July 19th Star Gazing invite from HAZCC

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

July 19th Star Gazing invite from HAZCC

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

The Z club has once again extend an invite for us to join in their fun! Here are the details from Dan:

This is short notice.

The July Zocial will be held next Saturday, July 19 at one of our favorite places-Tanner's at 143rd & Metcalf.

This month, we're putting a different twist on things. From the Zocial we'll be headed to the Powell Observatory in Louisburg, KS. and do some star gazing!! That sounds like a great Saturday night to me. Thanks to Tony for setting this up.

The usual asterisks apply and a few new ones:

*Starting time is 5:00ish..or whenever you get there!
*Ending time, if you're going to the observatory, will be shortly after 7:30. If you're not going star gazing, the ending time is up to you.
*Drinking is not a requirement. We don't ever want people to feel they can't come if they don't drink!
*Driving your Z is NOT a requirement! In fact, I encourage you to bring your family and kids for this great experience at the observatory. Feel free to drive your minivan. I can almost promise no one will point at you and laugh.
*This event is open to all current, past, and future members as well as folks just passing through.
*You are responsible for your own tab at Tanner's and your admission to Powell.
*Admission (donation) to Powell is $5 per adult and $3 per child. If you're an adult and prone to acting childish, your admission is still $5.

Here is a map how to get to the Powell Observatory.
map
I encourage you to print out the map and bring it with you.

Here is more info on Powell Observatory.
Powell Observatory

Z ya' next Saturday!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Sorry, I have a company pool party at my boss' boss house that night. Fortunately, he lives on The National Golf Course so it should be a good time.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Thanks for posting Johnna.
Here is the link for more info on Powell and the map to get there.
Powell Observatory
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

I'm glad to read it sounds like some of you will be joining us. It looks like the weather will co-operate.
We'll be gathering in the back room of the Tanner's at 143rd & Metcalf (S.E. corner) around 5 p.m. and leaving from there about 7:30.
On the link provide in my post above is a map to Powell Observatory. You may want to consider printing that out and bringing it with you.
I've met some of you at the Imagine Auto Car Show and the SCCA Rally. looking forward to meeting more.
Dan McConnell
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Thanks to the Z club for the invite. Jess and I had a great time even if we didn't get a chance to look through the large telescope!
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Thanks for making it! I didn't get to look through the large telescope either. There was always a long line.
For the folks who have never been there (this was the first time for me) this was one of the nicest surprises I've had. There is the large telescope (the one with the line but there is also a smaller scope out side which you could clearly see Jupiter with it's moons.
Also, members of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City were there with their personal telescopes and were very generous letting the attendees star gaze with them. I was able to see Saturn with it's rings. Very impressive.
Admission is only $5. I'll definitely be going back on a less cloudy night.
Dan McConnell
saturn

Post by saturn »

mcconned wrote: I was able to see Saturn with it's rings. Very impressive.
MAN!!!! I'm so sorry I missed it! Will definitely have to go next time!
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

No need to wait. It's open to the public every Saturday night into October. There is a presentation given at 8:30 p.m. then the star gazing begins.
Here's the link again. Powell Observatory
Requested donation of $5 and it's worth every penny of it in my humble opinion.
Dan McConnell