Foodie Thread

Non-MINI/Mini discussion
LittleRed

Foodie Thread

Post by LittleRed »

Here are a few of my favorite places.....
Classic Cookie in Waldo
Napoleon’s on Westport
Seven down by the City Market - They give cotton candy!!!!

What are your favorites?
petek

Post by petek »

BBQ: Jack's Stack in Martin City

New Year's Eve: Le Fou Frog

Special dinners: EBT, Marina Grog & Galley, Pierpont's

Sushi: Sushi House

Steak: we used to really like Jess & Jim's in Martin City but they went down hill 10 years ago or so. Hereford house is our steak place now but still lookin' for a really good one.

1960's Italian: V's (my Mother-in-Law loves the place)

The Bistro is pretty good for seafood (but nothing like Fresh Catch in San Jose, CA)

Been meaning to try 40 Sardines...
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

For BBQ I like Rosedales BBQ. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Jack Stack, 95th and Metcalf for us.

For a triple bypass burger, you can't beat the Westport Flea market restaurant! Ummmm, yummy! And cooked just the way you like it, no shoe leather burgers there!

Elephant Bar's not bad either, 119th and Metcalf

First Watch for breakfast, terrific Belgian waffles.......

Anyone know a really good Fried Chicken place in the south side? Since KT Fryers burned down, we've been looking for a good place for chicken..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Ah... food...

Post by MiniGeoff »

I'll concur that First Watch can't be beat for breakfast.

As a picky BBQ eater, I have to say that LC's has the best meat, but Gate's sauce can't be beat. But then everyone argues BBQ in KC.

Pizza is D'Bronx, though Waldo and Uno are both close behind.

And while it sounds strange, my favorite fried chicken is at Chili's. It's just strips, but wow is it good.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

anyone know of a good butcher around? red meat at the local hyvee just ain't cutting it lately... and i want a good leg of lamb!
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Esmter wrote:anyone know of a good butcher around? red meat at the local hyvee just ain't cutting it lately... and i want a good leg of lamb!
Have you tried McGonigle's? www.mcgonigles.com, locally on 79th just East of Ward Pkwy.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

We love:

Dragon Inn (OP) for chinese food

Mr. Gyro's for greek

Mi Ranchito and Don Chilito's for mexican

Wyandot for BBQ (that's Larry's pick, I don't do BBQ)

and

Shridan's for frozen custard (mmmmm, pumpkin pie concrete)

Okay, now I am officially hungry!
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Esmter wrote:anyone know of a good butcher around? red meat at the local hyvee just ain't cutting it lately... and i want a good leg of lamb!
I don't know about lamb, but Rose has found the best beef to be at - of all places - Target! Buy the Sutton & Dodge brand, restaurant quality at Target prices!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

BBQ--- Oklamoma Joe's says it all. Thats the closest to real Memphis BBQ
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
sliboa
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sliboa »

Italian: Anthony's. It's downtown, on Grand. Great food. Great atmosphere.
Japanese: Haru's Steakhouse. It's on 119th street, near I-35. It's not the best food, but I have an affinity for this place, as I've eaten here pretty much every week for the last four or five months.
Mexian: Poncho's. It's on Main, in Midtown. It's dirty, the food is disgustingly greasy, but I love it.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I'm Cory and I'm CANADIAN
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

For Chocolate (a basic need of life..like air, shelter, water) Annedores
(sadly they closed their shop but still sell online. Christopher Elbows is a decent second.

Naploean's used to have the best (& prettiest) cakes-sadly they closed also

Thai food-The Thai Place or LuLu's Thai Noodles for the bistro verion

We popped in to Johnny Carino's the other night and that was pretty good. Nice big pieces of Tiramisu (another basic of life)

:D :D
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Davester wrote:BBQ--- Oklamoma Joe's says it all. Thats the closest to real Memphis BBQ
Let the KC vs Memphis BBQ fight begin!

:lol:

I haven't had Memphis style in a long time, honestly, and then it was just one of the big chains while at the airport in Memphis for a layover, so I can hardly claim to be an expert. The sandwich I had was good, but then I'm a KC BBQ guy, so it wasn't AS good.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Another vote for McGonigles. It's the reason the flea market burgers are the best in town. They also supply at least the sausage for BB's Lawnside BBQ (Live blues every night).

BTW - BB's needs your business for a little while, at least until 85th reopens at Troost. Best buffalo wings in town. (imho)

Southtown non-BBQ = Stumpy's and Sharp's. The Bistro in Brookside is good, if a little pricey, which can also be said for Aixois and Joe D's.

DD
speed_racer

Post by speed_racer »

DDodge wrote:Southtown non-BBQ = Stumpy's and Sharp's. The Bistro in Brookside is good, if a little pricey, which can also be said for Aixois and Joe D's.

DD
I love, love, love Govenor Stumpy's. The food is good, not outstanding, but consistently, without fail, good. I do love their ribs, though, if I'm in the mood for a little bbq without going to a bbq place. The real reason I love that place is the Ryan family (and extended family). We've known them now for 8 years and their service is unparalled. Visit more than once and they'll know you by name, too.

Pizza, for me it's Waldo Pizza. Thank goodness a few months after we moved from Waldo to LS they opened one there so I don't have to travel as far for my fix. :lol:

Breakfast/brunch/lunch - another vote for First Watch. Love that place!
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

Marlow Main wrote:For Chocolate (a basic need of life..like air, shelter, water) Annedores
(sadly they closed their shop but still sell online. Christopher Elbows is a decent second.

Naploean's used to have the best (& prettiest) cakes-sadly they closed also
Napoleon’s is closed!!!! :cry: When did this happen?
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

LittleRed wrote: Napoleon’s is closed!!!! :cry: When did this happen?
Sometime in August. :( I wonder why good bakeries in KC are few and far between? I think Napoleon was in the Westport location for at least 15 years and always busy when I visited. I'll continue taking my sweet tooth to McLain's and Andre's but it's just not the same as Napoleon.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

Chacko's in Mission is pretty good but not as good as Napoleon's. :cry: I can't believe they closed.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I wondered why no one had mentioned Andres......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

DDodge wrote:
BTW - BB's needs your business for a little while, at least until 85th reopens at Troost. Best buffalo wings in town. (imho)

DD
Would you be interested in planning the April meet, ending at BB's for lunch or afternoon snacks? Is there a fun drive we could do in that area?
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm cross-posting since this is really a Grassroots Gathering but it seems to fit over here in the Foodie thread, too. :)

Would anyone like to join us for breakfast on Valentine's Day?

Here's the scoop:

WHERE:
Hyatt Regency Crown Center

WHEN:
Thursday, February 14th, 2008

TIME:
6:00 am to 9:00 am

COST:
$14.00 per person

It's a buffet with just about everything you can imagine made with chocolate and some non-chocolate items, too. It is a fundraiser for the Fox 4 Love Fund for Children and is sponsored by the Hyatt, KUDL and several other companies in the KC area.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Charlotte has her chocolate craves working so we are in for this. What will be the dress code for AM breakfast?
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Esmter

Post by Esmter »

at 6 am sweats and pjs should be acceptable!
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Em is right, sweats or PJs are fine. In past years, we've seen everything from jeans and Ts to folks headed to work in suits. It's an "anything goes" environment. And you don't have to come right at 6--anytime between 6 and 9 works. :)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Has anyone tried La Fonda El Taquito on SW Blvd.?

I like the popsicle store (Palleteria (sp?) Tropicana) down the block but haven't eaten at La Fonda yet. I'm still searching for Mexican food on the Blvd. that I like. :?