BMW Club DE at Hallett – July 10-12, 2009

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

Attention Driving Enthusiasts:

The Kansas City and Sunbelt Chapters of BMWCCA are combining efforts again to deliver the next "No Excuses 2" High-Performance Driver's School at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit on July 10-12. Once again we are offering one of the best values in the region for lots of track time, excellent instruction, a fun and challenging course, and our famous cultural enrichment sessions!

Raising the bar another level over our sell-out event last year, we will be featuring a new HPDE classroom presentation created by the great Ross Bentley. Bentley has combined over 20 seasons of race driving experience and 18 years of race driving instruction to become one of North America's foremost authorities on the art of driving. His series, Speed Secrets, is one of the best selling series of performance driving books of all time.

Can it get any better? Yes it can! World Challenge Pro Racer, and owner of Bimmerworld, James Clay has announced he plans on attending our Driving School!!!

More info here:

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/index.php?o...d=53&Itemid=57

Registration will go LIVE at 9:00 AM CT on May 1st at MotorsportReg.com.

2-day Students receive an incredible early bird value at $259.

Instructors will pay an early bird price of only $119 FOR THREE DAYS! Also, Instructors, you can pack light! Leave your Saturday and Sunday shirts at home!! At registration, will give you two special "Instructor" shirts for the weekend!!

But wait there's more...our "refer a friend" program rewards you for referring a first-time particpant to our school. If your first-time participant friend lists your name on their registration form, you will receive a free event shirt! With these tremendous opportunities to save money, we expect another sell-out event! Be ready for the opening of registration on May 1st, and don't forget to tell your friends!!!

Don't miss this tremendous opportunity to drive the fun and challenging turns at Hallett, receive a high-level of instruction, and have fun with your driving enthusiast friends. Make sure that you sign up before we sell out.
BMW Mike

Re: BMW Club DE at Hallett – July 10-12, 2009

Post by BMW Mike »

Anyone coming?

Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

I'm seriously considering it. Have to allocate funds and discuss with my wife (we have several non-MINI events in July that will cost $). I'll know in a couple of days. Thanks for the invite!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

Hagar46 wrote:I'm seriously considering it. Have to allocate funds and discuss with my wife (we have several non-MINI events in July that will cost $). I'll know in a couple of days. Thanks for the invite!
George, bring your wife! Hallett's park like infield, complete with a pond and picnic tables, is great for families. The Finish Line Cafe in the tower is air conditioned and has windows that look out over turn 10 and the front straight.

Also atop the grandstands at T9, you can see a good portion of the track.
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

I'm planning to attend. Just wanted to share my recent experiences having just attended the HPT DE last weekend in my MINI S - what an eye-opening experience and absolute blast! You will gain a true appreciation for both your capabilities as well as the car, but more importantly an opportunity to work on tightening that loose nut behind the wheel :D This is an excellent event with an outstanding bunch of fellow car enthusiasts!

Justin
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Justin, I'm going as well. In the process of registering today. Anyone else from KCMINICLUB?

*Registration approved and paid for so I'm definitely there!
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

Justin and George,,,,,,,welcome aboard!

Justin, it was great meeting you last weekend.

You guys are going to have a great time at Hallett!

Justin, here's your instructor last weekend at Hallett last year.

And some other pics from our Hallett DE last year.

Not DE video, but some of our race video from last summer.

http://www.fototime.com/3C8D0D8FC7594F3/conv.wmv
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Registered!
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

Monday is the last day for early bird pricing. Don't wait! Sign up now!!
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

James Clay, Winning World Challenge Racer, owner of Bimmerworld, and one of our DE Sponsors, has move from the “will possibly be there”, to “will probably be there” list!!

Word has it he may take some Students and Instructors for rides……possibly in their cars if they like!!

I have ridden with James “at speed” at VIR. It was an awesome ride!

