Oil Change on an R56

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Oil Change on an R56

Post by Minidave »

I've done my own oil changes for years like lots of folks, but the R56 is a little different than my '03 R53.

The oil plug uses an allen socket rather than a regular hex socket - 8mm .

Also, the oil filter in on the front of the motor instead of the back, and I think it's quite a bit easier to get to. First you have to remove one 8mm head screw that holds the radiator reservoir tank in place, then once you lift the tank up and out of the way, the filter housing is right below. It takes a 27mm socket on a ratchet and extension to remove it, but it's easy to pull it out. The filter is also different on the R56, and just snaps into the black plastic filter housing. Change the o-ring on the housing, put a little oil on it and screw it right back in, easy peasy. The factory oil filters come with the o-ring and seal for the drain plug too.

Add 5qts of oil and Bob's yer uncle!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Oil Change on an R56

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Wow doesn't sound too hard. :) I saw a thread with some pictures on NAM too... That made it look a little complicated though..
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I changed my oil at 5K in the garage. The process has a few more steps than most cars, but overall it isn't very difficult at all.

The one dude on NAM posted up pics, but he mistakenly drained his transmission fluid instead of the oil. I am not sure how you can get that one confused.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yeah, I can't imagine that either, the drain plug is right out there in the open on the bottom of the engine. When folks write on NAM about doing simple jobs on their cars and they don't even know what bolts to undo or what wrench they need, I question whether they should be doing the job at all, at least without some knowledgable supervision. Everyone has to learn somehow, but some folks just don't have that inate nuts and bolts ability, and they either need to invest in a good book, like a Bentley, or else get some beer and buddies who do know over to help.

CM, you can do this job easily, the only thing you might need to buy are the 8mm allen socket and the 27mm socket to fit the end of the filter housing, it's really that easy (and of course, a drain pan). Both can be acquired inexpensively at Harbor Freight or even Sears.

I like to change my oil about every 7500 or twice a year. It may not be necessary, but for the $35 it costs for the filter kit and oil, it seems a good investment in a car you want to keep. Just dispose of the old oil and filter properly by taking them to your nearby auto parts store to be recycled.

I can take some pics and put them up if y'all want .....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

We should have an oil change day. LOL I actually thought about changing my oil at 5000 miles but if it can go till 7500 that'd work too..I will NOT go to 15,000 before they change the oil.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I know BMW thinks that it's acceptable to go 15K or more between changes and maybe it is, but again, for no more than it costs to DIY, I think every 7500 is just good insurance.

I know I was surprised when I changed mine at 3K before we went on the South Dakota run just how dirty the oil felt. I understand with synthetic oil you can't just go by the color as it turns dark pretty quickly, but it even felt gritty then. This last time it felt real clean and normal. MINI will change it again at 1 year or 15K so that will be three fresh changes in 15K, that should give it a good head start on lasting a long time.

The grit I felt could have been from my bad chain tensioner and wear from the chain slapping against the case. If so, since they fixed that at 3K and I haven't had it again, maybe that's why the oil felt so much cleaner this last time.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

It might have been just from the break in time too...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

I probably wouldn't go 15k on the 25k Amsoil.
monza

Post by monza »

15k is absurd. You can put the 'best' oil in there possible that has the longest life, but you cant stop the contamination of the oil from combustion byproducts that get in the oil. Acids, carbon, unburned fuel, partially burned fuel residues, metalic particles not caught by filter, etc...the oil gets full up on stuff that dilutes it and eats metal.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I agree that it seems absurd, but there must be a reason that they specify these long change intervals, especially since they're on the hook via warranty if it fails.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the type of driving you do, too. My daily commute is 40 miles, all but 4 of it on the hiway, so my oil gets thoroughly warmed up and the moisture burnt out of it. Those who do mostly stop and go city driving do not, and I have to believe they need their oil changed more often than I do, but doesn't the change interval computer take this into account?

At any rate, given the relative ease of the job and reasonable cost (especially when Mobil 1 is available at Wal Mart for $22 for 5 quarts) it seems smart to me to double down on the oil changes.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
monza

Post by monza »

Minidave wrote:Well, I agree that it seems absurd, but there must be a reason that they specify these long change intervals, especially since they're on the hook via warranty if it fails.
They know that the engine wont fail during the warranty, but they really dont care after that... The largest failure from super long intervals isnt really caused from wear, its a buildup of sludge, which they will gladly clean out for you at a high cost (or if you were a lucky SAAB or Toyota owner, you got your engine replaced). Its all a calculated cost to them. I know from rebuilding engines that staying on the oil is the #1 insurance against failure...even if your interval is 7500 miles...
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the type of driving you do, too. My daily commute is 40 miles, all but 4 of it on the hiway, so my oil gets thoroughly warmed up and the moisture burnt out of it. Those who do mostly stop and go city driving do not, and I have to believe they need their oil changed more often than I do, but doesn't the change interval computer take this into account?
Yeah its supposed to, but I dont think it works well at all. I drive 4 miles to work. Its slow driving, stoplights, and short. My car barely gets hot by the time I get to work. Yet the service light has not come on in over 12,000 miles...and its still estimating like 2,000 at startup!