October 24th - Heartland Park Touring Club - anyone?

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

ylwjkt wrote:I'm trying to get someone to work for me that day....
Are "others" welcome?
Absolutely, bring the Misfire, I mean Crossfire with you!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

I sure want to go

Post by MiniGeoff »

With the confidence of having done it some, and not feeling sick and jumpy because of lots of medicine, I think it'd be a lot more fun.

I have to check the schedule, however, to make sure I can make it.

Geoff
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Yeah, I got my registration paid and my helmet was delivered today!! I am ready, let's go!

If you are interested, I found my helmet online for only $72.90 delivered, and it is Snell M2005 rated! I Ordered it Sunday and it was delivered today via UPS from Indiana.

www.motodirect.com
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Cool, must be one of these?

or did you get the one with the flames on it?

I know, you got one to match your car.........

:lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Minidave wrote:Image
I would have loved that one to match the MINI, if it wasn't a scooter helmet! :dunce:

I actually got this one

and it is quite nice for the price. I wanted to make sure it was M2005 rated so it would be good for several years. Plus, when will I ever use it again, so why pay lots of $$. :wink:
~Laurie~

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Good deal!

Nice helmet.....what brand is it?

Edit: I found it..........

MADE BY EXL SPORTS. EXL IS AN AMERICAN COMPANY THAT SPECIALIZES IN MOTORSPORTS HELMETS AND ACCESSORIES

I'm surprised you didn't get one of these tho.......

Or this pink one............. :lol:

That's a good link, I'll have to save it for future reference.......Cheap Helmets
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

dimini wrote:Paid my fees today. count me in for intermediate class.

Hey Petek, please get your planets and ducks in a row so you can make it! Bring the big boy, doesn't have to be a MINI.
The logistics of bringing the other car may keep it at home, but we'll see.

I'm off next week to Run & Gun in St. Louis. Three days of track time with cars much, much faster than I am in mine!
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Minidave wrote:Image
Actually after trying the helmet on and wearing it for awhile, I wish I would have gotten that one instead. :? I feel my vision is extremely impaired in the full face helmet. I guess it will just take some getting used to. Right?

Hey I know, maybe I can have Todd install some pink flames on my helmet so you know I'm a girl. :thumbsup2:
~Laurie~

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Most of the people who drive in closed cars like the MINI prefer an open faced helmet, but mine is very similar to yours and I don't find it to be a problem. PeteK also wears one and he takes his face shield completely off, I'll do the same next time. It either unclips or unscrews at the corners, so it's easy to do.

I think Pink flames would be fun, and cool!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Laurie - I like your helmet. You did a good job. Don't let MiniDave fool you, his is just like the pink one with a spike on time - AKA Hogen's Heroes syle.

PeteK - You can bring the mini, but you are still going to have the same exhaust note on the video when you pass me whether you're in the Mini or the cobra. :wink:

I'm just excited to it again. I think HPT has the right idea with this. Great track, good instructors, nice price = lot's of fun!
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Hey Dave, you might want to re-post the link to the pre-high performance driving manual. It was you who posted that, wasn't it?
petek

Post by petek »

Laurie wrote: Actually after trying the helmet on and wearing it for awhile, I wish I would have gotten that one instead. :? I feel my vision is extremely impaired in the full face helmet. I guess it will just take some getting used to. Right?

Hey I know, maybe I can have Todd install some pink flames on my helmet so you know I'm a girl. :thumbsup2:
Laurie,

The first time I drove with my full-face helmet I felt the same thing... my vision seemed to be limited. After 5 minutes or so I completely changed my mind and have no problem with the helmet.

I think what is going on is the helmet, while not restricting the vision, places something "new" in the field of vision. Since we're not used to seeing the "new" stuff in our field of vision we tend to fixate on it. With a little bit of time we forget the "new" stuff and simply get back to seeing what we need to see.

For example, my entire life I never had to wear glasses. A few years ago my eyes aged enough that I now have to wear reading glasses. When I first started to wear reading glasses the frames of the glasses really distracted me. Now I don't even notice them.

