F@#$!&g runflats

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
anima

F@#$!&g runflats

Post by anima »

Ok.

So I'm driving to St. Louis today to visit the folks, I get to about Boonville (92 miles or so from KC) and BANG! I blow the left rear tire. I must have hit something because the tires only have 9k miles on them. So I look in the book and MINI says I have anywhere from about 80-150 miles that I can drive on the run flats. So I turn around and head back home (at 50 mph I had every single driver on the highway driving up my rear end) I go about 30 miles and the tire starts to disintegrate. So I pull off at exit 62 and call MINI Motoring for a tow. They hauled me back in the final 60 or so miles to Baron. A new run flat tire is $300, nuts to that......... I was going to swap them out for some all-seasons in the fall anyway, so luckily Samer was still there and he ordered me a new set of tires from the Tire Rack- all season, non-runflats. Of course, they'll have my car again for a week until the tires get in - why do these things only happen on holiday weekends? What an ordeal. It took the tow truck an hour just to get to me on the highway.

I swear, I will never get another set of runflats ever again. you can't repair them and they cost 300 bucks a pop when they blow. Oh sure, they're convenient if you blow one here in town, but in the middle of NOWHERE Missouri, yer screwed. If I'd had real tires I could have just put some green stuff in and had the tire fixed, even better, if I'd had a spare, I could have been on my merry way and happily (if not irritatedly) arrived in St. Louis.

At any rate, it's gonna be about $700 for 4 new tires with tax and installation - about what 2 runflats cost.

Can I buy a spare for my car, does MINI make one?

Jeff
monza

Post by monza »

there is a donut you can get from MINI. I think it costs like $200. As I recall, the donut from a Civic has the same bolt pattern. Im sure you could get one from a salvage yard for a hell of a lot less than $200...
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

You might monitor this thread on NAM:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... ost2448290

Another thought would be to buy one from somebody with a JustaCooper that is looking to unload one. I've seen a few for sale in the past by folks looking to reduce weight for track/AutoX purposes.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

Unfortunately, I think we all might have to deal with this crap as it appears many brands in the auto industry are going to runflats. I feel your pain. Personally, I gamble without a spare (I ditched the RFs) and figure I'll pass the limp mode frustration and go straight to the tow agony. In 31 years, I've only had one flat--so I'm willing to play the odds. I'm glad Samer was there to help you. He's a good guy.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
anima

Post by anima »

dimini wrote: In 31 years, I've only had one flat--so I'm willing to play the odds.
That's funny, 'cause when we were buying the car they tried to sell me a wheel/tire warranty and I said to my wife, "in 25 years I've never had a blow-out" and declined the warranty. I'm eatin' those words now. :?

Jeff
pmddre

Post by pmddre »

Yep - ONE run flat replaced at Baren for over $300 plus. They said I had a screw in the tire. Since then I have replaced all 4 with non run-flats for about $400 plus, includes balance and free rotation and balancing at Shore Tire. I electected to go with non run-flat and have a fix it flat that I carry. Even if I don't use it and call a tow - has to be less than replacing run-flats.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I had a screw in my run flat and had it repaired for $16 at Shore Tire. They were one of only a couple places that would do it and their price was half that of the others. I never had a problem once it was repaired. Depending on the location of the screw and whether or not you drove on it while flat will make a difference in if it can be repaired or not.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

I have the MINI Roadside Service and I have the Road Hazzard Warranty(to me a must have for RF's or a emergency fund that you pay into for your auto expenses/repairs). I have an average 2 flats per year and I cannot risk running without a spare, RF's or roadside service -- I do to much driving both in and out of the city and I am basically always on call. also, I need the space I ahev in the R56 so I don't care to load up my valuable cargo space with a tire, nor do I want to change it when I am in my work clothes which is almost all of the time. I will say this I write it off as a business expense, whihc isn't the case or possible for a lot of people.

I do think RF's are a bit noisy and sometimes a ruff ride but I am not really bothered by it.
pmddre

Post by pmddre »

Shore Tire sounds like the place to go!
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

Runflats are more expensive the smaller they are - I replaced my 17" rims with 16" rims and the whole set, with runflats cost the same as it would have for just 4 17" runflat tires.

So I just found some fancy 16" rims ;)
KangaMINI
anima

Post by anima »

So I got my new tires, non-runflats - very nice. :-) Samer done me right.

It's nice to have my car back again (only to go to NYC for a week)

Jeff
Last edited by anima on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Good move..........

Practically everyone I talk to seems to agree that the runflats are just not the way to go.

Will you be back from NYC in time to join us at MINIs at the Drive in on Sat, the 13th Sept?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
anima

Post by anima »

no, I'm gonna miss that. :-(

Jeff