The RETURN of the cold start chatter!

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
saturn

The RETURN of the cold start chatter!

Post by saturn »

OK, so I had the full monty done on the timing tensioner about 3 or 4 months ago. Twice within the past two weeks the infamous "Cold-Start Death Rattle" has come back. I'm wondering, am I the only one that's had the replacement done and had the noise come back in the club? :cry:
suzerp

Re: The RETURN of the cold start chatter!

Post by suzerp »

Is this only happening on S's?

I have a 09 just-a-cooper that I bought in June. In August I became the owner of a new valvetronic motor actuator because the original failed - for a while before tow-truck day I was getting a weird start up - multiple revs, like I was stepping on the gas pedal (but I wasn't).

Problem was gone until yesterday (maybe). I can't tell if I'm over sensitive because I'm just watching it hyper carefully, or if it's back. When I google, this chatter issue comes up, but I can't tell if it's the same or different.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

suzerp wrote:Is this only happening on S's?

I have a 09 just-a-cooper that I bought in June. In August I became the owner of a new valvetronic motor actuator because the original failed - for a while before tow-truck day I was getting a weird start up - multiple revs, like I was stepping on the gas pedal (but I wasn't).

Problem was gone until yesterday (maybe). I can't tell if I'm over sensitive because I'm just watching it hyper carefully, or if it's back. When I google, this chatter issue comes up, but I can't tell if it's the same or different.

That sounds like the moisture in the throttle body issue. I read it on NAM but usually it happens when it gets cold outside and the moisture freezes and causes the throttle to be all funky. I think they said they resolved it by installing a catch can before the throttle body to catch moisture before it makes it there..
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

From what I have read on the various MINI sites, it seems that the fix only works part of the time. There have been a number of owners report that the chatter came back after the fix. Baron replaced the tensioner on mine about 3 weeks ago and so far so good.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

They replaced the tensioner on mine in April, so far so good...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

My JCW does it.
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

Is this a common thing? I got my 09 last Feb and have not yet experienced this. Hopefully I didn't just jinks myself.
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Plenty of posts about it on other forums. It's not UNcommon that's for sure.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

suzerp wrote:y I was getting a weird start up - multiple revs, like I was stepping on the gas pedal (but I wasn't).

Mine has been doing the the past couple days (also, the check engine light will come on with it). After letting the car warm up and then shutting the car off and turning it back on it usually fixes it. Also found out if that doesn't do it, if you rev up your engine a little (once it's warm) and then restart it, it might fix it.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Well if you have this system, take it to the dealership. My timing chain was lose. Talk to anyone up there, and they should know what yer talking about. If not, just point to the lowered JCW Clubman that's sitting in there, and say it made the noise that one did. (Yes it's still up there.)
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

Just had my timing chain (stretched) and tensioner, etc replaced at Baron. This did fix my chatter at startup. Since the replacement tensioner is beefier, assume this is a factory thang.
SPAARKY:Had R56 MCS, Born 6/2008 BUT traded for an F56 in 2/2017.
R56 repairs: Turbo oil line leak,Timing Chain/Tensioner at 26K,46K, also needed at 105K. Big repair bill caused me to trade it off for the F56.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

How long had it been making the noise?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

Many months had it been chattering, but I go reeeeaaalll easy when it does that. Service advisor said sometimes there is even a plastic part that shatters in there, what a mess.

I have had a timing chain go out before, so I am familiar...The MINI chain is a little quieter as it goes out. Anyway, mine was 'stretched', so the paperwork said.
R56 repairs: Turbo oil line leak,Timing Chain/Tensioner at 26K,46K, also needed at 105K. Big repair bill caused me to trade it off for the F56.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Why didn't you get it fixed the first or second time you heard it? Why did you wait so long?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

The "growl" was very short-lived on short start. Also read on other blogs that this was a mini characteristic!
MINImalist
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MINImalist »

I've been to the dealer numerous times for other issues..............you would have thought they would have caught it!????? :?: