maintenance on classic minis

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MiniVespa

maintenance on classic minis

Post by MiniVespa »

Well, I just got my classic mini, and I'm curious as to standard maintenance that you folks that own one recommend. Things that normal cars see like oil changes, filters, etc. Do you typical do your own oil changes? Do you take it somewhere, and if so, where? What kind of oil is best? Would just like to keep it in running the way it is.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Do your oil change every 3,000 miles. I use 20W50 oil in my Mini. If you need a alignment on your Mini or something serious like that, KC Autosport in Merriam is the only place in KC that will do it. Dave (MiniDave on the site) helps me out alot with maintenance with Mini. I recommend getting a repair manual like the Haynes Manual or the Bentley manual for the Mini. It helps me alot. And remember the Mini's are old and something IS going to break just make sure you take care of the Mini. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:Do your oil change every 3,000 miles. I use 20W50 oil in my Mini. If you need a alignment on your Mini or something serious like that, KC Autosport in Merriam is the only place in KC that will do it. Dave (MiniDave on the site) helps me out alot with maintenance with Mini. I recommend getting a repair manual like the Haynes Manual or the Bentley manual for the Mini. It helps me alot. And remember the Mini's are old and something IS going to break just make sure you take care of the Mini. :)
Thanks. Im familiar with the Hayne's manuals, as I've got one for all my Vespas. My maintenance records for the car show an alignment done about a year and half ago, so lets hope I'm not doing that anytime soon. Can you get a standard US Haynes manual on Amazon, or do I need to look on the UK version and have it shipped stateside?
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

This is what you want. I also order all of my stuff from GB car parts.

http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.as ... nualHaynes
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I also order all my stuff from GB Car Parts. I love that store. They've got quick shipping and let you know if things go out of stock and it's cheaper than Mini Mania. If you can't find something you could always get it shipped from england....(I'm getting a part from there now. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

I need to know more about the classic Mini's.
Weren't these just made in the 60's?

Is there a site where I can read about it's history or show me pics of the model years?
What to expect to pay or how to estimate the worth of a model for sale?
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

kraydl wrote:I need to know more about the classic Mini's.

Is there a site where I can read about it's history or show me pics of the model years?
This nice fellow name Michael in California runs http://miniguy.com/ . It has alot of classics for sale, some more "interesting" than others and the whole story behind them, when they started making them, the various models etc. I had been looking for awhile, and some of the minis on that site are terribly expensive. They started making them in 1959, and made them all over the world in various factories until the new mini's came out. Take a look at ebayUK and you will see mid-late 90's minis that look nearly identical to ones from the 60s and 70s.

Worth of the car? Thats in the eye of the beholder. When I decided I wanted one and found a local mini I went to the bank and applied for a loan. Loan was approved and they ask for more information on the car. I give them the VIN number, they run it in NADA's system to verify its worth, yada yada, normal car loan B.S. "What kind of car is this again?" the loan officer asks me. A UK VIN (or chassis number as its called in the UK) doesnt register in our US system as even existing, therefore without a legitimate appraisal, theres no way to verify its actual worth, and the bank certainly wont help you there. Want a classic mini that is in great shape? Start saving! :shock:
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

The Mini's were made in this body style (excpet for a couple changes...) from August 26, 1959 till October 4, 2000. The big changes you can see in the body styles from 1959 and the newer classics are that the older ones have external door hinges and the rear windscreen is the same width as the boot (the newer ones like mine have a wider rear windscreen). Also, the boot has a hinged number plate holder that when you have the boot lid down you can fold the number plate down and you can still see the plate with the boot lid down (the changed it in the later models because they figured out that the exhaust can come back through the car).
To find more out about a Mini you can buy books or just look up stuff on the internet. That's where I found out most of my knowledge of the Mini. If you'd like to learn more about the history I could tell you more. :)

For a good classic Mini expect to pay from $8,000 up to over $20,000 with the good ones between the $10,000 and $12,000 range. If you want a Mini pickup or wagon they'll cost a bit more. If you do want to get one I'd reccomend getting one with a 998cc or 1275cc engine in them. The 850cc is tiny and doesn't get you around very fast. I've taken my 998cc engined Mini around town and down the highway no problem. Just remember though, even if you think you're getting a really nice Mini something will break on it because they are an old car (and British).

