Foodie Thread

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
cletus

Post by cletus »

Every time I've dropped into KC I hadda hit Jazz at 40th & Stateline. I was SOOOO glad when they opened up a restaurant here in Omaha ... same menu, same great food. A little more antiseptic atmosphere (they don't want graffiti on the walls, the spoil sports), but the eatin's the same.
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

They're building a new Jason's Deli, due to open June 28th. Hwy 152 @ Ambassador (Tiffany Springs Shopping Center), where the new Home Depot is going in.

Yea northlanders!
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

Restaurants I will miss from KC.....
Oklahoma Joe's, Osteria Il Centro, Mafia Mike's Pizza (Best cheese pizza called The Rat!), Korma Sutra, Baby Cakes, Christopher Elbow Chocolates, The Pie Lady Coffeehouse (best pie in KC), The Classic Cookie, Murray's Ice Cream and Waldo Pizza.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I love Mafia Mike's Pizza. My friend drives a tC and he's a delivery guy for them and he gives me coupons. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Toreodor's off Santa Fe behind the Phillips 66 -- best spicy shrimp faijata's in the world -- MMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!

A & M BBQ (?) in Spring Hill has killer onion rings
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Bernard Cline wrote:
A & M BBQ (?) in Spring Hill has killer onion rings
That's a good bbq place too. :) I like rosedales also.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

I Love this thread!

Post by MINImalist »

Just lost 32 lbs on Weight Watchers, and I came here to dream (about food this time). But, when we have a night of indulgence, here are our nearby faves:
1) Cafe Trio on Broadway. Fine dining, finest food, take your pla$tic. Small place, piano music. Moving soon to Main street just north of the Plaza.

2) Jack Stack on Holmes, Martin City. Need say no more.

3) LuLu's Noodle shop on SW trafficway. Funky, yummy, family friendly, chic or pork or tofu or curry or pad thai. Near several good Mexican restaurants.

We dine at other places, these are just our favorites over time. We also eat at Salty Iguana in PV (better sauce than Indep) and Waldo Pizza in Waldo.
SPAARKY:Had R56 MCS, Born 6/2008 BUT traded for an F56 in 2/2017.
R56 repairs: Turbo oil line leak,Timing Chain/Tensioner at 26K,46K, also needed at 105K. Big repair bill caused me to trade it off for the F56.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: I Love this thread!

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

MINImalist wrote:Just lost 32 lbs on Weight Watchers, and I came here to dream (about food this time).
Congrats on burning 112,000 extra calories from your personal fuel tank. That's an awesome accomplishment! :D
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Thanks, Ragtop!

Post by MINImalist »

I've turned sideways, do you see me ? :lol:

Took 4 tries, believe it or not. Trivia : Since water weighs a liltle over 8 lbs a gallon, that's 4 milk jugs I'm not carrying around. My blood pressure dropped dramatically, am now in normal range.

You know, of course, what my reward is !!!!! :D
R56 repairs: Turbo oil line leak,Timing Chain/Tensioner at 26K,46K, also needed at 105K. Big repair bill caused me to trade it off for the F56.
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

That is excellent, way to go. :D :D :D :D :D

I have lost 45 lbs since May 2007 just by eating better. I learned I had diabetes and have lost about a pound a week ever since by eating better, taking my medication and knowing why I was so hungry all of the time. In addition, my blood pressure has dropped and I am getting ready to start running again.
chknlil

Post by chknlil »

Cafe Trio 3535 Broadway downtown! DEF worth the trip. Check it out if you haven't been!!!
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

You guys are getting familiar

Post by MINImalist »

Bernard,
good work on the weight loss. Didn't I flash you the peace sign on 85th near state line couple days ago? From my Riv? Looked like someone driving the Papi..

Chicken little, now, I think we are riding the boat together this week, no?
My moniker on NAM is similar to the one used here.
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Hey, yeah I did see you, my son was in the car and I was talking on the phone at that moment. Sorry, my bad ! -- I'll get ya next time.
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

Bernard,
Just checked yer specs. Yep, an automatic. Was wondering how you juggled the phone and the stick and the boy all at once.. :)
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

Automatic (didn't have a choice at the time, otherwise 2 month wait) and Big Papi has built-in Bluetooth. Push the button on the steering wheel and I'm good to go.

Big Papi has a lot of nice toys.
RojoCohete

Sullivan's Steakhouse

Post by RojoCohete »

Had the opportunity to have dinner at Sullivan's in Leawood. Without a doubt, it was the best steak I've had since we moved here. A little pricey, but fantastic food. I highly recommend it.
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Made our third trip in 4 weeks to "Ginos" In Kearny, Italian dining the owner sings to you the kids loved it, good portions good price good food.

Northlanders enjoy.

P.S.

They like mini's
RojoCohete

Post by RojoCohete »

anyone know of a butcher shop (especially in the northland). looking for one that makes their own beef jerky.

thanks
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

RojoCohete wrote:anyone know of a butcher shop (especially in the northland). looking for one that makes their own beef jerky.

thanks
Not familiar with anything in your immediate area (go ahead, act surprised!) but I'm wondering about John's Country Meat Market in Cameron? He used to do a lot of smoking before it was popular and jerky seems like something that might be up his alley. I guess the drive would be about the same as going south of the river anyway. You could phone them at 816.724.0452.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Minidave wrote:Anyone know a really good Fried Chicken place in the south side? Since KT Fryers burned down, we've been looking for a good place for chicken..........

Technically it's pan fried, but how about Stroud's on SM Pkwy?
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Are there any good German places in the KC metro area?

Places we've found/enjoy in KC area:

- Pot Pie on Westport Rd
- original Oklahoma Joe's on Mission in the gas station
- original d'Bronx on Bell
- Cupini's on Westport
- Papa Keno's old downtown OP
- Dos Reales - 75th st
- Mexican restaurant row on SW Blvd (Manny's, Ponak's)
- McCoy's in Westport
- Strouds
- Flea Market burgers - Westport
- Santa Fe Cafe - best b'fast found thus far; on 87th
- Raglan Road - P&L district
- Waldo pizza
- Rosario's pizza
- Stonewall pizza on Pflumm
Last edited by JRutherford on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

we tried to go to Gino's tonight in Kearney. but didn't think about it being Valentine's Day, and they had reservations all night.

next time, we'll have to remember to call if we want to go on a weekend night. it did smell fabulous though!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

JRutherford wrote:
Minidave wrote:Anyone know a really good Fried Chicken place in the south side? Since KT Fryers burned down, we've been looking for a good place for chicken..........

Technically it's pan fried, but how about Stroud's on SM Pkwy?
We've been there, and frankly we found it wanting...........

We didn't think Strouds over on 85th and Troost was earth shattering when it was open either.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
LittleRed

Re: Foodie Thread

Post by LittleRed »

While in KC last week, I discovered an excellent cupcake place!! :D It's called Cupcake A La Mode and it's just west of the Plaza. Check it out. http://cupcakealamode.com/
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Foodie Thread

LittleRed wrote:While in KC last week, I discovered an excellent cupcake place!! :D It's called Cupcake A La Mode and it's just west of the Plaza. Check it out. http://cupcakealamode.com/
They even offer in-store birthday parties now--what a yummy way to celebrate! :D