Garage Day

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Garage Day

Post by sundance »

This Saturday (Nov. 17) I am hosting a garage day at our house. I'll be swapping out wheels and tires on the GP and installing an iPod interface . I just wanted to offer up the opportunity for folks to drop by, hang out and wrench on MINIs for a bit.

Time - 1 PM. Bring a six pack of something to share.

If you'll be coming, send me a PM and I'll send you my address and directions. I'm in Lenexa one mile east of SM Park for reference.

Cheers.

Todd
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

How much wrenching is "a bit?" I've got springs to install. :lol:

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Hey Todd this sounds perfect because I am actually needing some help in getting the s spoiler detached from my boot because next week I am getting an M7 M-Wing from my friend Blake. Oh and I have the M7 Exhaust installed and it sure is the deepest, throatiest, pretty loud cat back hell it was so loud initially that they added another resonator making the composition 2 resonators and 2 mufflers and the mufflers are the thing that gives it the unique sound.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Is an xB allowed to show up?
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

1.) I have no clue about installing springs but if someone else does...

2.) Rear spoiler - no problem. I've removed one or two before.

3.) xB parking is on the street. :wink:
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Awesome Todd all I need to do is have the double sided foam tape removed once the wing is detached so I can reattach it with out it sticking back down.

I have done springs. The major tool needed are a pair spring compressors.
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

I'm in.

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'll be there to pull my front bumper to take off the tow hitch on it. Any idea what I need to bring? I've got a super low racing floor jack that actually fits under my car, and some jack stands. Do I need anything else?
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

count me in...

Sounds like a good time.

I've got a couple of jack stands I'll bring along with a floor jack if anyone needs an extra.

Todd, any tips on removing the vinyl from the sun roof? I think I'm going to take it off for the winter before I have a new one put on next spring.
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: I'm in.

MiniGeoff wrote:I'll be there to pull my front bumper to take off the tow hitch on it. Any idea what I need to bring?
Here's the tool list from the bumper removal project over here (done by John and Brett--thanks again guys!!):

set of torx
10 mm socket
phillips head screwdriver

And this:

http://store.webbmotorsports.com/forum/ ... c.php?t=16

Have fun!

Johnna
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Extra jacks and jack stands are always good. I've most tools needed for what's on tap so far. Maybe someone should bring an extra ratchet and socket set (metric). I've got a couple sets of Torx.

Bentley, I've got a heat gun and adhesive remover so that's all that you'll need to remove the sunroof vinyl.

Don't forget to send me a PM for the address and directions.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

This is starting to sound like one very good time.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have a set of coil spring compressers, if they'll fit this size spring............I'll be happy to bring them along.

Anything else you all can thing of that you might need?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

I'll bring extra tools - I've got sockets - rachets, etc as well as some torx stuff.
Bentley

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:I have a set of coil spring compressers, if they'll fit this size spring............I'll be happy to bring them along.
Dave--

You rock for offering--but I'm not sure I have enough time to install springs on Saturday...and I'm having conflicting thoughts between springs and coilovers. Opinions?

Here's my concern...I want to drop the car by about 1.5" all around, which I can do with just the springs BUT I'm also planning to have a hitch installed that will tote a cargo platform and 250 lbs. of umm...cargo! Since I won't be using the hitch with a trailer, all of the weight will be tongue weight. I'm thinking I might want to firm up the car a little in addition to lowering it. Thoughts?

Johnna
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You are sort of doing some conflicting things, lowering the car means either stiffer springs so that you don't bottom out or a rising rate....but when you add that 250lbs extra weight hanging off the back, it seems like you'll need even stiffer springs, and shortening them too will make it ride like a rock when there's no load on it. So, what to do?

You could lower it if you had some sort of extra load device like air bags or air shocks that you could inflate when you carry the load, if anyone makes anything........

If your goal is strictly to make it look cooler by lowering it, I'd look for some air shocks.........

And no problema on the compressers, I have them if you need them in the future, although I don't know that you necesarily do need them to change the MINI springs.........

And Steph, what exactly is wrong with Bumblebee? I'd like to see you get her on the road and I've offered to help twice now............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:You are sort of doing some conflicting things, lowering the car means either stiffer springs so that you don't bottom out or a rising rate....but when you add that 250lbs extra weight hanging off the back, it seems like you'll need even stiffer springs, and shortening them too will make it ride like a rock when there's no load on it. So, what to do?

You could lower it if you had some sort of extra load device like air bags or air shocks that you could inflate when you carry the load, if anyone makes anything........

If your goal is strictly to make it look cooler by lowering it, I'd look for some air shocks.........

And no problema on the compressers, I have them if you need them in the future, although I don't know that you necesarily do need them to change the MINI springs.........
Thanks for the input. I do want to lower it to lessen the open space in the wheel wells but I was also warned by the manufacturers of two MINI hitch systems that I need coilovers to support the extra weight. It seems like I could accomplish both goals with adjustable coilovers but would sacrifice ride comfort. My favorite local street rod mechanic suggested I lower with springs and trailer my cargo but I'm trying to avoid buying a MINI trailer which would cost about what the cargo I'm trying to haul costs. What to do, what to do...
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

Clubman? :D:D:D
Bentley

formerly:
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Well guys I am really excited for this get together.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Sounds like a good time. I will be there---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

It sure sounds like it'll be a good time. I was just going to hang out, as there isn't really anything I can do to my car, but I might as well rotate the tires. Saturday will probably be a good time to do that, as I'm driving to Salt Lake City next Tuesday.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I am gonna join in on all this fun too! I may even bring an iPod adapter to be installed. :wink:
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote: And Steph, what exactly is wrong with Bumblebee? I'd like to see you get her on the road and I've offered to help twice now............
She's got a water leak and an oil leak. Once I figure out where the second oil leak is coming from (there's actually two but I figured out where the first one is coming from) you can help me fix her if you want. :) And she needs an oil change. LOL
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'd be pleased to teach you how to fix her............ 8) :P

Your dad OK with a "Stranger" coming down to help you with your car? Of course, it would be better if you could bring it to my garage where I have all the tools you might need..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:
Minidave wrote: And Steph, what exactly is wrong with Bumblebee? I'd like to see you get her on the road and I've offered to help twice now............
She's got a water leak and an oil leak. Once I figure out where the second oil leak is coming from (there's actually two but I figured out where the first one is coming from) you can help me fix her if you want. :) And she needs an oil change. LOL
Minis don't leak oil. They are simply marking their territory. All Minis have a minimum of 2 oil leaks. I don't worry about mine marking. I just put down some cardboard and all is well. :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniManiac wrote:
Counterfit_Mini wrote:
Minis don't leak oil. They are simply marking their territory. All Minis have a minimum of 2 oil leaks. I don't worry about mine marking. I just put down some cardboard and all is well. :)
LOL. Mine has two leaks. I can fix one easily though. :) Just now she has no oil in her :shock: (well ok, she's at the minimum mark..) Dave, I don't think my dad would mind someone else showing me how to work on my mini. He doesn't really like it anyway. LOL. We have plenty of tools at my house (two big toolboxes).
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000