Random thoughts....

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

In JoCo you protest the assessment. The deny it. You appeal the 1st time. The deny it. You appeal the second time and bring your newly hired attorney along with all the recent comps in your area. That's when they realize you are serious and they give you a reduction and a two year hold on any further "adjustments". ...but you have to threaten legal action to get what you want. It's a broken system - AND BROKEN IN THEIR FAVOR!!!!!!
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

hctiev wrote:In JoCo you protest the assessment. The deny it. You appeal the 1st time. The deny it. You appeal the second time and bring your newly hired attorney along with all the recent comps in your area. That's when they realize you are serious and they give you a reduction and a two year hold on any further "adjustments". ...but you have to threaten legal action to get what you want. It's a broken system - AND BROKEN IN THEIR FAVOR!!!!!!
Lose x 3 as the cost of hiring the lawyer exceeds the yearly increase in adjustments. :(
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

so on 12.23 i go to a sleep clinic to see why i can't fall asleep. now if i don't sleep at all, what will that tell them?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Got my happy notice from Johnson County today, looks like things stayed the same this year; they never go down, do they..................

One other little trick I noticed, we've always been able to pay our property taxes in two increments, one half by Dec 20 and the other by June 20. I now get late notices if I haven't paid the second half by May 1st!

Rojo, I have no response for you, I don't know what to tell you............... :?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

RojoCohete wrote:so on 12.23 i go to a sleep clinic to see why i can't fall asleep. now if i don't sleep at all, what will that tell them?
Have you tried Lavender? I wasn't a big believer in aromatherapy scents until I made the drive to Wisconsin with 300 lavender-scented wedding favors in the car. It was difficult to stay awake long enough to get out of town!

At the same wedding, the hotel couldn't find the reservation for the priest...we checked under his last name, nothing. Then we tried his first name, still nothing. The reservation was finally located. It was listed under "Father." But that won't help with your sleeplessness. :lol: I'll see if I can come up with any other dreadful wedding stories to share. They will surely bore you to sleep. :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

RojoCohete wrote:so on 12.23 i go to a sleep clinic to see why i can't fall asleep. now if i don't sleep at all, what will that tell them?
Do to the stress of combat over here, I have trouble going to sleep. My wife sent me some Melatonin and it works great. You can pick it up at GNC. Good luck.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

thanks Seth, but mine's not stress related. 10 years ago, when i worked graveyard (11pm to 11am) some of the guys suggested melatonin. well the bottle says take 2, i take 6 and nothing happens.

last night i took 60mg of temazapan, 2 benadryls, and some alka seltzer cold and flu and after about 3 hours i fell asleep.

I appreciate the thought, but my sleep problems have been going on for 25 years. when i worked i had the problems, but eventually i would just crash after a few weeks of going to sleep at 3am and getting up at 5:40. but now since i don't work, i don't have that exhaustion from work to fall back on.

oh well
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

RojoCohete wrote:thanks Seth, but mine's not stress related. 10 years ago, when i worked graveyard (11pm to 11am) some of the guys suggested melatonin. well the bottle says take 2, i take 6 and nothing happens.
The small research I have seen says that, if one melatonin doesn't work, more probably won't work either. More of it doesn't increase the effect. I use it - one 3mg. pill. For me: Short term - melatonin Long term - Benadryl

Good luck with your sleep clinic! Let us know if they're any good.

DD
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Wow. That really sucks. How about beer? Have you tried that? :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

i tried 2 shots of Patron one night. other than leaving a bad taste in my mouth, nothing.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

When you go to the sleep clinic, try not to get all those wires twisted around your neck during sleep like I did. Had to call for help in the middle of the night.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

it was the ones glued to my head that bugged me the most!
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

MiniManiac wrote:Wow. That really sucks. How about beer? Have you tried that? :)
I suggested that to Brett earlier this week! We must have attended the same medical school. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

geez... even though it's clear and dry out there, everyone is acting like it's Armageddon out there
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wait till it starts raining and sleeting and freezing a little later tonight...........it will be. Armagedden out of here!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

i just got back from an hour cruise (actually i was being a good neighbor and went to pick my neighbor up from her work) and it's really raining, but no freezing yet
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I just went for a one hour cruise, too...my Monday evening drive is usually 30 minutes or less but tonight I found myself in a long line of traffic going 27 MPH on the highway. Ick. I did notice one extremely full parking lot at the Wal-Mart neighborhood market at 91st & Metcalf, otherwise not many folks were out and about.

