Classic Mini TO DO list

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MiniVespa

Classic Mini TO DO list

Post by MiniVespa »

OK, so theres some stuff I want to do to my Mini. However, this cost money. I had a garage full of scooters, sold a few to pay for my Mini and now that I have it, I want to pump more money into it and make it even sweeter. I am selling yet another scooter to pay for this sweetness. Those of you here that are classic Mini savy, I'd like your help in deciding what all I should do/get for my Mini. I have about $3K to spend if I went buck wild and spent every dime I will get out of this scooter. And just a side note, if anyone is interested in a scooter, let me know, haha.

Heres the stuff I want to get as of right now:
-Front fog lights
-Bonnet strips
-Left side mirror (mine is gone)
-13x7 wheels and tires
-new dash, which takes up the whole front of the dash area, and not just right in front of the steering wheel. I currently have a 3 gauge set up, and would like to get a 6 or 7
-Some necessary gauges to fill up the dash. I currently have a speedo, tac, temp/fuel and a small oil pressure gauge that is just hanging out on the dash

Ok, so I covered the cosmetics. What about performance? What would be some good items to get to possibly increase horsepower and/or handling. My Mini is essentially stock as of now. Any help would be great. I do know that I would get:

-A high temp radiator. Its damn hot in Missouri and Kansas, and my car runs on the hot side. After driving around for 10 minutes or so, she warms up and I need to run the defrost on so she doesnt overheat. You can imagine this is hardly fun when its 100 degrees outside, and I'm blasting the heat in my car, haha.
-Is there some kind of brake upgrade I can do? My brakes are fine, but if there is a brake upgrade, I would be interested in looking into that. I can imagine disc brakes are terribly expensive, so other alternatives work too.

BTW, if I need to provide pictures of what I currently have, I can put some up.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Which Mini Classic do you have?

What engine, brakes are on it now?

Maybe some pics would help?

A twin carb setup will add perfomance, along with a LCB header, for not a huge amount of $$.....

If you're sure the radiator is clean, do you have the extra bladed "tropical" fan blade and the proper radiator cap? You might not need a new radiator, mine ran just fine here in KC. (I had a '62 Cooper S with the 1100 engine and twin carbs)
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Minidave wrote:Which Mini Classic do you have?
I've got a 1989 Rover Mini 30
Minidave wrote:What engine, brakes are on it now?
998cc, front disc brakes, rear drum brakes
Minidave wrote:Maybe some pics would help?
No problem. I can run out to garage and take one of whatever. If you are just looking for pictures of the car, I can put those up right now.
Minidave wrote:A twin carb setup will add perfomance, along with a LCB header, for not a huge amount of $$.....
Any specific ones you would recommend? I've cruised through sites like minimania and gbparts and see a ton of this stuff, and its all new to me :)
Minidave wrote:If you're sure the radiator is clean, do you have the extra bladed "tropical" fan blade and the proper radiator cap? You might not need a new radiator, mine ran just fine here in KC. (I had a '62 Cooper S with the 1100 engine and twin carbs)
I am unsure about the radiator, honestly. The car runs warm and to a novice garage mechanic, the radiator would seem to be a fix. I realize the radiator is mounted on the side of the car, so without good airflow, its going to run hot, more than likely. It does have a yellow fan blade. Is there a special one that has an extra blade? Mine looks pretty standard and is probably stock. I've seen electric fan kits also, which are a little more spendy, but I dont like the idea of my car overheating.

Thanks for the help Dave. I've asked some of the members about who is a competent classic Mini mechanic, and you come highly recommended for both work and advice ;)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

My Mini has a 998cc engine with the side mounted radiator and now that I've fixed the water leak (loose bypass hose) she doesn't go over normal. Check to make sure the water in your radiator isn't brownish looking. If it is you'll probably have to flush your system. And don't put just water in your radiator. Make sure it's a 50/50 mix. (BTW, I have the original radiator and regular plastic fan in my Mini too)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks...........

At a minimum you should have this 6 blade metal fan, if you already do then do as CM suggests and check your coolant.

They also make an 11 blade plastic fan that's actually a lot quieter, but it doesn't move quite as much air as the 6....

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:My Mini has a 998cc engine with the side mounted radiator and now that I've fixed the water leak (loose bypass hose) she doesn't go over normal. Check to make sure the water in your radiator isn't brownish looking. If it is you'll probably have to flush your system. And don't put just water in your radiator. Make sure it's a 50/50 mix. (BTW, I have the original radiator and regular plastic fan in my Mini too)
so did you get your Mini up and running again? ill check the insides of that radiator out.

and yes, i have the standard 6 bladed fan.
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Minidave wrote:Maybe some pics would help?
Heres a few showing the outside of the car and the dash. The wheels arent in bad shape at all, the tires are great, and I would probably hold onto them even if I got some bigger ones.