DO NOT WAIT. SIGN UP NOW!!!
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Just wanted to help share a little extra motivation with fellow Mini enthusiasts :D After many years of interest, watching from the sidelines, and last minute excuses, I finally participated as a student in my first DE event with my MCS last month at Heartland Park - what an absolute blast! Certainly it's always fun to hop in the Mini and go for a spin, but the high caliber of one-on-one instruction you'll receive in a controlled environment during one of these events is unmatched. I've participated in a number of autocross events, as well as several autocross schools, which are always a lot fun; however, it's definitely a lot different when you're at greater speed, for longer periods of time, on a road course to really work on refining your skills and exploring the limits of your car! The BMW CCA (administrating body of the Hallet event) is an outstanding organization which has now become the world's largest owner supported car club - I've been involved to varying degrees in different chapters across the country over the past 15 years with different Bimmers and now the Mini - certainly the KC region BMW CCA is among the best that I've experienced. KC members I've had the opportunity to meet have been incredibly friendly and eager to help share their passion for driving and car enthusiasm. If you're on the fence, this is a great, and very reasonably priced, event - jump in and do it! I believe there will be an organized caravan to trek down - should be a great chance to get to know others :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MiniJayhawk

Post by MiniJayhawk »

I instructed Justin and can attest to **poop** eating grin he developed in a short amount of time. :thumbsup: He did a fine job and we both had a great time as he developed his skills over the weekend. I encourage everyone to attend. Hallett is the perfect track for the Mini and I had a blast in my S last year. Although I have a BMW now, I hope it comes close to being as much fun at HAllett as the Mini was. We also tend to have a little fun in the evenings because this has a true college road trip feel to it. :cheers:

And Mike --- Why haven't you e-mailed that photo to me???? :?:
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

Less than a month out. We still have a few spots left. Sign up now!
BMW Mike

Post by BMW Mike »

It's 2 weeks out. We still have spots open!

You know you want to join us!

Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Great event but just too hot. Was 100+ degrees on Saturday and was sick on Sunday morning so I missed day 2 which was forecast to be even hotter. Other than that, it was fantastic. Hallett is definitely a fun and challenging track with lots of change in elevation making for blind corners. It was very helpful to have an instructor and I learned a lot to help me drive a better line and improve my track speed. Just wish I could have used some of it on Sunday.

Got 60 minutes of in car video including Justin passing me in his MCS. Will post some video once my wife has a chance to edit it. However, the video just does not do the experience justice. It does not capture the elevation changes or the G forces that you experience.

All in all, a great time that I would do again in cooler weather!
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The heat is a factor for me in our Heartland Park Touring Laps events too, and is why I rarely sign up for the July / August sessions.......sounds like a pretty good event tho!

I want to go run on the new track near Denver too, I was hoping to try and do it in conjunction with MITM this year, but I don't think we're gonna make it to that event. Plus too and also, since it's mid August and the track is about an hour east of Denver out on the high plains, I've got a feeling it will be plenty hot there too. But it looks like such a great track!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

My first time to Hallett as welll - what an incredibly fun track! Instruction was excellent - always something for any driver to work on regardless of one's experience level - the organizers did a great job of tailoring class and instructors to focus on improving students' skills.

George is absolutely correct - I watched in car video of KC BMW club member race before attending the event and didn't begin to appreciate what it looks like in person. Heartland is certainly a lot of fun, but this track, for me anyway, was much more technical and challenging. The Mini is really in its element there :D

Justin

Hagar46 wrote:Great event but just too hot. Was 100+ degrees on Saturday and was sick on Sunday morning so I missed day 2 which was forecast to be even hotter. Other than that, it was fantastic. Hallett is definitely a fun and challenging track with lots of change in elevation making for blind corners. It was very helpful to have an instructor and I learned a lot to help me drive a better line and improve my track speed. Just wish I could have used some of it on Sunday.

Got 60 minutes of in car video including Justin passing me in his MCS. Will post some video once my wife has a chance to edit it. However, the video just does not do the experience justice. It does not capture the elevation changes or the G forces that you experience.

All in all, a great time that I would do again in cooler weather!