best place for a replacement windshield?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
cdecker78

best place for a replacement windshield?

Post by cdecker78 »

As stated in subject line. I need a new windshield thanks to a pickup and a little rock. So where and how much should I expect to pay?
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: best place for a replacement windshield?

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1736

I also used Auto Glass & Tint and they gave me a nice discount for mentioning I am a member of the KC MINI Club.

I thought there was another more recent related windshield thread but couldn't find it. ddmini and Saturn both mentioned a place in Independence?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
monza

Post by monza »

Do you have windshield coverage on your car insurance? If not, get it for future problems. I pay about $5 per 6months for coverage and have used it many times over the years.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Some insurance companies like myself have a lower deductable specific for windshield repair. I know of a few window shops, but ragtops idea sounds good.
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

Well here is what I have found... My insurance is outrageous on glass coverage. But I am a Costco Member so I get a discount through Safelite Auto. I can get a new Windshield installed for $275.

Here is the funny part... I called my insurance and found out they will repair my windshield for free or I have a $500 deductible to replace it. But I also have a $500 deductible if I total out the car and both go as a CLAIM! So I asked my insurance guy what would keep me from falling asleep at the wheel and totaling out my car and getting a WHOLE NEW CAR for $500?

HMMM...
New Windshield $275
New Car $500
Insurance company forking out $30,000 on a new car because they would not pay the $275 for a new windshield... PRICELESS :!:

Now I am not saying I would do such a thing but come on who are the idiot number crunchers at my insurance company that wants to charge me $120 a year for glass coverage :shock: !
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

cdecker78 wrote:Well here is what I have found... My insurance is outrageous on glass coverage. But I am a Costco Member so I get a discount through Safelite Auto. I can get a new Windshield installed for $275.

Here is the funny part... I called my insurance and found out they will repair my windshield for free or I have a $500 deductible to replace it. But I also have a $500 deductible if I total out the car and both go as a CLAIM! So I asked my insurance guy what would keep me from falling asleep at the wheel and totaling out my car and getting a WHOLE NEW CAR for $500?

HMMM...
New Windshield $275
New Car $500
Insurance company forking out $30,000 on a new car because they would not pay the $275 for a new windshield... PRICELESS :!:

Now I am not saying I would do such a thing but come on who are the idiot number crunchers at my insurance company that wants to charge me $120 a year for glass coverage :shock: !
SSSHHHH!! Dag nabit, now my deductable is gonna be $10,000!
saturn

Post by saturn »

Just a little FYI that most people may not be aware of:
If you have a rock chip in your windshield WITH NO CRACKS EXTENDING FROM IT, it can be repaired. When I say no cracks extending from it, it means that the entire rock-chip can be covered up by a quarter. Most insurance companies will waive the deductible for this procedure, some insurance companies will even pay for it if you have a 500 deductible, and it won't effect your insurance premiums. There is the risk however and most glass shops will tell you this, that when they do the repair, the windshield might crack in the process, and/or, the repair might not completely fill the crack. I was an installer for 5 years and broke only one windshield in that 5 years from doing a repair. If that does happen, most glass shops will apply the repair price towards your deductible portion of having the windshield replaced. Even if you wanted to go out of pocket and not involve your insurance at all on the repair, it cost anywhere from 50-100 bucks.

Now onto replacement windshields, get OEM wherever possible. While it does not effect resale value if you have an aftermarket windshield in your car, some of them do not "fit" as well as the oem. If you take a look at your windshield, you'll notice that there's a black band around the outer edge of the windshield. This is to hide the urethane used to keep your windshield in place. Some aftermarket windshields have a narrower black band and while it won't effect the windshield itself, you will be able to see above the headliner in your car.

Just my .02!
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Kevin,I thought you were Dead!!!!!!!
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
monza

Post by monza »

cdecker78 wrote:
$120/yr! Thats insane. I just checked my latest renewal, and my glass coverage is $6.10 per 6 mo, and $7.60 on my wifes car.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

How'd you fare? Get it fixed?
cdecker78

Post by cdecker78 »

not yet been too busy
S-car-go
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by S-car-go »

I must say, the MINI seems to be a magnet for this kind of thing. My windshield is still intact but I recently took a small stone or something to the bonnet that left a small dent. It eats me up every time I look at it!!!
2012 Reef Blue Clubman "S" Hampton, auto, cold weather, driving lights.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Timely topic...

My new/used '04 MCS came with a starburst crack in the windshield. Got that repaired by Kenton (118th & Renner, just off I-35 & 119th) recommended by my insurance agent. Kenton said if the windshield needs replacement, they'll discount it by the cost of repair.

Last week the dreaded 'L-shaped' stress crack magically appeared (top center, just to the right of the rear view mirror). So I've been researching windshield replacement.

Many NAM posts seem to prefer the PPG replacement instead of an OEM replacement. Seems to be better luck in avoiding repeats of the stress crack.

I'm going to wait until Spring -- no point in replacing it with another 6-8 weeks of rock salt and crappy weather. Plus, the crack is not visible from the driver's seat at this point.

I don't have windshield coverage -- perhaps I'll look into it if I can get it for $10/year like some of you.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever