Track/Summer Prep day(s)

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
kabootist

Track/Summer Prep day(s)

Post by kabootist »

I would put this in the thread about the touring laps, but thats for stuff about the track not, pre race prep or random maintance days. I'd be happy to host a Track prep day before we venture over to HPT. Just get things like coolant, brake fluid, tires, oil etc. checked out before we go out to the track, (and changed if needed) also people that arent going to the track would be welcome to come learn some maintaince stuff for your loved mini. I know I'd like to get some stuff done before heading to the track and maybee we can set up a schedule so it stays organized.

I dont have the greatest assortment of tools, but we can usually muster up what we need. My other thought is if someone wants to volunteer their garage, that is organized and has lots of fun tools, that would be great too. **COUGH*** MiniDave ***COUGH*** I was thinking the weekend of th 5th or 12th or both, if we have enough work that needs to be done. We could get non-track goers ready for summer and the others prepared for the track. I know I would be preaty flexible on times and the more Minis the better!

If anyone is interested or wants to propose other ideas, go for it, this is not set in stone, I just don't want my car overheating while at the track and me being angry.

Sorry to put you on the spot MiniDave, but you have the greatest garage I've seen.

My list stands at: Check/Flush Brake Fluid and Coolant, Install Rear Sway Bar (Just bought one off NAM), Fix Steering Wheel thats moving even though its "latched", Check Brake Pads, and change if needed. check Power Steering system. I don't see this taking more than a few hours if nothing needs flushed.

Addition: Looks like a new Alta CAI too, my "Custom" CAI wont hold up tech inspection at the track. :D

================================================================

This is just a generic schedule if you want to fit in a timeslot send me a PM or post and ill just edit this post. MiniDave has declared interest and volunteered his garage for some of the time, If Dave's isnt available, I most certainly can host depending on the task at hand. None of these times are set in stone, and please suggest changes. This is just to get a feel for what needs to be done and what times people are available. I will be available both weekends.

Friday April 4th: @ MiniDave's
1 PM to 5 PM - Check/Flush Fluids for Kabootist
6 PM to 9 PM -

Saturday April 5th: For those not going to Image Auto Thing, we can meet at my garage
1 PM to 5 PM - Pulley Install for JRutherford (Tentative, Awaiting Parts)
6 PM to 9 PM - Cold Air Intake for kabootist

Sunday April 6th:
10 AM to 3 PM - Rear Sway Bar day at MiniDave's

Friday April 11th:
1 PM to 5 PM -
6 PM to 9 PM -

Saturday April 12th:
10 AM to Noon -
1 PM to 5 PM -
6 PM to 9 PM -

Sunday April 13th:
10 AM to 1 PM -

Everyone is welcome (even just to come help out), and I apologize for being hyper-organized, I wish I would of been this way through college. This is the perfect time to get work done at the price of parts and have some fun with a bunch of other Mini Owners. If we get some sort of count I'll make sure to have sufficient munchies and drinks for everyone. I also understand their will be KU basketball on, and I have a big screen TV about 20 feet from my garage and the game will be on.
Last edited by kabootist on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'd be in for this, I'd like to try Geoff's oil changer as I need to do that for my car as well.

I need to install the sway bar - wish I'd felt like it the other day with all the help that was there, it would have been quick work and I could have done some great testing on the Sat Lee's Summit run........

Oh yeah, I want to take the aftermarket sunroof deflector off and see if my roof is any quieter, that thing is noisey!

Sat April 5th is good for me, anytime after 9-ish...........although ImagineAuto is having their open house/car show that day and I had planned on going to that to try and score a free (or cheap) Dyno pull.

I'm also free on Friday the 4th or Sunday the 6th.............

if Steph can bring Bumblebee we can get her oil changed too.

Davester mentioned he wanted to change his brake pads too, I think.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Schedule Moved!
Last edited by kabootist on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Let's aim for Sunday the 6th. I'd like to see my car on the dyno.

Heck, Dave - we should be able to get that sway bar installed in under 20 minutes now that we have one under our belt.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

If Mine is here by then, We could do it that same day as well. Rear Sway bar day added for Sunday, we can change the times if you would like, I have work at 5 pm so around 3 would be the latest for me.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I would like to have pads and rotors replaced but I want to do it after the Dragon. I still have life in the pads for now but I expect they will be toast after our trip. Hope we can do the install then. What are the feelings of slotted or drilled rotors or both (slotted & drilled)? I don't know what to get. What are y'alls feelings on this--
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

My opinion on the subject is that if you have the cash go for slotted and drilled, but if you want to save some money get the drilled rotors. This isn't a specific experience with the Minis but with other performance cars. I've never been a fan of just slotted rotors.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Thanks for oranizing this kabootist! I'd be interested in the wrenching day if it's on Saturday (first April Sunday is autox) possibly a pulley install or to lend a hand with other's projects.

As for the question on brake rotors, I'd personally go slotted, but avoid drilled if you intend to do much track time as there is a possibilty of stress cracks w/ drilled rotors under hard use (not a concern for street or light use). Would also suggest considering upgrading to stainless lines (resulting in firmer brake pedal due to reduced expansion in the brake lines) if you've not already done so and some more aggressive pads (I'm still researching this area - I'm running Hawk HPS which are fine for street and some autox, but not the greatest for DEs). Finally, definitely want to flush the brake fluid for the new season with some ATE blue or another high performance fluid (the ATE is nice due to the coloring to confirm you've flushed the old stuff out of the sytem).
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

mmmhhmmmm i love discrepencies in our likes and dislikes of rotors. I can understand the stress cracks and stuff, but if you are using them for normal day to day and the occasional track day you should be fine, but for autoX and crazy driving, i can understand the concern.

Besides that I'll put you in for 1-5 on Saturday for the Pulley install, we could definitely use more help on the pulley! I should have all the tools needed for the pulley install, if not, I can always buy em, i need to start stocking my garage anyway.

MiniDave: would friday be okay with you to plan a checking of Brake/Coolant fluid and flush them if necessary, im more concerned over the brake fluid than the coolant and i was hoping you had some experience or expertise on the task at hand. I will put it on the schedule as tentative until you give me a yes or no.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Sure.

And I have the pulley removing tool, but I don't have the belt tensioning tool.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Put me as a tentative on the pulley right now; still awaiting arrival of all the appropriate parts...

If it works out, I also have a Motive brake bleeder if there's not already a tool available.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I would greatly appreciate if you let me use the bleeder! could make my life 100 times easier! Will do on the tentative. We can also change the times if needed, Im sure as next week comes closer there will be more people joining....I hope
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

well, you have to keep the numbers at a manageable level, only so much room in the garage after all..........maybe I should set up a spectator"s bleachers? :lol:

Oh, and a hearty "me too!" on the bleeder!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

If we get enough people we wont need jacks or jack stands....always a benefit. I agree we don't need 10 people looking at 3 people working, It will be very un-educational, thats the reason i kept the other weekend open to. I don't think we will have the issue of turning people down, at least I don't want to do that. :cry:
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Sadly, it appears that the parts necessary for the pulley will not arrive in time for next week's wrenching - this despite having placed my order over 5 weeks ago... However, I really appreciate the offer of support and the organizer's generosity in offering up the space!
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

No worries, looks like I will be in the same boat when it comes to my sway bar, its being shipped this week from CA....I dont think UPS is that fast. As for the CAI, its coming from Chicago, so hopefully quicker. If you want next weekend is still available, as well as setting other dates past the track days. Also is it still possible to use your brake bleeder?
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

What type of intake did you decide upon? I imagine we can work out something with the bleeder - I'm also in the Overland Park area. Will let you know once I've able to figure timing for sourcing the pulley and belt.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What's the latest on this deal? We still meeting at my place on Sat? If so, who and when?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

I'm out for this Saturday...
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I bought a Used Alta, mostly just for the metal piece that comes with the intake, but I've heard its good. Also if you are a member of NAM, you can PM AltaKen and he will give you a really good deal.

MiniDave, I don't know if my stuff is going to come in before this weekend, We can do the brake/coolant fluid stuff saturday morning, around noon, I'll probably disappear when the KU game starts. Just let me know your plans, Friday is a possibility too.