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ryan, that's a really nice MINI, I would love to own one like that!

I don't know what additional gauges you want, but I like the simplicity of the dash with the three gauge cluster. My cooper only had the round center speedo so I put a piece of aluminiumiumium across the whole thing and installed oil press, water and ammeter and a nice big tachometer in mine.

Here's a very old pic that barely shows the dash.........

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

MiniVespa-

Ordinarily I'm pretty down on 13x7's because they change the handling of the car significantly (not for the better, in my opinion). However, you have those sizeable group 4 arches to fill, which would look great with wider rims/rubber.

I can't remember if you have boosted brakes. If not, one consideration might be remove the group 4 arches and step down to 10x6 wheels with 165 AO32 Yokos (super sticky, & fun). There are lots of great group 2 arches that look awesome with 10x6 wheels, and the handling would be fabulous.

If you have boosted brakes,you most likely have 8.4" front discs, too, which are too big for 10" wheels. A good front brake conversion to fit 10" wheels is probably too expensive, though.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Minidave wrote:Ryan, that's a really nice MINI, I would love to own one like that!

I don't know what additional gauges you want, but I like the simplicity of the dash with the three gauge cluster. My cooper only had the round center speedo so I put a piece of aluminiumiumium across the whole thing and installed oil press, water and ammeter and a nice big tachometer in mine.

Here's a very old pic that barely shows the dash.........
Dave, thanks for the kind words! My Mini is truly my dream car. Obviously theres some things that need to be done to make me completely happy with it, but I certainly picked her up in great shape.

First off, your dash looks great. You made that, huh? Most of the sites I have looked at are out of stock for RHD dashes. Looks like I'm stuck either making one, or ordering from the UK, as RHD set ups will surely be in stock.

dimini wrote:MiniVespa-

Ordinarily I'm pretty down on 13x7's because they change the handling of the car significantly (not for the better, in my opinion). However, you have those sizeable group 4 arches to fill, which would look great with wider rims/rubber.

I can't remember if you have boosted brakes. If not, one consideration might be remove the group 4 arches and step down to 10x6 wheels with 165 AO32 Yokos (super sticky, & fun). There are lots of great group 2 arches that look awesome with 10x6 wheels, and the handling would be fabulous.

If you have boosted brakes,you most likely have 8.4" front discs, too, which are too big for 10" wheels. A good front brake conversion to fit 10" wheels is probably too expensive, though.
I enjoy the way my car handles right now, but definitely love the way some 13x7's look on these cars. In your opinion how does it change the handling? My current 12's look decent and the car handles like a dream and they are just about brand new, so I certainly wont get rid of them. My 998 motor isnt exactly fast, so I doubt I will be taking it to the track anytime soon, really utilizing maximum handling, but will hold onto my 12's just in case. I am unsure if I have "boosted brakes" but I know for a fact I have the 8.4" front disc brakes, so if that means I've got the boost
monza

Post by monza »

Is this car a SPI model? I dont remember when they switched from carb to SPI...but that SPIand intake are going to limit performance. If you have SPI, then the best performance increase would be with an SU conversion kit. I think MM has one.

Honestly, I think I would wait on performance stuff a while and research the best combination of stuff while sorting out existing problems you might have...like the cooling...You can blow the $3k pretty quick.

BTW, I think the super cool 2-core radiator at MM is only like $220...
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Paul, I think they started doing the SPI models in 91, but am not sure. I am new to these cars, so I couldnt tell you. To be honest, I am not trying to make my car fast, or really even track worthy. I own it for the same reason I (and you, more than likely) own scooters. I enjoy the looks, the ride and the chance to take the road less traveled. Just a shinny, classic Mini that runs well and I enjoy driving as much as a Vespa.

I have looked at that super cool 2 core radiator, and it looks nice and is reasonably priced. I am going to check out the water in the current radiator and make sure its running clean before I spend that money on it.

With all that said, I would just like some recommendations to make my car run better, smoother and eleviate any future problems. Making it look cooler and more comfortable would be nice too. :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If it's a carbureted model, you don't need to do much then........

I agree, figure out the overheating problem first, but before you spring for a new radiator do some basics first......

Drain and flush and refill with a good 50% mix, make sure all your hoses are good and not colapsed from the inside, your fan belt is tight and you're not leaking coolant anywhere, and that you have the right radiator cap and that it's working correctly. If all that checks out, then maybe spring for the radiator, but I think most unmodified Mini's do fine in the KC climate with the stock radiator.

