Classic Mini TO DO list

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

OK, so take your air cleaner off and measure across the opening of the carb to get the right size, or look for the info tag on the bowl that says which carb, but it will probably be the 1 1/2", my guess...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Minidave wrote:OK, so take your air cleaner off and measure across the opening of the carb to get the right size
BRILLIANT! Haha.
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Several orders have been placed!

-Silver Bonnet Strips
-Dashboard 3+3 extra holes in Charcoal Grey/Black
-Grey 13x7 Minilight Wheels with Sumitomo Tires
-Interior Chrome Handle set
-New Grill
-4 light grill cluster

Everything was bought here in the states minus the full dash (ordered from minispares in the UK), and should be here late next week. I can imagine I will end up spending most of next weekend in my garage, and it will be ready to show off my new toys at the September meet up.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniVespa wrote:Several orders have been placed!

-Silver Bonnet Strips
-New Grill
-4 light grill cluster

Everything was bought here in the states minus the full dash (ordered from minispares in the UK), and should be here late next week. I can imagine I will end up spending most of next weekend in my garage, and it will be ready to show off my new toys at the September meet up.
Wow. You are on your way to some really nice mods. Congratulations.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

MiniVespa wrote:Several orders have been placed!

-Silver Bonnet Strips
-New Grill
-4 light grill cluster

If you need some help installing stuff let me know and I'll come over and help you out. :) I'll drag my boyfriend along he can keep us entertained lol j/k
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

wow, mini spares sure is fast. i ordered my dash from them and it was shipped from england to my front door via UPS in a few days, beating GBcarpart's stuff, which should arrive on thursday.

i pulled out my dash last night and attempted to install the new dash. unfortunately the 3 gauge cluster that is in there isnt going to work with the dash, so im gonna have to buy three large gauges and three small ones.

anyone know of a brand/place i can get gauges at a fairly reasonable price. i dont really want to spend a grand on gauges, and very easily will if im ordering autometer stuff.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Dang the shipping of your dash was faster than the shipping for my oil pressure pipe (two weeks)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

well, most of my parts came in today and i got it all installed this evening. the mini looks like a whole new car, in a great way. however, i did run into one extremely frustrating problem...

i put my 13x7 wheels on and boy, do they look sweet. i wanted to take it out for a spin, and did, however, when i turn the wheel, the front edge of the wheel rubs on the wheel arches. so what now? are my arches not big enough? i pulled the arches off, as i didnt even want to back it into my garage and tear up the wheels. i cant imagine arches are too expensive, as they are just plastic or fiber glass or something. any help? thanks a ton.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniVespa wrote:well, most of my parts came in today and i got it all installed this evening. the mini looks like a whole new car, in a great way. however, i did run into one extremely frustrating problem...

i put my 13x7 wheels on and boy, do they look sweet. i wanted to take it out for a spin, and did, however, when i turn the wheel, the front edge of the wheel rubs on the wheel arches. so what now? are my arches not big enough? i pulled the arches off, as i didnt even want to back it into my garage and tear up the wheels. i cant imagine arches are too expensive, as they are just plastic or fiber glass or something. any help? thanks a ton.
The arches are made out of a rubber compound. You can find clone ones for about 120 a set. It will cost some $$ to have them painted. 13X6 probably wouldn't rub, but the offset of the 7s is causing this. Is it rubbing on the wheel arch or the body? You can always cut more of the body to prevent rubbing.

Here is what I had to do to stop my 7s from rubbing - #1 - install hi-los. This allowed me to raise the car to get more clearance. #2 - Install stoppers on the steering rack. This prevents the wheel from turning to a point of rubbing.

If you need anymore more help shoot me a PM with your # and I can call you. Good luck.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This is why I suggested you stick with the 12's...........

If you're determined to run the 13's, I think what Seth suggested on the hi/lo's is the way to go.....but they are a bit of work to put in.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

MiniManiac wrote:The arches are made out of a rubber compound. You can find clone ones for about 120 a set. It will cost some $$ to have them painted. 13X6 probably wouldn't rub, but the offset of the 7s is causing this. Is it rubbing on the wheel arch or the body? You can always cut more of the body to prevent rubbing.

Here is what I had to do to stop my 7s from rubbing - #1 - install hi-los. This allowed me to raise the car to get more clearance. #2 - Install stoppers on the steering rack. This prevents the wheel from turning to a point of rubbing.

If you need anymore more help shoot me a PM with your # and I can call you. Good luck.
Seth, first off, thanks for the help. You can imagine my frustration after I got everything bolted on and I was ready to get out and drive my car! I found two arches that I am unsure if they will work. Its definitely the front edge of the arches that are rubbing. If they arent going to work anyway, I've thought about trying to trim them a bit and see if I can make them work. Its not a ton that is rubbbing, so its not like I would be removing a huge chunk of the arch. I have a hookup for paint jobs, so thats no problem.