For me, the added safety of a full-face helmet is attractive. If all I ever ran on the track was an enclosed car I might consider a non-full face helmet because an open-face helmet would be cooler. (This is why I remove the visor... to bring air into the full-face when I'm in the MINI.)

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary, contents may settle during shipment. ;)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

PeteK posted this link for last month's event, it's a really good guide to performance driving, I recommend everyone read it. I know I've reviewed it each time I go to the track and always find some nugget that helps me..........it's a PDF so make sure you have the latest free version of Adobe on your computer..............

High Performance Driving Manual
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

I'm paid up and confirmed for the 24th. Now I just need to wait and see if I can skip class that day.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Sigh...

Post by MiniGeoff »

Well, no trip in October for me. The boss is out that week, and so it's left up to little old me to take care of the clients and as a result I can't take a half day.

The drawback of being in a small group and being the only real person in the company who can do my job.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

petek wrote: Laurie,

The first time I drove with my full-face helmet I felt the same thing... my vision seemed to be limited. After 5 minutes or so I completely changed my mind and have no problem with the helmet.

I think what is going on is the helmet, while not restricting the vision, places something "new" in the field of vision. Since we're not used to seeing the "new" stuff in our field of vision we tend to fixate on it. With a little bit of time we forget the "new" stuff and simply get back to seeing what we need to see.
I have already removed the plastic face shield, so that may help. Maybe I will just spend the next few weeks wearing it around the house and watching tv. Hey, do think I would get looks if I wore it for my drive to and from work everyday? :lol:
~Laurie~

LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

Laurie wrote: Hey, do think I would get looks if I wore it for my drive to and from work everyday? :lol:

Probably not any more than usual. :wink:
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Hey Kathy, where is your post saying you are all paid up and ready to go? You better not leave me hangin' here. I don't want to be the only girl. I wouldn't want to show up all these boys by myself! 8)
~Laurie~

LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

I have a loaner helmet now. However, I'm not sure about getting out of work. A couple of things have to fall into place before I can request the aftrernoon off.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Huh, I guess you will just have to come down with some 24 hour bug late in the afternoon on the 23rd then. :wink:
~Laurie~

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There you go...............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Laurie wrote:I don't want to be the only girl. I wouldn't want to show up all these boys by myself! 8)
I'd share in the estrogen representation but they are scared of drop-tops at the track. If you want track time with a couple other MiniChix, you'll find us at the Speedway Wednesday, turning left from 12 to 4. :lol: There are still spots available for $275.

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
petek

Post by petek »

Laurie wrote:
petek wrote: Laurie,

I have already removed the plastic face shield, so that may help. Maybe I will just spend the next few weeks wearing it around the house and watching tv. Hey, do think I would get looks if I wore it for my drive to and from work everyday? :lol:
If you've never worn a helmet before it would be a great idea to wear it around the house or driving if for no other reason than to get used to the extra weight on your head. There are exercises (shrugs) that you can do to strengthen the neck muscles so that wearing a helmet isn't as tiring. Then again, we're not pulling 2 or 3 g's on the track so you shouldn't suffer from tired neck muscles!

I know a fellow who used to wear his helmet while driving in his roadster between Topeka and KC because the helmet would keep his head warm when the temperature dropped below 40.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I should probably start another post but why when you can use bold, right?

For those of you who have new helmets and would like to try them out, may I suggest a trip to Saddler's in Olathe (Indoor go-cart). This is the best way I know of to get a bit of racing in and to try out the new helmet.

It's just as fun in old helmets.

How about Sunday afternoon - about 1pm?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Alex, are you gonna have your camera mounted on board at HPT on the 24th?

I can't go to Sadlers, I'm leaving for a 2 week trip on Monday, sorry.....but I think a grassroots gathering of MINIacs at Sadler's would be a hoot! Maybe later in the year then?

Oh, and I saw a guy driving a Cobra west on K-10 the other morning, wearing his open face helmet - which stuck up about 8" higher than the windshield header!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"