Oh, and don't forget to check your points and timing, they can make it run hot too...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniVespa wrote:
Counterfit_Mini wrote:My Mini has a 998cc engine with the side mounted radiator and now that I've fixed the water leak (loose bypass hose) she doesn't go over normal. Check to make sure the water in your radiator isn't brownish looking. If it is you'll probably have to flush your system. And don't put just water in your radiator. Make sure it's a 50/50 mix. (BTW, I have the original radiator and regular plastic fan in my Mini too)
so did you get your Mini up and running again? ill check the insides of that radiator out.

and yes, i have the standard 6 bladed fan.
Not yet. The part I'm waiting for just got into customs on the 3rd so it might be there a while...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I would recommend 13X6 wheels. The steering is much better and the car tracks better.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I looked at Ryans Mini today and it looks really good. Very clean Mini. The reason it's overheating is because there is rust in the coolant system. Needs a good flushing out. But other than that it all looks fine to me..
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

You can always sell your wheels to MiniXB!! :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:I looked at Ryans Mini today and it looks really good. Very clean Mini. The reason it's overheating is because there is rust in the coolant system. Needs a good flushing out. But other than that it all looks fine to me..
I would have done this last night, but that damn Vespa I was working on seemed to run great, I went for a ride, and sure enough, broke down on me a mile away from my house. I got it started up eventually and was working on it the rest of the night. Thanks for coming by and checking out my Mini. Its nice to have someone that isnt car mechanic dumb (like myself) take a look at it.
MiniManiac wrote:I would recommend 13X6 wheels. The steering is much better and the car tracks better.
You would more than likely know best. I should have snagged up your wheels you were selling, just didnt have the extra cash laying around. Ill keep my eyes peeled for some 13x6s. Ill probably hold onto my 12s. They only have about 1000 miles on them and it would be nice to have an extra set laying around.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniManiac wrote:You can always sell your wheels to MiniXB!! :)
I just bought a set of wheels I just haven't got a chance to put them on yet. :D
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

good news. yesterday i popped the radiator drain, threw a hose in there and man was there alot of crap flushing out that shouldnt be there! cleaned it out, hooked the bottom hose back on (man, there isnt much room to work in that area!), filled it up 50/50 mix, ran it some to get rid of the air bubbles and my mini is now running super cool, at about 1/2 on the temp guage. I feel much better about driving it now, knowing I'm not going to overheat.

more good news. i sold one of my scooters last night, so I now have a few grand of disposable cash to throw into my Mini. time to make some serious orders!!!
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

well, my mini is running very well now. now, its time to order some stuff for it. im curious as to the best online place to order, in your alls experiences. minimania? gbcarparts? minispares?

things i know i am ordering at this point are:
-13x6 wheels and tires. whats the best brand without spending $2K on wheels and tires? id like to stay in the $1200-$1300 range, if its possible. obviously less would be great, but i want some decent ones.
-4 light grill cluster with mount
-full dash (gotta order it from the UK

those of you that know performance on these classic minis, pipe in please. ive got the standard 998cc motor, so i know my car isnt fast, but anything that might add a little bit would be nice.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I would not buy 13" wheels, I think you'll like your car a lot more on the 12's. Most people I know who have driven classics with 13's say the handling sucks and the 12's are much better. I do not have personal experience in this, but I have friends who own these classics and have said this consistantly........

Spend your money on your lights and grill, interior stuff and so on - the wheels you have now are fine - buy some newer higher performance tires if you want, but with a 998 engine, you don't really have the HP to use them.....

just my 3 cents..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

i do enjoy the handling in my car, but love the way at least wider tires look. id like to have something that will fill out the arches in my car. what do you think about wider tires at a 12 inch size?

any idea what size air filter i have? 1.25", 1.5", or 1.75"? would like to put a k&n style one on there, as i've got a stock style one.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

MiniVespa wrote:i do enjoy the handling in my car, but love the way at least wider tires look. id like to have something that will fill out the arches in my car. what do you think about wider tires at a 12 inch size?

any idea what size air filter i have? 1.25", 1.5", or 1.75"? would like to put a k&n style one on there, as i've got a stock style one.
I think the air filters are one size fits all.......

I don't know what's available in 12" tires, but you can check with Alex at Tire Rack, he's very Mini-knowledgable
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Heres an option about the wheels... the tires I have are nearly brand new, and the wheels are in great shape and are a 12 inch set up. Regardless, I am not getting rid of these, as I want to have an extra set. The 13x6 or 13x7 look great on these cars, and would fill out the arches really well. I'm leaning towards getting the 13x6 or 7s, and if I want to put the 12s back on because I'm going to be doing some twisty driving or I need that famous gocart handling, they are there to throw back on.
Minidave wrote:I think the air filters are one size fits all.......
GBcarparts.com has a few different K&N filters.