The Hi-Lo's are pretty cheap. Cheaper than arches, but I do like the low profile of my car. Were these pretty easy to install? How about getting the right adjustment at all 4 corners?

Here are the two arches that GBCarParts has:

Here is the "show more pictures link" in the photo: http://www.gbcarparts.com/sportspack.htm

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I had the same frustrations when I changed to the 7 inch wheels. You wouldn't have any rubbing with the 6 inch variety. Just like me, we are past that stage.

The hi-los are a bit of a pain to put on. On the front end, you need a special spring compression tool. The rear end is a bit easier. I didn't install my hi-los. My friend did it for me when I was in Iraq. I couldn't drive my Mini with the 7s so I had no choice. Getting them at the proper ride height takes some time (because you have to remove the wheels) but it is doable.

Good luck!! 8)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

im going to give gbcarparts a call and see what they suggest. if the hi-los are a huge hassle, then im gonna just suck it up and pay extra for some flares i know will fit. thanks for the help!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniVespa wrote:im going to give gbcarparts a call and see what they suggest. if the hi-los are a huge hassle, then im gonna just suck it up and pay extra for some flares i know will fit. thanks for the help!
I don't think your sport pack arches are going to be any bigger than the ones you have on now. My front wheels actually stick out farther than my sportpack arches (the exact ones you have pictured). The only way to fix your problem is with hi-los. If you look at pics of Minis with 7 inch wheels, they all sit higher. I too liked the lower look of my Mini, but it isn't possible with these wheels. :cheers:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

or get these? might just have to suck it up and pay the $300 some odd dollars for these babies.

MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Well, I snapped a few pictures of my Mini today. For those of you following this thread, youll read why the arches arent on my car. Don't mind that, check out the other stuff.

MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I don't know what to tell you about the arches. If I was there, I could come over and look at it. Damn!!

Here are some must needed supplies for your Mini:

Adjustable lower control arms - one of the best investments you can make. It allows you to make on the car camber adjustments. I have these:

Adjustable tie rods - Much stronger than stock and allows you to adjust castor. I have these:

There are also adjustable rear camber/toe brackets that I have on mine. All of this allows you to set up your Mini any way you want.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

The Mini looks great!! Lots of new shiny bits. I love the dash.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

MiniVespa-

FYI, the MiniTec flares are copies of the OE sportspack arches, minus the front bumper indentations. So, if you are still considering new arches, it looks like the sportspack versions are much less expensive.

Your dash looks great. MiniTec might have some used gauges in their donor car spare parts bins as they replace all OE dashes and gauges on their Vtec car conversions.

What do you think of the 13x7 ride characteristics?
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

don,

ive tried looking around on vtec.minimania.com and couldnt really find the arches you were talking around. are these it? it looks like the ones we were talking about that wrap around the bumper.

http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/FAM272/InvDetail.cfm

theres also these budget ones, but even in the description, they kinda sound too "budget" for me, and id rather buy something that will last.

http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/MS128/InvDetail.cfm
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

welp, i screwed up. i ordered my arches and took the current ones off to install the new ones. whenever the current ones were installed, before i bought my car, the area under the arches was cut and the new arches dont cover up all the cut out body. sooooo, looks like i should have taken the advice and ordered the 13x6's instead of the 13x7.

i got both the wheels and arches from GBCarParts, and emailed them about their exchange policy. my mini had 13x6's on it in a previous life (i have an old for sale ad) so i know the current arches will work. if GBCarParts wont exchange my wheels, i guess im stuck selling my BRAND NEW wheels. anyone had any experience with their exchange or return policy? and if im stuck selling them, anyone need or know of someone that needs some 13x7s and sportpack arches?
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

got my new 13x6's on there and the tint done. heres my car these days:

DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Ryan, Hot looking ride now! What happened with your 13X7 wheels?
Mr. F56
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

DA MINI wrote:Ryan, Hot looking ride now! What happened with your 13X7 wheels?
Thanks! Well, the 13x7's wouldnt work with the arches I had on there. The tires were rubbing a tad when turning the wheel, and I couldnt have that. Soooo, I ordered sportpack arches. The idiot that had my car before hand cut the arches out of the car for the current arches, and the sportpack arches didnt cover up all the cut. So, I had to send back the 13x7s for 13x6s. After paying for shipping two sets of wheels all over the country and back, I'm just happy to have some great looking wheels and one inch doesnt matter to me anyway. I can imagine the 13x6s will grip the road a bit better anyway.