping to get some guidance. I haven't found a good way to know how to judge between tuning companys or even if I want my ECU flashed or a "piggy-back" like the Unichip. Here is what I am hoping someone can tell me:
--That they used one of the companies and that they have been happy.
--Is there anyone in KC that does custom tuning?
--Lessons that anyone has learned the hard-way?
--Any where that I can get a honest, non-biased evaluation of tuners or chips.
Any responses would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Steve
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: ECU Tune on 2010 Clubman S

Post by nine5raptor »

Steve,

I have used an Alta/Cobb AccessPort on my 2010 R56S for several years now. I typically run the mildest tune, set up for a stock car on 91 octane, though I ran the 93 octane tune for a while and was filling up at BPs only. The AP comes with a dozen or so tunes for various levels of mods. It provides a moderate power boost, but it also eliminates the catless downpipe error, has the option for a linear throttle (which I really like), and is a comprehensive logging device.

I have used it across a mix of intakes (4 different ones), a stock exhaust, a cat back, a catback and catless downpipe, and now catless downpipe and stock catback as well as without and with a water/meth injection system.

Unfortunately the system is no longer available from Alta, but can be had on the used market for ~$500. Since it is a hardware devices that loads the tunes onto the car (can only be paired with one vehicle at a time), it can be resold and retains it's value.

With that said, I have been looking into a Manic tune just for something different. Childish as it may be, I wouldn't mind having some pop and burble on my 2010, which Manic includes, but the AP does not. The cost will be higher, though, in the neighborhood of ~$950-$1250 based on initial conversations with KC Autosport. It also is loaded by them onto the vehicle and cannot be resold. It is also customized for your set up/mods and I don't know the cost to modify it for future mods, as they are added.

There are a few others on the market, but I went with the only one that had a large user base at the time, the Alta AP, and I wanted something fairly conservative. Manic is newer, but has been out for a few years now and I think they have a good handle on tuning, but I have not tried them.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
OPKSSteve
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by OPKSSteve »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking that I would go with the Manic as well.....but I'm not that interested in the pop/burble :) If anyone has installed, Manic I would love to hear how happy you are!!
OPKSSteve
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by OPKSSteve »

Well, I bit the bullet and went with the Manic tune from M7. I sent the ECU to them yesterday. In about a week I should be able to provide a fresh perspective on an ECU tune.
Thanks,
Steve
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

OPKSSteve wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and went with the Manic tune from M7. I sent the ECU to them yesterday. In about a week I should be able to provide a fresh perspective on an ECU tune.
Thanks,
Steve
I would be interested to hear what you think of it. I'm still considering switching. Did you go with the SPS as well?
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
OPKSSteve
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by OPKSSteve »

I am extremely happy with the Manic tune! The performance increase is impressive! I did not go with the SPS switch, as I knew there would be a time when I would choose for my car to go slow :) In sport mode I get the burble-pops. In normal mode I don't.

I would be happy to let you ride with me or drive if you would like to see the difference. Call me at 913-568-6882 if you would like.

Thanks,
Steve