RMW Dyno Tuning by Jan March 8th but jan is confirming

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Punk_Mini

RMW Dyno Tuning by Jan March 8th but jan is confirming

Post by Punk_Mini »

Schedule of Events
Monday- Friday Tech Inspection at KC Autosport - group price TBA
Saturday TBA Tuning on the Dyno at Midwestern Dynamo
$350 for customer tune license key
$100 for 1 hour (from the first strap on the car to the the last strap off) not really a true hour.

Midwest Dynamo LLC
7946 NW Topeka Blvd
Topeka
Kansas 66617

I am looking for interest of minimum 5 Mini's for a dyno-tune by Jan of Revolution Mini Works. A Dyno-tune is totally custom and not a "CANNED" tune like evotech, unichip, MTH, or GIAC. With a custom dyno tune you dont't see single digit gains you see double digit gains which is 20hp with stock injectors and head and if you were told you can see double digits with a CANNED tune its all smoke and mirrors. Thats where the dyno comes in to play you see the gains with your eyes as the tuning process occurs and its more individual because every Mini is different so the tune is going to be different each time. Jan is know for the top high performance head in the Mini World known officially by all who have received and witnessed its performance "The Jesus Head". If I get some interest I will get in contact Jan and then go from there.
Last edited by Punk_Mini on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm interested if not quite ready to commit - what would the dyno time cost? Best guess?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

If i remember its 65 for 3 pulls A/F
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I dynoed my Mini at 70HP at the wheels. Beat that!!!!!!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

190whp / 164wtq untuned
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So, $350 for the "tune" and $65 for three pulls, is three enought to get it done then?

Do you think these guys are as good at tuning the MINI as say Lucky dog or someone else? I have had no interaction with any of these guys, just what I read here and on NAM.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Well LDG advertises one price but when all said and done it inflates to 1k which is really ridiculous. Jan uses Dimsport which is the same software as LDG but Jan is a 100% honest man. I had a friend Erik AKA Minimusprime on NAM had his car which only has 15% pulley, CAI, and one-ball tuned this past weekend in ATL by Jan baseline of 184whp with 1hour of Jan tuning Erik is making 194whp but something that Jan noticed about Erik's ecu is that everything looked exactly like a GP but the only difference was it was a Dec. 05 Build MCS non-jcw. Jan thinks if there are more cars like Erik's and after talking to Tuls and Brian of Fireballed just a hand full of the 06's could have the same advantage but another thing Tuls pointed out was it also comes down to how the person broke the car in if they did by the book they will see a low baseline and if you broke it in like how you drive it you will see a high baseline and from Tuls you don't doubt a man who has a daily driven 400whp Twincharged Mini Cooper S that essentially has a stock motor with absolutely no rev limiter . Erik said the price for his tuning was 435 (350+ price of dyno). So if I can get some interest I will talk to Jan to get the ball rolling on something that is quite the sensation right now for the R50/R53 crowd.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

I'm interested. Let me know more about the details as you firm things up. I'm assuming he'd come to KC?
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

The closest dyno of the kind Jan works best on is a DynoDynamics and there is one in Topeka called Midwest Dyno.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

OK, I'm in...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Really nice advantage for him to come out is that his parents live in Nebraska so its a gain for him. Some of the projects he has been working on have been mostly directed to the R53. The coolest test car is his GP and its ridiculous as its bored and stroked from 1.6L -> 2.0L with the Rotrex Supercharger and its making some insane kick in the pants power and from what I have heard from people who have rode and driven the car that it is totally mind blowing at the same time scary for a Mini to be that quick. He has been working on a head for the R50 and R53 Automatics its called the Moses Head and its not so extreme and all out as the Jesus Head which is at one with the R53 manual. He is also working on a turbo-only setup. He also has an exhaust system that is port matched and engineered to work hand and hand with the jesus head. All of this is some of the greatest leaps in performance and very dedicated leaps.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

When do you suppose this all might happen?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

I'm interested...

Post by MiniGeoff »

Just need to know when so I can adjust the ole budget to make it fit.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

I have been in contact with Jan. I am waiting on reply as to when he would be able to do this because right now he has dyno-tuning days in Detroit, Wylie,TX; Indianapolis, all in the coming weeks and december. I also need to get in touch with a Mini Mechanic like Marcos or if someone knows of anyone else because to prep before the dynotunes all boost leaks, slipping belts stuff like that has to be check and fixed if need be.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Any update on this?

The cool weather should make for some nice HP and torque numbers.......

Looks like you've got at least 4 people ready to go, I'll bet if you can firm it up some more will come - especially those who like to go to HPT to run laps.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

February is the month on account of his current schedule and holidays. But other then that everything looks good over here still looking for a call back from the dyno. I am going to give them another call tomorrow at a better time then I had before oops.

For myself before the dynotune I am getting the Jesus Head w/440cc injectors to accommodate the future 8,000rpm redline. After talking with Jan about the head and injectors he said i should be seeing around 250 wheel HP and close to 200 lbs of torque. So I am definitely forward to all of this as much as you all.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

All that on stock brakes? You might want to think about.

Don't get me wrong, GO is good but STOP is essential!
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

the easy solution is more aggressive pads. Stock brakes have quite a bit stopping power its all in the pads. Then additional improvement slotted rotors.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Keep us posted Alex, I think as we get closer to the new season at HPT more of us might be interested in fine tuning our engines.............hope this happens, I'm eager to see if there is really a noticeable improvement or if it's just hype and I'm willing to invest this much to find out...........plus I think it could be a fun day with a bunch of other Miniacs.

BTW, are you going to also organize a "check up" day ahead of time in case some need to put on new supercharger belts, plugs, filters and so on before the tune day? No point in going in for a supertune without having the basics covered first.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Hey sure thing Dave. I am really anxious also because the factory tunes on all Mini' is so under par and so much they aren't even at the border between safe and cross your fingers. For on the track I think the new torque you will gain will help out of the turns into the straights stuff like that all very beneficial especially for you Dave you have the works correct. If i am correct you have the 380cc injectors and the somewhat better flowing works head so you should be able to see between 200-215 actual whp possibly more and a raise redline of 7500 which is great because I know you understand that the car still has alot in each gear but the stock rev limit is just so short and disappointing. I am really excited myself to get this all going. Marcos at KC Autosport would be able to do inspections the day before going on the dyno and this would be on a friday at KC Autosport and tune on saturday. Also if anyone has any issue that could arise between now and then to have it taken care of on friday.

I rearranged my priorities with my car I am first doing the tune to my car as is to get an idea of what I have so far then when I go out to AMVIV I am going to get the Jesus head w/ 440cc injectors and retuned for those components.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Did you get anybody from your thread on NAM to commit to going with us?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

I emailed Jan an update so far and I am waiting on a weekend date that he will make it out here. Like wise as soon as I get a date from him I will arrange the day before with Marcos over at KCautosport and he is really excited. What Marcos will be doing is checking belts, making sure fluids are good to go, tire pressures, and whatever anyone needs checked and replaced. He will also get a group price figured up for us also. Once I have a date from Jan I will make it public on the performance section of NAM, M|U, Mini2, and some other boards.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

UPDATE

I finally got a call back from the dyno in Topeka on account weather and phone services down in topeka. He told me that for groups its $100hr so what other dyno tune days have done was split the total among the participants so how ever many people we get its going to be $100 a person for dyno time. The tune is still $350

All i need to get do is a
- Head count of current people ASAP
- Get a weekend scheduled with Jan
- Talk to Marcos and get a group rate
- Get ready to make some POWER
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm in.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
petek

Post by petek »

So it's $450 and sometime in January?

My MINI has a 15% pulley and that's it. What sort of torque / HP increase could I expect to see with a ECU tune?