Lowering Springs

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Lowering Springs

Post by DA MINI »

Have a set of NM Engineering springs for the R56. Have the sports suspension and was going to use the shocks already on the car. Been wondering about those who have done just that. Any problems with shock longevity?
Can get a new set of Koni Yellows for about $800.00. Not looking for ultimate performance, just wanting to get rid of the 4X4 look.
So what's your opinion?
Mr. F56
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Lowering Springs

Post by MiniManiac »

I threw on some H&R springs with my sports suspension. Not only did it make look better, but it also got rid of most of the body roll and torque steer. I have no idea about the longevity of the shocks.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
monza

Post by monza »

I dont have the NM springs so I cant speak to those, but I do have H-Sport springs/sway bars/lower rear control arms with JCW struts & shocks. The current set of struts/shocks have about 50k on them and I probably still have some life left. The springs wont harm your struts/shocks. If anything it may extend life to an small degree because there is less movement. Shocks wear out because the seals go bad and they loose gas charge. The less they are cycled, the longer they 'should' live. But thats all theoretical 8)

Now, if you like to have better than the already awesome handling, you will be happy with the new springs. There is more telegraphing of road defects into the car, but when you can toss it around harder thats fine with me :wink:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There are some discussions on NAM about needing adjustable camber plates when you lower the car, also warnings about increased tire wear and noise from CV joints.

A visit to the site to read might be in order, or maybe a conversation with NM to see what they advise?

For sure I'd see about a performance alignment after installing the springs. Might as well get all the performance you're paying for, both in $$$ and in ride harshness......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

You definitely need an alignment after lowering it. My rear camber was still within specs after I lowered it. However, it is at the far end end of too much neg camber. I recently purchased some Alta adjustable lower control arms to get rid of some of the camber. Other than that, I think you will be very happy with the look and the ride!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
monza

Post by monza »

I should have mentioned the alignment! that is a MUST when doing any of this stuff. Luckily with the lower control arms on the rear that I have there is a lot of adjustment in them. I dont recall what my brother ended up doing about the front, but I do know there are not camber plates and 5-6 years later there are no tire wear problems. I had Uli at Hafkemeyer check the alignment about 2 years ago and it was spot on.

Your mileage may vary ... each car's configuration is going to change the alignment procedure slightly. With a Neon ACR I used to have there was enough adjustment in the stock front suspension to account for a 1" drop, and I imagine thats what my brother did on the MINI. It really takes a discussion with an alignment guy.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

When I did my drop, the only thing that was out of wack was toe in on passenger front. The rest was pretty much to factory specs. -.75* in rear, and -.5* in front of camber.
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Will be keeping the stock shocks. Will probably be installed next week along with my new wheels. KC Trends doing the honors.
See marketplace for wheels for sale.
Mr. F56