I'm sending JRutherford a PM to possibly set up a time where we can borrow the brake bleeder.
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Let me know if you guys are going on for Noon on Saturday.
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

I'm in... sometime

Post by MiniGeoff »

I can't help this weekend, but in the future I'd like to be involved. My front brakes seem.... sticky? No abnormal sounds from them, but I get the "hot brake" smell that I'd attribute with hard driving under normal braking conditions, and I'm wondering if they aren't getting a full release from my calipers or something like that. Maybe on the 12th?

Also, I'm happy to volunteer up my magic oil changing device anytime anyone wants to use it. It works pretty well, and after Dave oiled the pump, I expect it's even better!

Geoff
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Geoff, are those new pads or ones that have been on for a while?
If new, it could be normal, but should only last a few days. If older pads, then not normal, and probably exactly what you think it is; a pretty easy fix tho, just take the slide pins out and clean and lightly lube them.........

Kabootist and Alex, I was going over to the Imagine Auto place for just a bit, but I'd probably only be there an hour at most somewhere close to noon and once we finish Steph's car, should I call when I get back or just leave the garage door open? A couple of people have insisted they get to help me with my swaybar install, so lets plan that for this afternoon then, OK?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Alrighty then, well I had a pretty good day anyway.......... :lol:

Steph showed up right on time and we got buzy with Bumblebee's needs, getting the old black tired oil out of her...........we also pulled the valve cover to replace a seeping gasket and were pleasantly surprised to see how clean she is inside, no sludge or buildup at all!

(Steph, don't forget to recheck her oil level and add if needed and retighten the valve cover just a bit)

We got her grille off and the oil filter out and replaced and started on her headlights. Interesting to note that the headlight retainers were completely different left to right, but we managed to get both lights replaced with new halogen sealed beam bulbs; we'll have to wait for a report from Steph on the improvement in lighting, but getting them aimed to the correct side of the road has got to help!

We also replaced her wiper arms and blades with new shiny chrome ones, but as she wanted to get to the Imagine Auto show, we left off at that point.

Future work for BB will include finishing installing the chrome dress parts for the wipers/washers and she's gonna need some attention to her rear brakes. Steph wil be ordering some wheel cylinders and new rear shoes and a rear brake job and bearing repack is next. She's also still leaking coolant, but I think a new radiator cap should be the first step there.

BB is really a nice little classic, in surprisingly good condition. The car starts on what seems like a quarter turn from the starter and runs sweetly. I'm sure Steph hasn't pushed her much yet, but get brave Steph, it's actually good for her to get stretched out a bit from time to time. 8)

After I got back from Imagine Auto, Alex (hcteiv) came by and we started the install on my rear sway bar. This really is not a hard job and I encourage anyone who's interested to go ahead and try this, you can count on getting plenty of assitance from club members, and it's only a two hour job at the most. Even with lot's of kibbitzing, we got her finished, by then dimini had also showed up and jumped in to pitch a hand, and Kabootist rolled up on his new Harley shortley after (nice bike!).

Alex had bought a eurathane engine and trans bushing kit for his car and it came with some parts that didn't fit his car but did mine, so we installed the upper bushing kit in mine. I haven't driven it far yet, but I can report that it does increase the NVH; whether it's to the point where it's annoying is still to be determined. It does tighten up some of the slop in the drivetrain on accell/decell, but not as much as I thought it would. If the NVH increase becomes a problem for me I might remove half of the insert (it's a two piece insert - top and bottom) and see how that does.

We also changed the oil and filter - I had gone about 12K miles on the oil already and yet the service indicator said I had close to 5K more to go before changing it! I still have to reset the indicator, but I'll mess with that today sometime.

It was a nice day for working on Mini/MINIs, the weather couldn't have been nicer, and it's always fun to get to spend time with other club members wrenching and swapping "war stories", I look forward to more of the same next weekend as we get ready for our first HPT of 2008!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

MiniDave, did you ever write for sports announcers or something related? Great play by play. Besides that the short time i was there was nice and it always nice to meet people in the club i haven't met. We need to schedule a time for next weekend on when to get my sway bar in and do the sort of checks i planned for this weekend but didn't get to due to work. If anyone else that missed the first round of sway bar installs, mine is going to be a bit different because i got the Ireland Sway bar kit which is fully adjustable and doesn't have preset holes to put the end links. I think We might want to do some testing to find its sweet spot when and if we install it this weekend.