My lengthy Baron experience

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

My lengthy Baron experience

Post by MiniGeoff »

Alright, I've been kind of quiet about my last couple of months of MINI ownership, but since I scheduled my 4th trip to Baron today for repairs in about 8 weeks, I've got to vent a little bit.

So, here we go:

Trip #1
I'd been considering a trip to Baron for some time because my A/C was being iffy and inconsistent, so when my radiator fan quit working I took it in to have them check that, the A/C, and why my wheel mounted stereo controls are inconsistent.

It turns out that my power steering pump coolant fan had died, and taken a fuse or fuses with it, and that was the reported issue with the A/C. The stereo is aftermarket, so they couldn't or wouldn't look at it. I fix the power steering pump, the fan, and inlet and outlet hoses. After 2 days longer then the estimated time to repair, it was finished. The estimate that I was given was $750, but my bill was $960. I asked, politely, what the difference was. Turns out that a couple of parts got left off the estimate. To Baron's credit, they knocked those off my bill, THEN applied my 10% mini club discount, and I left with a fixed power steering pump in my car and $675 out of my wallet. But I could steer, my radiator fan worked, and my A/C was blowing cold for the moment.

During this same trip, Baron worked hard to find as much as they could to get me to fix, and the initial estimate for just parts was $5000. They reported a mushrooming issue on the passenger side, that the brakes needed work, and that a gasket on an oil drain plug somewhere was bad. I told them that I didn't see any oil leaks, and I'd pay attention to the oil, I'd fix the brakes myself, and I'd talk to my insurance about the mushrooming.

Trip 2:
After getting everything set up with my insurance to cover the mushrooming issue, I took my car back to have it corrected. My deductible on it was $500, and the total bill was $2900. I got it back on July 3rd, and the weather was perfect. The alignment was good, the slight shake I had in my steering wheel that I thought was a bad hubcentric ring was gone, and my ride was somewhat improved. I ordered a m7 strut bar/brace to prevent it from happening again, and called it good. I was happy, and thought everything was settled. But no...

On July 6th, when it finally returned to normal season weather, I decided to put up the windows and turn on the A/C. Nothing. Notta. Just blowing hot air. I messed with it for 10 or 15 min, with no change. Yup, my A/C that was reported to have been fixed after trip one was certainly dead the first time I went to use it after trip 2. That leads to...

Trip 3:
Took it in today to have the A/C checked, as this was the first day I was able to get a loaner car, and after suffering for 3 days on trip one w/o one, I decided that I could stand a bit of hot to get a car so that my wife could have one at home too. Around 10am I get a call from Baron, my compressor is dead, and to replace it will cost me $1400. I tell them that I think that is a bit excessive, but I'll think it over and call them back. I then proceed to make some calls to find out that I can get it done, pretty easily, for about half that elsewhere, so I call them back to tell them not to do the repairs. When I am talking to them, they inform me that they didn't complete all the repairs from the mushrooming in trip 2, and that I need to contact my insurance adjuster and set up a supplemental claim to add to my original one. I ask if I get an adjuster in today if they can get it fixed, and I am told no and that the parts aren't on hand. I call my adjuster, get an appointment made for next Thursday, and get that all set up.

So I got to pick up my hot car on this hot day, and I get there and they tell me that they are please to charge me $182 for the diagnostic to tell me my a/c is busted, even though I told them that AND I'd reported it was wrong in trip 1 AND it was working fine when I had it before the mushroom repair but wasn't after it. Never mind the fact that I had to re-open my insurance claim because they didn't do all the work the first time or have to bring it back in for a 4th trip.

By this time I was so upset, I forgot to ask about my discount, I just got my keys and left. I'll make trip 4 to Baron, just because I don't have to pay anything, or at least shouldn't, to get it fixed. After that, I'm done with Baron. I can deal with that I have a car that is expensive to repair (thought I'm considering selling it to get a Honda that I don't have to fix because it won't break), but 4 trips to get everything done is excessive, and I really think that when I reported that my A/C was bad on trip 1 that I shouldn't have to pay $182 to figure that out on trip 3. For that matter, I don't think there should have BEEN a trip 3. And don't get me started on having to make trip 4.

I am officially sorry I ever took my car there for service, since I'd had good luck at reasonable prices at KC Autosport previously. I won't make that mistake again. For that matter, I don't think I'd even buy a car from Baron at this point. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
saturn

Post by saturn »

Who were you dealing with at Baron?
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Gosh, my MINI will be delivered in September. Certainly looking forward to the excellent service!
If there is a structual problem with a car I don't see why the factory does not pay to repair it? Should be their problem not ours.
Good luck.........
Mr. F56
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

To answer questions:

Mostly I've dealt with Russ Lopez. I don't honestly blame him, specifically, and he's been as accommodating and friendly. I blame Baron's service dept, in general, and the manner in which they do business.

My MCS is an 03, I'm the 2nd owner, and it's well out of warranty. If you're having a new MINI delivered in September, then you won't have any of those problems. The mushrooming issue is not supposed to be a problem anymore (and there are people who don't think it's a problem now).
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

DA MINI-

MiniGeoff has a R53 model and you will have a R56 model if it is a Cooper S. There have been several changes to the R56 model from the R53 that addressed some of the unique challenges facing the R53. The R56 is not perfect and to be honest Saturn and I have really worked to keep our ears pealed, but to date the only things I have heard or been made aware of are:

1) Criolyne(?) - a resin in the hood for rust prevention gets on the wheel arches and paint, may discolor but the dealer will make it right if happens. Happened to me and they are replacing my wheel arches.
2) Hood sccop - warps a little from turbo, needs heat shield under it(aftermarket), get that on asap if you get one. Saturn knowns about that more and can get the info to you.
3) Water pump - Saturn may have a water pump going bad, shouldn't be happening but it is under warranty. I think it is a defective part but only a dianogstic will tell.
4) Steering wire harness - Supposedly a friend of mine who is a mechanic says that he tried to help someone with a MINI, unknown year or model #, that had problems with the wiring harness for steering.

I don't doubt my friend but a lot of times there is more to the story thatn what is being disclosed. Not a fault of anyone it is just that dealers don't always disclaose all of the information and they do make mistakes.

At the moment that seems to be the current list, the R56 is the latest version of the MINI Cooper S and according to Consumer Reports it is ALMOST perfect according to their rating scale. All of that being said there will be problems with cars, ALL cars, no matter what or how much they cost.

I have said this often no dealer is perfect but I have had excellent service from Baron and it has exceeded my expectations to date. I have bought a lot of cars from different dealers in this city and 100% of the other dealers I have worked with have been worse. You will need to make your own choice based on your experience. A lot of MINI owners have had good experiences, but I am sure that Baron has messed up at times, we all do.

Just my opinion, sorry for it being so long MiniGeoff... :)
monza

Post by monza »

I am of the opinion that the mushrooming is a design/manufacturing defect of the 1st gen cars. The whole body is super stiff on them, but there is no reason there should be a weakness in the strut tower with the finite structural analysis that they run these days. They can simulate 200,000 miles of hard driving without even building a real car....Im sure they realize that profits on all those cars are wiped out if they had to fix them, so they ignore the problem....like Toyota does with its sludging problems on Camrys...