Seeking to know if this is true...

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MCUSA

Seeking to know if this is true...

Post by MCUSA »

I have an issue with my MC 2005 CVT transmission that appears to be unique in all the threads that I have read on the MC forums and am seeking advice because the dealership I am working with is telling me what I describe below is normal.

In the mornings when I get in my car to go to work and in the afternoon when I leave work and I start the engine then put the gear selector in Reverse and step on the gas, the car does not move. I have to step on the accelerator and revv the engine for a few seconds before the car slips into gear and the tires squeal as the transmission engages. This has happened in the summer and in the winter so it is not seasonal.

It is sporadic so when I have taken my car to the dealership they can not replicate the issue. I have also learned that if this happens when I start the car that if I place the gear selector back in Park and then revv the engine hard for a few seconds, then move the gear selector back to Reverse the transmission will engage. I know I have spoken mainly about Reverse, however this happens when I move the gear selector to Drive also.

The car is a 2005 Mini Cooper with slightly over 38,000 miles and has had routine maintenance on the car about two or three months ago, when I first brought this issue to the dealers attention and they told me then that the car diagnostics did not show any issue and that what I was experiencing was normal. Also the car is parked on a flat surface or in my drive way at 1 degree angle at the most.

So is this normal for the CVT transmission to be acting like this?

By the way, I think the people I am dealing with are good people.

It is probably the mechanic has not encountered this issue before. And therefore if he can not replicate it, in the short time he has seen my car, then obviosly there is no issue.

Thanks,

McUSA
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

I too have an 05MCS with auto. I have noticed that when the selector is placed in R or D sometimes it is actually in neutral even with the light indicating otherwise. I'm just a little more careful now with selecting the correct gear. It seems it's just a quirk I've gotten used to.
From what your saying it sounds like your not getting the transmission all the way into gear.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I don't think your problem is "normal". It shouldn't be anyway, no matter what the mechanic says. I had a similar problem with my '03 CVT when the car sat for 8 - 10 hours. Found a slight transmission oil leak at drive shaft seals so fluid was low. Dealer replaced seals and filled to proper level and no problems since. According to Bentley shop manual, getting CVT transmission fluid to correct level is an elaborate procedure. I'm not sure all mechanics follow procedure to the letter (or use the correct fluid).
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What George says.

It sounds like you're either low on fluid, or it's taking a bit for the pump to get pressure up, revving it in park speeds the process up.

What Frank says has merit too if you're not quite into gear, but I'm betting you're low on fluid.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I probably have the same version of the CVT as you (the first version on earlier models was reportedly very prone to failure) and do not have the problem you describe.

I would ask about the fluid level and also ask to have the parameters reset. The small transmission issue I did have was better after having things reset. The only slight quirk I experience consistently is the transmission not immediately catching on a cold start, however if I let the car warm up a bit before putting it in gear, there's no problem.

If you don't get anywhere, I'd seriously push for a replacement while still under warranty or within some reasonable mileage of warranty expiration. At $7,000-$8,000 to replace, it would be nice to have that done on someone else's dollar. :)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MCUSA

Post by MCUSA »

The Service Manager called this afternoon and said they are going to make some adjustments to the transmission as well as perform the scheduled maintenance checks on the vehicle.

I have no problem with the slight delay, it is the prolonged delay that is abnormal. I enjoy the car quite a bit, and would hate to have a continuing issue tarnish my enjoyment of a car that I have wanted for many years.

I'll keep you folks posted. Once again I appreciate what the guys at the dealership are doing. Their professionalism in dealing with this issue has been great.

Thanks,

MCUSA
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

My .02 on this is

02-08 Justacooper includes the vert has a Continuous SS Variable Transmission which is belt driven = no gears. So no tranny fluid just special CVT OIL. Completely computer controlled so as you said they had to do some adjustment.

05-current MCS has the traditional torque converter and gears. Only thing that is controlled by the computer is the shift points.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Punk_Mini wrote:My .02 on this is

02-08 Justacooper includes the vert has a Continuous SS Variable Transmission which is belt driven = no gears. So no tranny fluid just special CVT OIL. Completely computer controlled so as you said they had to do some adjustment.
Just to avoid any potential linguistic confusion, there is transmission fluid in the CVT. While perhaps not standard fluid, it has transmission fluid and is referred to by the service dept., manual, etc...as transmission fluid. The changing of the fluid is on the maintenance schedule and if attempting to change it yourself, it's a pretty involved task, not to mention being unable to source the fluid in a reasonable quantity locally. So if any other CVT folks are interested in a 20 liter group buy, let me know. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Johnna has it right, the "belts" are actually steel multi section metal chains, similar to what's used in a 4X4 transfer case, they ride in the oil too - not belts as in serpentine or fan belts.

Here's an even better pic of the belt.

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Here's a pic of the one used in the MINI, if you notice towards the flywheel or engine end of this is a cross section of a multi plate clutch, that's actually what engages the "gears" to make it go. My concern is that it's either low on fluid or the pump is unable to make enough pressure to engage this clutch - that's why it doesn't go till you rev it up.

Purely conjecture on my part of course, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.............. :lol: 8)

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MCUSA

Post by MCUSA »

I got my mini back today. I will find out in the next day or so if the issue is resolved. I'll keep you folks posted.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

So may not be related at all so some disclaimer here. But on Snow mobiles that use CVT transmissions, we found a few weeks ago during our trip to colorado that if they dont put out enough power the clutch wont engage and shift the tranny into gear. Solution in the case of the snowmobile: re jet/tune the carbs for the altitude and change the clutch spring. didnt have to change the spring but did re-jet/tune and it helped a lot.

I figure these CVTs can't be much different as the concept is the same, maybe the engines aren't putting out enough power to get it going? who knows, just a thought, doesnt make sense since they dont put the CVTs in the Cooper S.
MCUSA

Post by MCUSA »

Here is an update for all of you readers, I wrote this e-mail to the Dealership this morning.

It has been four days since getting my Mini Cooper back and I have to tell you that the car is running better than it has since I bought it. We aren’t completely out of the woods yet, as I want to go a full month or so before I am satisfied the sporadic issue does not pop up again. I will say that other symptoms of the transmission that I had not associated to the same thing have also been resolved. That issue is that in stop and go traffic the car would “stutter step”. That I associated to the normal operation of the car. I was not worried about that as the transmission not engaging after a cold start was my primary concern. However, that issue has been resolved and tested this morning in rush hour traffic. The Mini Cooper transmission has engaged correctly in the last 4 days after normal use of the vehicle. The approximate one second delay is there, now that I am cognizant of the description others have provided. To reiterate my original issue was not the same as the one second delay that the mechanic and others have described. The adjustments made to the transmission appear to have resolved the issues. I will keep you informed if the original situation returns.

I want to express my appreciation in your professionalism in handling the situation even though the issue was not able to be replicated at your location.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

So what did they do to it?

What did they find?

Did they reflash the software?

Enquiring minds want to know! 8) :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"