Need Help shrooms!

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Need Help shrooms!

Post by ksminiman »

I am a 3rd year automotive student however I have never dealt with something like the shrooming issue on a MINI. My car has significant shrooming on both driver and passenger sides. I just received my M7 plates I ordered and before attempting the 2X4 fix wanted to know if anyone in the area has done this before. I can probably figure it out however it is my new to me beloved MINI and I dont want to beat on her without knowing exactly how I should go about it. I have read both ways of either removing the bolts and lifting before striking as well as leaving the bolts on. What is usually done about the bent strut tower mount? will it pull back into place once the strut tower is pounded down and the plate is torqued into place? This whole thing makes me feel like I am playing with aluminum foil lol.

All help is greatly appreciated :D
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Need Help shrooms!

Post by DA MINI »

You might look for help on NAM.
Mr. F56
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

How's bout a pic of the strut towers? I'd like to see how badly they've bent. Is your car lowered, or does it have aftermarket springs? Just curious.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I guess they are worse than I thought now that I have taken pictures of them. even so opinions? here they are:

passenger:

driver:

Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I wouldn't bother, those aren't going to cause you any problems.

True, you probably can't get your plates over them, but I don't think those plates do any good anyway.....I'd just leave them alone.

If you truly want to install them, just take a 2X4 and a 3lb hammer to them and flatten them out a little till the plates lay flat.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

every bit helps I guess. thank you
Hi. My name is Tommy.
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Like Dave said get a hammer and a 2x4 and go to town, that's what i did and the first few blows you think your hitting it way to hard then you put the plate on and realize you did not even make a dent in it so calculated whacks are what it takes . They honestly don't look that bad from the picture, just make sure your aim is good and don't hit the threads for your struts. The most important part is make sure your plates came with new nuts (mine did not) because the originals will strip when you take them off (real cheap) So you definitely need to have those before you start. You could have baron do it but they use the hammer and 2x4 method also and charge enough that you will hit yourself with the hammer. There is someone here that claimed it on their insurance and it worked out real nice for them. If she goes down the road straight and tire wear is even your good no rush to put them on. Oh you will need touch up paint also :D

Good Luck
Mark
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I anticipated the touch up paint as on NAM someone said use a towel or a rag under the 2X4 to prevent paint chips. thank you for the tip about the nuts! cant forget nuts lol
Hi. My name is Tommy.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

ksminiman-

I put the M7 plates on my '06 shortly after purchasing it new. I honestly can't tell you whether they have saved me or not. I figured a $100 preventative bolt on was worth cost and effort. I had no problem reusing the OE nuts--maybe because the car was still factory fresh.

Granted, I don't have any experience with mushroomed towers, but I really had to scrutinize your photos to see any deformities. Have you tried putting the plates on without doing any pounding first? If the shock studs are parallel enough to allow the M7 plates to slip over them, I think I wouldn't bring out the hammer.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up