I want a classic. FINALLY, SOME UPDATES

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I want a classic. FINALLY, SOME UPDATES

Post by dimini »

Hey classic mini folks. I've been trying really, really hard to just look the other way everytime I see (or think of) a classic mini. But it's not working. Every day it gets worse. I'm ready to give in to the craze and just buy one...

I really love the pickups, but am concerned that they might not have sufficient room in their cabs. I'm a 5"11 guy who drives in a reclined fashion. No problem with the sedans, but what about the pickups?

Does anyone have a pickup that I can look at? Or know of one within the Midwest? Booking a flight to either coast seems a bit extreme just for a viewing.
How many classic mini's are there in the KC area? I've only seen a few. I'm guessing there are less than 10, total. That said, is there any mechanical support in KC? Or is this the mini outback, and each owner needs to be self sufficient in maintenance. That said, how do folks handle tune-ups on minis spec'ed w/ later-model engines?

All and any answers appreciated. Thanks!
[/b]
Last edited by dimini on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If you go the Honda engined route, you'll have plenty of independent Honda shops to help you with engine work.

If you get a "Stock" engined car, it's one of the easiest engines to work on there is. Get a good book and go learn, it'll be fun. I can help a lot, having owned and rebuilt them in years past. These are primitive cars by today's standards, and that's part of the charm, but it's also part of why they're easy to work on. There are virtually no electronics (unless you add electronic ignition - which I would do right away and eliminate the points) and all the parts are readily available.

I say you should go for it, but you do need to try a few out to find a good one, don't just go by someone's recommendation unless you trust them thoroughly. That said, I know where there's a really nice Mini Traveler, belongs to a friend of mine, live's near Austin, Texas - not too bad a drive.

Not 100% sure he wants to sell it, but he's been making noises about it lately....truthfully, I've been giving serious consideration to buying it myself and selling my Jag..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ylwjkt

Post by ylwjkt »

I saw a pickup at the St Louis European Auto Show a couple of weeks
ago. It appeared to have comparable room in the cab to the front seat of a sedan. They are far and few between, so a pickup would definitely be even more elite. 8)

I know one of the mechanics that works at KC Autosport has a classic
Mini, I believe his name is Tim. He did some excellant work installing the shift light on my car. Perhaps if you locate a Mini in the area he could check out the mechanics for you before you buy.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

If you're looking for one you can go to www.minimania.com they have alot for sale on there. Some of them are really nice and there is a Mini Truck on there too with a matching trailer.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Great info., folks.

Gosh... I am having a difficult time with "forum formatting 101". I can't seem to get anyone's comments displayed in this thread as quotes... oh well. Bear with me.

Beautiful traveler, Minidave... Sell the Jag, get the traveler and have plenty of cash to replenish the 401K. (I'd have a hard time parting with a beautifully restored E, though).

My wife loves retro... including the woodies. I'm conflicted... I'm still trying to outgrow my need for speed, aka vtec lust. I really like the 10 and 12" wheels on the "originals", though, and I think Vtec conversions add too much power for brakes/wheels, right?

On pickups, it seems like the cab would be a squeeze. When the seats pushed back to accomodate a 5'11" driver, are you literally pressed against the bulkhead? The battery and spare tire is stored behind the seats... Doesn't seem like there would be much space left for humans. Can you imagine the look on people faces while driving around in KC with an 11'-long pickup? :) I think I would be laughing the entire time while driving it. I typically hate SUV's and despise the HUGE-sized Rams of today-- which is why, ironically, I could enjoy having the opposite.

The pickup w/matching trailer listed on minimania (and other sites) is still in the UK. Don't think I want to experiment with the stress/madness of European purchases. The few pickups I've seen ( web only) seem pretty trashed... which makes sense because after all, they tend to be working farm "trucks". Gotta be a small farm operation... Chipmunk farms? :lol:

It's an easy decision to get a classic. What's hard is figuring out whether to get a $6-15Kclassic with retro styling & period equipment... or go the opposite and have a vtec model professionally built. BIG cost difference, and I haven't yet got a feel for whether there's any resale market for a honda conversion. It appears that the bulk of classic minis sell between $6 and $15K for weekend drivers. How small a market is there for one that pushes $30K? I wouldn't worry about the cost, if I had any confidence that there are more than just six of us, nationwide, who could or would pay up for a professionally restored vtec mini hotrod.