I can't wait to see what kind of mess the garage is in once all of the ice melts off of the MINI. :roll:
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

I went to Liberty Hospital to do a 'sleep clinic'. To try and find out what's behind my sleeping issues.

I got there at 7:45 last night. They have like a regular bedroom there. Then they hook you up to all kinds of sensors and electrodes.
Anyway, after being "set up", I watched a little TV and at 10pm they asked me if I would try to sleep. So I turn out the lights and try to sleep. 4 hours later, with 3 sleep episodes each lasting less than 1 minute, they they come in to talk to me.

Apparently I failed the sleep test. One must sleep at least 2 hours so they can capture data about your sleep breathing, movements, etc. So at 2:45am, they said I could go home if I want to. So I left, a failure......

on a completely unrelated topic, we highly recommend Mr. Gyro for greek food. 82 and metcalf
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

RojoCohete wrote: on a completely unrelated topic, we highly recommend Mr. Gyro for greek food. 82 and metcalf
There's another location at 135th and Antioch. Yummy! Tasso's is still my favorite but Mr. Gyro works for a Greek fix.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

ragtopday wrote:
RojoCohete wrote: on a completely unrelated topic, we highly recommend Mr. Gyro for greek food. 82 and metcalf
There's another location at 135th and Antioch. Yummy! Tasso's is still my favorite but Mr. Gyro works for a Greek fix.
Max's AutoDiner is now a greek place, good gyros as well as the traditional fab tenderloins. :)

Don't get me started about Tasso's - thieves and dacoits.

DD
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

DDodge wrote: Max's AutoDiner is now a greek place, good gyros as well as the traditional fab tenderloins. :)

DD
Is that the one near Tasso's? The one on Wornall? Must check it out...

I'd love to get you started on Tasso's--I want the scoop! I'm always open to going elsewhere, especially if they have spanakopita and belly dancers. :lol:
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

RojoCohete wrote:on a completely unrelated topic, we highly recommend Mr. Gyro for greek food. 82 and metcalf
Yummy, we just ate dinner there last night. I love their spanikopita!

Anybody remember when they were across the street at the tiny litte place that is now Overhead door? That is when we first started going there.
There's another location at 135th and Antioch. Yummy!
Do Mama and Papa work at this location as well? They seem to always be at the 82nd location when we are there.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

OK, you twisted my arm. . .

Back in the eighties, I was an officer in an observed trials motorcycle club. We decided to have our Christmas party at Tasso's. (This is back when it was on 75th street, near where the CVS is now.)

We had two tables, with about 10-14 people at each. The ouzo was flowing and everyone had a fine time. Three of the couples at our table left their money (including tip) and went home. We pulled out our money and found we were (after our money was added) $75 short of the bill for the table. Of course little or nothing was itemized. The four of us that were left had to come up with the extra $75. This is $75 in eighties dollars. I paid $250 for the motorcycle I was using in the events at that time.

I would have thought it was just some bad arithmetic at our table, but exactly the same thing happened at the other table.

I'll never be back.

DD
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Laurie wrote: Do Mama and Papa work at this location as well? They seem to always be at the 82nd location when we are there.
I don't know...I tend to go there at closing time on Tuesdays so it's a skeleton crew by then, but always as yummy as the Metcalf location. I had no idea it used to be across the street!

We tried out the Mediterranean Market on Metcalf recently. We stopped in to get Tzatziki sauce but it smelled too good inside to just buy sauce and run. :lol: Their Tzatziki is very minty, unlike the typical American version and perhaps more like the version from Cyprus than from Greece. Still good, just a surprise!

DDodge--sorry to hear about your Tasso's experience! That's a sizable chunk of change. The food must have been realllllly good that evening. :?
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I've never eaten greek food. Is it good?
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000