Random thoughts....

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:I've never eaten greek food. Is it good?
Simply put: YES :)

You have never had a Gyro?? Yum, yum. It is the food that stays with you all day.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

If by stays with you all day you mean being able to taste it every time you breath or burp, then yes, it sticks with you! :oops: It really doesn't matter to me though, I love it anyway!

You gotta try a gyro! It is gyro meat on a pita with onions and tomato. The sauce they give you is the yummiest! I usually have them hold the onions and I have been getting a chicken gyro, but it is still very good.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Sounds good. Gotta hold off on the tomatos and onions though. :?
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

In case you wondered what sort of animal gyro meat comes from:

DD
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

man, i love animals, but that dog.. yikes, i'd have no trouble kicking it.

and here's a real gyro
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

hmmm tzazaki sauce!

greek food is all about olives, grape leaves, lamb, feta cheese, yogurt, phyllo dough and pita bread. and deserts are quite possibly my favourite ever - baklava!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

RojoCohete wrote:man, i love animals, but that dog.. yikes, i'd have no trouble kicking it.

and here's a real gyro
+1 about the dog.

That gyro makes me want a philly cheesesteak sandwich...
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Laurie wrote: You gotta try a gyro! It is gyro meat on a pita with onions and tomato. The sauce they give you is the yummiest!
That yummy sauce was what I was talking about buying at the Mediterranean Market--Tzatziki. I'd be happy with just the sauce and a pita. :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
mzupon
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mzupon »

If any of you all are in the Lawrence area on a Sunday, the Mad Greek downtown does an all you can eat brunch buffet, including Gyros fixins, starting at 11am.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
-Zupon, OP MINIAC

Jack is THE Todd Pearson Signature Series #2 2006 MCSm HB w. Sport/Cold and iPod adapter.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Laurie wrote:If by stays with you all day you mean being able to taste it every time you breath or burp, then yes, it sticks with you! :oops:
EXACTLY!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

DDodge wrote: Max's AutoDiner is now a greek place, good gyros as well as the traditional fab tenderloins. :)

DD
We had lunch at Max's today. Their Greek offerings were Gyros and Baklava. It was just okay, not bad, but not as flavorful as Mr. Gyros. The Baklava was the frozen variety, which is still good in my book. :)

I'm thinking we need a KC Foodie thread...especially since we are lame, old, non-adventurous eaters. :wink:

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

"I'm thinking we need a KC Foodie thread...especially since we are lame, old, non-adventurous eaters. :wink: "

Johnna[/quote]

I vote yes on the foodie thread -- but then again I say yes to FOOD in general
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

So, if you folks love gyros, you might consider a doner kabob. I haven't seen any in KC, but in short, it's a Turkish "variant" of the gyro. I find them in NYC, throughout Germany, and of course, in Turkey. While in Istanbul 10 years ago, I lived on donors and Turkish coffee (a high -caffiene, hand-brewed rosewater sludge w/generous amounts of Cardamon sprinkled in). Yum, in an old world kind of way.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Thanks for the earworm, dimini! That mention of Istanbul put a They Might Be Giants song in my head:

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

I should visit the "Name That Tune" thread a little more often to exhaust the inner tunes screaming to come out! :lol:

Johnna
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

dimini wrote:So, if you folks love gyros, you might consider a doner kabob. I haven't seen any in KC, but in short, it's a Turkish "variant" of the gyro. I find them in NYC, throughout Germany, and of course, in Turkey. While in Istanbul 10 years ago, I lived on donors and Turkish coffee (a high -caffiene, hand-brewed rosewater sludge w/generous amounts of Cardamon sprinkled in). Yum, in an old world kind of way.
Yes, doner kabobs are awesome. I used to eat them all the time in Germany. Now, Turkish coffee is another story. I have had it, but I really don't like it. It is like drinking tar........yum.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

should i start a thread for non car involved fun stuff?

brett and I go to a lot of concerts and music events, and we're usually the only ones we know there (except for when i drag johnna to lawrence with me on a school night).

usually an amusing evening involving a drink or two and some great music. If anyone's interested, i'll post about some upcoming stuff...?
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Sounds fun!!! Just a Passenger would not be interested since he turns into a pumpkin around dark (well 8:30-9:00) :D
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Esmter wrote:should i start a thread for non car involved fun stuff?

brett and I go to a lot of concerts and music events, and we're usually the only ones we know there (except for when i drag johnna to lawrence with me on a school night).

usually an amusing evening involving a drink or two and some great music. If anyone's interested, i'll post about some upcoming stuff...?
Post away...start a local music thread or a local appearance/national music thread. John is all the time trying to round up folks to see his favorite beach bands, which means I get drug along on school nights then, too. I do have the inside cocktail and dessert scoop though, after years of being brought along to hear bands that I don't know I like yet. :lol:

(and for those looking for good music recommendations, Em usually has them. I found a new fave based on her recommendation and have since ended up working in the same venue with that band a couple of times. She's got a good ear. :) )
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

now this is cool...

LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

Is that for real? Cuz if so, that's way cool.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

That's gorgeous! And just when I thought I was done with mods...

I had been looking at a Continental kit for the back but this is waaaaay over the top!

And just to keep this totally off topic, fat free pudding cups suck. :x
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Fat free = taste free!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:Fat free = taste free!
I thought so, too...but taste free would have been welcome! The chocolate fat free pudding cups had this nasty taste that was like diet soda, mold, sour cream and chocolate syrup mixed together. And to top it off, it was the kind of taste that lingers. Ick.