If you've got anymore questions I can help you answer them or I think someone else here on the site can help to (Seth, Dave, John...) :)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:

The Mini's were made in this body style (excpet for a couple changes...) from August 26, 1959 till October 4, 2000. The big changes you can see in the body styles from 1959 and the newer classics are that the older ones have external door hinges and the rear windscreen is the same width as the boot (the newer ones like mine have a wider rear windscreen). Also, the boot has a hinged number plate holder that when you have the boot lid down you can fold the number plate down and you can still see the plate with the boot lid down (the changed it in the later models because they figured out that the exhaust can come back through the car).
To find more out about a Mini you can buy books or just look up stuff on the internet. That's where I found out most of my knowledge of the Mini. If you'd like to learn more about the history I could tell you more. :)

For a good classic Mini expect to pay from $8,000 up to over $20,000 with the good ones between the $10,000 and $12,000 range. If you want a Mini pickup or wagon they'll cost a bit more. If you do want to get one I'd reccomend getting one with a 998cc or 1275cc engine in them. The 850cc is tiny and doesn't get you around very fast. I've taken my 998cc engined Mini around town and down the highway no problem. Just remember though, even if you think you're getting a really nice Mini something will break on it because they are an old car (and British).

If you've got anymore questions I can help you answer them or I think someone else here on the site can help to (Seth, Dave, John...) :)
Very good indeed. However, do you know why the Mini was created? What global event led to this??? You get 10 extra credit points if you know. You are not allowed to cheat by using the internet :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

MiniManiac wrote:Very good indeed. However, do you know why the Mini was created? What global event led to this??? You get 10 extra credit points if you know. You are not allowed to cheat by using the internet :)
Wasnt there some sort of gas crisis in Europe? I'm nearly done with my BA in History, so I hope I'm finally going to get back some of that money I've paid out. If I am dead wrong, well, then I'm going back for a refund in the morning.
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:If you need a alignment on your Mini or something serious like that, KC Autosport in Merriam is the only place in KC that will do it.
Where is KC Autosports in Merriam and who would I want to talk to if I brought in my classic mini? I did just drive it several hundred miles in the heat, so I know its up to par, but with an "investment" like my car, I wouldn't mind taking it in, having it looked over and getting a competent mechanics blessing. Good idea?
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniManiac wrote:
Very good indeed. However, do you know why the Mini was created? What global event led to this??? You get 10 extra credit points if you know. You are not allowed to cheat by using the internet :)
The Mini was created as a fuel efficiant car that was small but could hold alot of people and things. The reason why the car has small tires and the wheels pushed out to the corners of the car is to maximize the passenger space inside the car. That is also the reason why the engine is mounted transversly to save roof and to keep the size of the car down. The battery of the car was placed in the boot though because there was no room in the engine bay for it.
I don't know what global event it led to though. :( -5 points.
MiniVespa wrote:
Where is KC Autosports in Merriam and who would I want to talk to if I brought in my classic mini? I did just drive it several hundred miles in the heat, so I know its up to par, but with an "investment" like my car, I wouldn't mind taking it in, having it looked over and getting a competent mechanics blessing. Good idea?
You could take it to them or get with someone in the club like myself or Dave and we can look over it for you but if you just drove it a couple hundred miles it doesn't sound like there is nothing to wrong with the car right now to take it into a shop to get it looked at. I don't know where KC autosport is at so I'll have to look it up for you but I'll let you know because I have to take my Mini over there to get an alignment done because my wheels are pointing in all different directions.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
monza

Post by monza »

MiniVespa wrote: Hi! I'm Ryan.

1989 Rover Mini 1000 (30th Anniversary Model)
2002 Genuine Stella
1963 Vespa Allstate
Watch out, Ryan is going to buy up all the vintage Minis in town :wink:
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

monza wrote:
MiniVespa wrote: Hi! I'm Ryan.

1989 Rover Mini 1000 (30th Anniversary Model)
2002 Genuine Stella
1963 Vespa Allstate
Watch out, Ryan is going to buy up all the vintage Minis in town :wink:

HAHA! A MadToTo is here! Good to see you around Monza. Unfortunately my Mini was much more expensive than any vintage Vespa. Not to mention I can only cram so much crap into my garage.

