MINI Motoring Clubs Spring Getaway, Mt. Rushmore

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We made a res at the Golden spike, just in case we do take the Pups - they're the only one in the area that allow dogs......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Jonathan and Doug Travis e-mailed links this week and I thought I'd pass them along for those still considering going on this trip....sure does sound like fun!

http://www.travelsd.com/travelsmartInt. ... March+2009

http://www.travelsd.com/
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Are you all planning to drive straight thru from KC to Hill City in one day?

We think it's going to be a bit much, so we're planning to go to North Platte on Wed and stay the night there, then meet up with everyone at Carhenge at 5 pm on Thursday and caravan up with the group from there to Hill City - that way it's two leisurly 6 hour days behind the wheel instead of one major long killer 12 hour day........

Then who's going where on Friday?

We're trying to decide on Devil's Tower Friday, then Rushmore and maybe Custer on Sat, or vice versa, or?

Any thoughts?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Two six hour days sure sounds good to this old fa*t. Now we need another hotel room for Wed nite---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We're looking into places in North Platte right now, all the usual places are there like the Hampton and such............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Minidave wrote:Great pic, Kabootist............vistas like this are part of why I like the western US........
With the exception of the drainage ditch, im sure. :D

still havent made up my mind on if im going, I'll be up there in august, so I dont know if thats too much Black Hills for one person in a year.
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

More info from Jonathan:

And our run is now only 60 days out. If you have not confirmed with me (sent your full name, cell phone, lodging choice and arrival ETA) please do.

In the meantime you can order swag. Thanks go to Rick Gonzales of MINI5280 who runs the club web page, the www.MinisintheMountains.com site and our CafePress site also.

JPS
www.cafepress.com/mini5280
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Motoring Clubs Spring Getaway, Mt. Rushmore

Post by MiniGeoff »

My wife and I are still considering this as an option, but she's in the process of changing jobs and won't know for sure her availability for a bit. Is there a hard and fast deadline someone must know? I know hotel reservations are our own responsibility...
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

No deadline that I know of other than motels. The more the merrier---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We're really looking forward to this trip, right now we're planning to caravan up with Davester and maybe the Blue Goose to North Platte on Wed, then meet the group in Alliance on Thursday afternoon for the pic, and caravan up with the rest that evening to Hill City.

Gonna be a blast! :elec: :lyellow: :indi:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

MiniGeoff wrote:My wife and I are still considering this as an option, but she's in the process of changing jobs and won't know for sure her availability for a bit. Is there a hard and fast deadline someone must know? I know hotel reservations are our own responsibility...
There are no hard and fast deadlines, registrations deadlines, ect. This is strictly an informal opportunity to hang out and motor through some beautiful country with a bunch of MINI lovers from 4 or 5 states. Everyone who is interested in attending is welcome.
Hope to see you there. :D

Saturn and I will met you all in Alliance on Thursday. We are hoping to hook up with the St Louis MINIs as they pass by KC, if it they do not leave to late in the morning.
I can't wait... I can really use a weekend of Motoring!
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Ugh! I checked my work calander, and there is someone on my team off during that time. It certainly means I can't take a LOT of time off, Friday is probably I can get off if I can get anything.

However, the wife and I are night owls, so we *might* consider making a midnight dash after I get off work on Friday afternoon if we don't have any other option and still want to go, just in time to be there Sat morning for some of the festivities. Sure' we'd roll in at like 4am, but some is better then none, right?
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Come if you can, you know we'd love to have you along.

Just FYI, y'all. I've invited Pat and Chip Cody, who have attended a couple of our drive-in nights when they were MINI-sitting their son's car and who were with me on our chocolate tour to go with us. The have a Mitsubishi convertible so I know they'd enjoy the drives too..
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Here's a link to info Doug Travis sent this evening...
http://t.lt01.net/m/480QdQbZUGFmh08bm1W ... mP7fxUrEvw
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Here's a bit of updated info from Jonathan:

For our trip to South Dakota and the 1st Annual High Plains Motoring event. We hope that all of you can join us, but we understand if your plans have changed and you cannot. Whatever the case, here is your 1 month reminder of the event (actually, 5 weeks). Note that:

Some folks are planning to meetup before 5 pm at CarHenge in Alliance, NE on Thursday afternoon, May 14th. We will proceed to Hill City, SD that evening for our first night's rest in the Black Hills.
Some folks will be going direct to Hill City. That is fine.
Some folks will be arriving on Friday, which is cool too. Just let me know if that is you so that we can publish and post where we will be taking off to for that AM's ride. Then you can find us.
If you cannot go and wish to be removed from this distribution list, please hit REPLY and put DELETE in the subject box. I will gladly take you out.
If there is someone else you want us to invite (and send the logistics sheet to) then hit REPLY and put ADD in the subject box. Then give me that person's name, phone and or email (I need an email) so we can send stuff to them.
If you have have questions, hit REPLY (jonathan.souza@allstate.com). If you have comments for the group or need feedback, hit REPLY TO ALL.

We look forward to seeing you soon. Oh, and some other promo attached. Don't forget our discussion forums in NAM (MINI5280) for this event.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... 009-a.html

Jonathan, Doug and Jim

JPS
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Here is a few ideas from Jonathan for some activities in the area for High Plains Motorers:

* Jewel Cave National Monument - http://www.nps.gov/jeca (http://www.nps.gov/jeca) At 144 miles, the 2nd longest cave in the world. 13 mi west of Custer, SD....
* S Dakota Air and Space Museum, Ellsworth Air Force Base http://www.ellsworth.af.mil (http://www.ellsworth.af.mil) FREE. 28 aircraft and home of the B1 Bomber. Just outside of Rapid City.
* The Dahl Art Center, home of the 200 ft long cyclorama (mural of American History) FREE.
* The Journey Museum of the Western Frontier - Rapid City SD. Fee.

Come join us....

Jonathan

All the best,
North American Motoring
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Read this if over 62 for National Park Fees---

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass - Senior Pass
$10 - Valid for holder's lifetime

Details
One time charge for citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are 62 years or older. This nontransferable pass allows lifetime entrance to all National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife areas. It also entitles the bearer to a 50% discount on camping fees in many federal campgrounds. It cannot be used at concession facilities or cooperating association bookstores. Identification must be provided at the time of purchase.

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Well, it's settled. Between 2 jobs that won't give vacation time that week, and family members coming into town from CA, TX, and maybe DC, it's simply impossible for Mrs MiniGeoff and I to make the trip. :(

You all enjoy yourselves, we wish we were going to be with you!
06 Subaru WRX
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ouch, too many irons in the fire, eh? First things first tho........

Wish you could have gone, we'd have enjoyed your company.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
monty
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by monty »

Myself and Tracy are in we got are res. at the golden spike.
2015 MINI Cooper S. Thunder Gray/Black roof, cold weather package, sport package, JCW Tuning kit and exhaust.
Name : Handsome Rob
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

monty wrote:Myself and Tracy are in we got are res. at the golden spike.
Great, will you be leaving on Wednesday ( you could caravan up with Davester) or if you are leaving early on Thursday, you can motor with Saturn and myself. (Leaving PVMO before 4:00 am :lol: )
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

The "Goose" will be headin out with "Davester" and "Minidave"on Wed the 13th. Early afternoon departure, I think! The more the merrier. :D :D
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
monty
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by monty »

So far our plan is to leave wed. afternoon with you guys.
2015 MINI Cooper S. Thunder Gray/Black roof, cold weather package, sport package, JCW Tuning kit and exhaust.
Name : Handsome Rob
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That's great, as they say the more the merrier.......I have some short range walky-talkys I can bring if we want, save on the cell phone charges.

Speaking of cell phones, why don't you all PM me your cell numbers and I'll put together a list for everybody so we can stay in touch as needed.

Our current plan is to hit the road from O.P. right about noonish putting us in the northland 30 min or so later, why don't you north guys pick a place to rendezvous.........Platte city exit on 29 maybe? That way we could take 435 all the way north and meet up with you all. I'm open to other ideas tho...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

PM sent. Thanks for compiling the list.