Brakes sometime?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Brakes sometime?

Post by MiniGeoff »

I need some assistance installing my new brake pads. I've got the pads and some nice blue brake fluid, but I just have no idea what I'm doing or anywhere good to do it?

Any chance we can plan a wrench day to get them (and anything else people need) taken care of?
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'd be happy to volunteer, but I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Colorado, when I get back tho..............
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Dave's the man when it comes to brake work. Let me know when and maybe I can help---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

We can have another Garage day at my place but I'll be gone at MTTS the two weekends after this weekend. So is anyone interested in getting together at casa de Pearson on Aug. 9th?

Let me know and we can start setting it up. Geoff, you may need brakes sooner so that's cool too but I know of a few others who are looking for the same kind of knowledge so I thought how about a "seminar", so to speak, on brakes and wheels/tires etc. I know a few folks might be interested in simple stuff like how to jack up your MINI and rotate tires or have other questions that a few us might be able to shed some light on.

Just a thought.

Todd
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I'm in--- sounds like a fun day
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I am getting ready to put on some EBC pads on the R56. I guess I will do it by myself :(

With lots of this - :chugchug:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Well, I'd *like* to do them prior to Aug 9, but I'm not sure if there will be a chance, honestly. Obviously this weekend is out. on 7/25 I take it to Baron to figure out why the A/C quit working the last time I took it to them (2nd trip - mushrooming repair) after I took it to them a month ago and they said there wasn't anything wrong with it (first trip - new powersteering everything) except a blown fuse (and it DID start working after that). I'm guessing that they won't have it that long, but I may or may not have it back that weekend. I don't *think* I have anything on 9/2-3, if anyone is open that weekend.

And I'm still lost, since all of my plans fell through to go, is MITM on the weekend of 9/2-3 or 9/9-10? I still have my vacation planed for the 9th and 10th, so I can do it that weekend if we can't get a wrench day before then.

And just a question about the brakes. They are not making anything other then a normal braking sound, and a slight squeel when starting moving from a dead stop the first couple of stops on a trip. I also don't have any lights from the sensors on. After talking to some folks, a lot of them here, the squeel is probably more needing calipers cleaned up some then anything to do with the pads or rotors. If that's the case, then I wouldn't think it would be a problem to wait on them a couple more weeks. They were just on the list of things that Baron said needed done when they gave my car the once over on trip #1, but the quote they used was that they were going to need replaced soon, but that they had some wear left on them.

And while I'm thinking of stuff that my car needs, anyone know where to get an oil dipstick that can actually be read? I HATE the MINI one with the burning passion of a 1000 suns. Ok, that was a bit dramatic, but I don't like it and can't read it, and Baron said I had a leak that needed fixed but doesn't ever drip on the group, so I want to keep an eye on my oil to see just how bad it is.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

MITM is 8/6--8/10 not Sept. Boy are you ever lost. If the light on dash hasn't come on, you've still time to get your pads on. Are you going to replace the rotors?

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Crud. I was talking about August, for some reason I was just convinced it was the 9th month.

That's kind of what I figured about the dash light too. Providing that my sensors work, of course.
06 Subaru WRX
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

The good news is that brakes are relatively easy to do. I am no mechanic and I just put on EBC green stuff pads. It literally took me longer to get the car up off the ground than it did to change out the pads.

Are you coming out to MITM?? I know there is a group of folks from KC enroute.

Good luck with your repairs.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I wish I was. I originally had it planned and then about 10 things conspired to keep me from coming, the most worst of which was that I was trying to get a new job that I'd have had to start that week so I couldn't have time off, and then I didn't get the @#$% thing anyway.
06 Subaru WRX
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

did you get your brakes installed yet? if not, are we doing a G/Day

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I haven't, so I guess we need to schedule a day before to long, for sure.
06 Subaru WRX
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

wonder if sundance's offer is still open for Aug 9th

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Davester wrote:wonder if sundance's offer is still open for Aug 9th
That sounds like a plan to me. I have my pads and fluid, and I strongly suspect that Baron won't be done with my car by the weekend anyway and I'll be in a loaner this weekend.

If that is the case, I'm also planning an oil change, and I'll offer up my magic siphon pump. Heck, even if I DO get it done before the 9th (and I need to) I'll offer the pump up to anyone who wants to use/see/play with it.
06 Subaru WRX
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Oops!

I can't on Aug 9th, found out that I have to be out of town that weekend. Still *very* intereted in getting them done soon, however. Provided that I ever get it back from Baron.... /sigh
06 Subaru WRX
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

So since the idea was pretty much to get Geoff's brakes changed and he can't make it on the 9th how about one of the next two Saturdays - 8/16 or 8/23.

Chime in you all's preference.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

The 16th I'll be busy but I think by the 23rd I'll have the Mini running and her new(ish) wheels put on :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

One vote for the 16th please, soccer season starts on the 23rd so I doubt if i could make it. Todd maybe we could get the graphics on Alicia's car that day? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Depends a lot on when it starts, but I'd prefer the 16th as well. My wife has a baby shower of some sort at 1, which would put me in charge of all of the kids during that time. I'm going to talk to her about it, and see what we can work out. If I can't get around it, then I'm 100% free on the 23rd, I just don't want to wait that long.
06 Subaru WRX
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

i'm good with the 16th

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Ok, hold the phones. I now have to be out of town until late afternoon on the 16th. Sorry folks.

Does the 23rd still work for anyone? If not, I'm punting and offering up other suggestions/locations.

Todd
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Well, the 23rd will work for me.
06 Subaru WRX
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

On or Off for the 23rd?? :)
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

What do you say we get together over at my place at 10 AM this Saturday the 23rd. We can work 'til 1-ish and then take a drive somewhere for lunch.

BTW - I've got the garage and jacks covered hopefully someone coming knows how to work on brakes for Geoff's sake. :wink:

PM me if you don't know where my place is.

Todd