Wait a second... Dont you have TWO minis and a few bikes?
monza

Post by monza »

MiniVespa wrote: Wait a second... Dont you have TWO minis and a few bikes?
yeah, I actually have three Minis and a MINI. I try to limit how much I list because I have so much stuff and my signature would be rediculous:

73 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300
66 Morris Minor Mini 1000
62 Austin Mini 850
75 Vespa Primavera
79 Vespa P200E
03 Piaggio BV200
03 Malaguti
06 Bajaj Chetak
05 Triumph Thruxton 900
01 Saab 9-5 Aero
06 Saturn Vue
79 Monza 327

oh yeah, 03 MCS :wink:

Although two of the Minis (73 & 66) will be up for sale soon, along with the Malaguti, Monza, and Saab. Just too dang much hanging around!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniVespa wrote: Wasnt there some sort of gas crisis in Europe? I'm nearly done with my BA in History, so I hope I'm finally going to get back some of that money I've paid out. If I am dead wrong, well, then I'm going back for a refund in the morning.
There was a gas crisis, but the question is what caused it. There is a place called the Suez Canal that was once controlled by the Brits. Well, the government kicked out the Brits, so they decided along with the French to invade. The invasion went well, but the public outrcy was terrible.

Due to Middle Eastern ties, most oil exports to Britain were cut-off (doesn't this sound familiar?). This resulted in exuberant gas prices. There was a slew of tiny cars produced but the Mini was the best one.

There you go!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

monza wrote:
MiniVespa wrote: Wait a second... Dont you have TWO minis and a few bikes?
yeah, I actually have three Minis and a MINI. I try to limit how much I list because I have so much stuff and my signature would be rediculous:

73 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300
62 Austin Mini 850
75 Vespa Primavera
79 Vespa P200E
03 Piaggio BV200
03 Malaguti
06 Bajaj Chetak
05 Triumph Thruxton 900
01 Saab 9-5 Aero
06 Saturn Vue
79 Monza 327

oh yeah, 03 MCS :wink:

Although two of the Minis (73 & 66) will be up for sale soon, along with the Malaguti, Monza, and Saab. Just too dang much hanging around!
Cool list! How much are you going to sell the 73 for?
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
monza

Post by monza »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:
Cool list! How much are you going to sell the 73 for?
not 100% sure yet. I guarrantee this will be the first place I post it though (always prefer to sell to enthusiasts and locals over others)...need to clean it up good and take some pix :wink:
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Hey Seth-

Wasn't the Suez Canal situation also responsible for the whole "bubble car" genre such as BMW Isettas, Messerschmidts, etc.? I think I recall reading where Sir Issigonis (sp?) hated those damned bubble cars.

Someday, I want to visit the microcar museum in Georgia. See www.microcarmuseum.com.

Monza-

You should have an open house for all your toys. I'd love to come by and gawk at each.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

dimini wrote:
Someday, I want to visit the microcar museum in Georgia. See www.microcarmuseum.com.
Some of the Sunshine MINIs visited this museum on the way to the Dragon this Spring and gave it a HUGE recommendation. I'd love to visit this place!

I'm not sure what the connection is, but some folks call it the Dubble Bubble bubble car museum.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

dimini wrote:Hey Seth-

Wasn't the Suez Canal situation also responsible for the whole "bubble car" genre such as BMW Isettas, Messerschmidts, etc.? I think I recall reading where Sir Issigonis (sp?) hated those damned bubble cars.

Monza-

You should have an open house for all your toys. I'd love to come by and gawk at each.
Yes. The micro car craze was due to the Suez oil crisis.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

monza wrote:73 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300
Although two of the Minis (73 & 66)
Yeah, I am curious what you are wanting for these too. I sent you a PM over at the MadToTo forum, and you responded saying you had a few things to do to them before hand. Do you have a price before the work and after the work in mind? Pictures?
Last edited by MiniVespa on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

BB lives!! My dad got the new hose to work right :D he broke my dash though pulling it out to get to the gauge :cry: my boyfriend is going to make me a new one.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:BB lives!! My dad got the new hose to work right :D he broke my dash though pulling it out to get to the gauge :cry: my boyfriend is going to make me a new one.
sweettttt. its about time. what kind of dash is it? the type with the single speedo in the middle? theres a full dash like that on ebay right now. granted, they want $250 or something for it, but its brand new. or you could just make one.

here is also a DIY guide to a dashboard. not sure if yours has vents in it like mine, but it might be a good place to start.

http://www.miniprojects.co.uk/mini_DIY_ ... hboard.htm

so when are we gonna see BB in action?
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I might be able to take her out for a drive soon. Not all the way up to Gladstone yet. Next saturday there is a car show in Belton that she is going to be at. :) You can come down if you want, it would be great to have two classic Mini's at the show. She steals the show.

My Mini has the center speedometer cluster dash.

I drove BB around tonight and the engine burned off some oil that was on the engine which kinda freaked me out because i thought something else was broke. But she's ok. I'm having trouble shutting the hood though. :(
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000