My classic wont start. HELP!

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MiniVespa

My classic wont start. HELP!

Post by MiniVespa »

Hey all. Went out to start my 89 Mini 30 the other day after it sat in the garage for about a week (and drove and started just fine the last time I drove it). Put my key in, before turning it over my cd player and all the dash lights come on as normal. I turn the key over and nothing, but a slight click. I was in a hurry, was pissed and jumped in my jetta to go run my errands. Went out of town for a few days, came home tonight, the weather is gorgeous and I again get in my Mini, same issue. When I drove it a week ago, I left the rear defrost on by accident. Would this drain the battery? I hooked up my jetta with jumper cables, let it run for 15 minutes hoping it would charge her up, and still nothing.

Does this sound like a battery issue? I know classics are notorious for electrical issues, and I dont think most car's rear defrost would stay on after you shut the car off, but who knows. My father has a battery charger, and I could run it over there and put it on a charger and at least see how much juice it has. Any help? Thanks.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Put a charger on it first, but also check your battery cable connections, pay special attention to where the ground cable connects to the body of the car - it sounds like a bad cable connection at the battery to me, or a bad ground............
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniVespa

Post by MiniVespa »

Just an update, hooked the battery up to a charger, cleaned connections, etc. Charged it up, and no dice.

Tapped the starter a few times with a hammer and it freed up the brushes and started like a brand new one. Gonna carry a hammer with me just in case it happens again. If it does, looks like I gotta roll with a new starter. Thanks Dave!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If you'r capable of taking the starter out of the car, you're capable of fixing it too. Remove the brushes, blow out all the crap inside, look at the commutator (where the brushes touch the armature) and see if it's worn badly. if it is - new starter. If it's not, clean, lube, new brushes and it's good as new..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)