My wife is probably the wiser... go retro, go "original."
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I had a VW Rabbit Pickup, I'm 5'10" after a good night's rest and I had the seat all the way back all the time, and I know the VW is bigger than the Mini, might be a bit of a squeeze........I'm like you, I'd want to try one for fit first.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Just got an email from my friend with the red Traveler, I may try to buy it, it sounds really tasty...........

dimini, I'd think a Traveler would be just the ticket for you too, more room inside, able to carry pretty much anything the trucklet can and so on...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

A traveler? You're probably right... especially considering my wife's desire for a woody. There's a link to a UK company off minimania's site--I think it's called M-Tec. Anyway, they show an almond green traveler woody that's sooo sweet. I like the earthy 60's OEM colors like almond green, the pastel yellow similar to '68 VW yellow, pastel light blue and and I think one that mini calls surf blue. Each of those look really cool with the ivory-looking white tops. Almond green is nice with black, too. I can see why so many people have rebuilt their 70's-90's Minis to look like Mk I's and Mk II's.

Just like New MINIS, there are way too mini choices! I'd like one of each :lol: . Just think, three of these would still take up less garage space than one vintage Caddy.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Exactly.

I have one of those extra long garages, I could keep 2 Minis where my Jag is now.....

Years ago, I kept my first Mini in one of those metal garden sheds, it was 10 ft deep and 8 ft wide, fit perfectly and I could still get the doors closed!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

My sleuthing has paid off. I just located a Missouri resident who has a handful of classic minis, including a pickup.

I'll report back once I get a chance to see it.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Cool, post some pics, OK?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

dimini wrote:My sleuthing has paid off. I just located a Missouri resident who has a handful of classic minis, including a pickup.

I'll report back once I get a chance to see it.
Hook me up! LOL. j/p
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

clarification:

I located a mini enthusiast who owns a mini truck, among his collection. I don't know if any are for sale... My goal is just see one up close before I begin searching the globe for a pickup. :)
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

UPDATE!!!

No need to ask any more questions. I did a zillion minutes of midnight research, worldwide, and discovered that I do, in fact, need a Mini pickup. Oddly enough, there are even forums for things as obsure as Mini pickups. The web is a wonderful tool for making the world seem sooo much smaller than just 20 years ago.

So, I did my homework, test drove one and loved it except for the cramped cab and decided against getting one. That was until I stumbled into one that I just couldn't say no to. Kinda like the classic puppy adoption story. It just jumped up in my lap and chose me. All practical things aside (like tiny cab space) I found one--or it found me, and I had to have it. At this point, though, it's a restored shell, waiting to be reassembled. That could take some time, but it's officially mine. More details later...
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Hey Minidave,

Time to call your friend and sweet talk him into selling you the cool red/white estate wagon. You have to own this mini. It would be the perfect book end, a matching twin to my red/white mini pickup (which is likely to sport 10" minilites). If not minilites, revolutions at least. And it won't take up much space. Park it over next to the umbrella rack. Gosh, I saw a JOCO suburban home recently that had a master closet large enough to store it there... would need an oversize dumbwaiter to get it upstairs, though. :lol:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Not only is it a really nicely done wagon, he has a wood kit just waiting to be bolted on to it!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Nice! A woody kit. Good thing it's already red because if it were almond green/old english white, it would make my heart and brain throb.
I discovered a fun mini pickup forum: www.minipick-up.com
God help me if I find forums for Riley Elves, Mokes, and woody's... I'll never sleep again.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

dimini, look what just popped up for sale over at Mini Mania........

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
HIOSLVR

Post by HIOSLVR »

I looked for that pickup above at Mini Mania, but which of the 13 venues had it listed? I started looking then had to click away - this job is really cutting into my Mini time. :lol:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Mini mania's site seems to be down right now, I can get to the home page but nothing else. I'll try to post the link later.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
HIOSLVR

Post by HIOSLVR »

Thanks. My wife thought it was really cool, so I want to strike while the proverbial iron is hot. :wink:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Incidentally, I think it was on the first page of the listings, if you want to try for yourself later.......he wanted $14K IIRC............

OK, links are working now, check it out Here

I think if I wanted a Mini classic that was really fast, like dimini is doing, I might buy this green one and drop this into it........Arden head motor

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
HIOSLVR

Post by HIOSLVR »

Thanks much. $14,000 seems a bit much, but it really is a nice specimen. I would probably have to have it shipped back as well. I may just look for a conventional classic mini a little closer to home.

Thanks again for the link. I never did find it on my own. :oops:

Kevin
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ouch! the Ebay bid on that Arden motor went to $5400 by the end of the auction - reserve not met!

I had no idea it would be that expensive!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

The green pickup looks really nice. $14k for a super clean truck is a good price. I've seen unrestored rusty ones for $16K. (Caveate: Almost all cars look fabulous in tiny, web-quality photos). Pick-ups tend to cost about $4-5K more than Saloons as there were less than 60,000 built.

While researching Minis, I've discovered that Pickups tend to be very rough in general, as few people ever bought them originally for use other than on the farm or commercially. Pick-ups have the same paper-thin sheet metal as the Saloons, so they don't hold up to brutish elements as the "big rig" trucks in the states do. I can't imagine farming with one of these... chipmunk farms?

As for the Arden engine. Wow, nice sculpture! Definitely kinetic artwork for under the hood.