Kansas City Auto Show

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Kansas City Auto Show

Post by minicoopers43 »

Is anyone going? I think i'm going to make it friday or saturday night.

Dates
March 3, Wednesday 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.
March 4, Thursday 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
March 5, Friday 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
March 6, Saturday 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
March 7, Sunday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Admission
Adult - $10.00
Child - $5.00 (8 thru 12 years)
Credit cards are accepted.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
LiLReD1

Re: Kansas City Auto Show

Post by LiLReD1 »

Yes I'm going, not sure when. Getting PRK surgery done tommorrow, so we'll see how I feel by then.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's a week away yet, you should be on your feet again by then!

We're going Friday afternoon, we usually get there around 3:30 or 4 pm, spend about 2 hrs at the show then head to the Westport Flea Market for one of the best burgers in town for dinner.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'm going on Saturday. :)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
pepperliz
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by pepperliz »

Check the front page of today's KC Star for a post it note with Buy One Get One Free savings to the Auto Show.
MINI will have 4-5 cars on display including the Camden and Mayfair 50th anniversary editions.

Liz
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Don't think we can make Fri afternoon for the car show but may be able to make the dinner. Haven't been in that area of town much. Be nice to check out a new restaurant. I will post if we can definitely make the dinner so you can look for us and flag us down.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

pepperliz wrote:Check the front page of today's KC Star for a post it note with Buy One Get One Free savings to the Auto Show.
MINI will have 4-5 cars on display including the Camden and Mayfair 50th anniversary editions.

Liz

I checked my paper and it didn't have the coupon. :( Will still be going to the show though. :)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Unfortunately i don't get a paper so no coupon for me :( As for the flea market though :D my wife introduced me to that place and man are them burgers gooood. we might have to go there first and the show after that to walk it off :P
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

We'll prolly be going on Sat as well, but dropping Allison's MINI off for an oil change first.
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

i looked up the restaurant's site...... http://www.westportfleamarket.com/ .. just a FYI... they say they are a CASH ONLY joint w/atm available. Just a head's up for us plastic type's...lol. Still not sure if we making dinner yet.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, cash and carry only, but Oh so worth the bother!

Their burgers are cooked in lard on an old, well used grill. And they're made from ground steak, not just hamburger - at least, that's what I've been told. I do know that juice runs down your chin when you eat one!

The restaurant is inside the fleamarket, enter thru the door on the east side of the bldg (where the Holiday Inn is) and just go to the cashier to order. A waitress will come to your table for your drinks order, and they will announce your name when your meal is ready. Condiments and plastic ware are right there at the pickup window....enjoy!

You guys going Friday or SAt night?

We're going to the show about 3:00 Friday afternoon, and we'll probably hit the restaurant about 5:30 or 6pm
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Depend's on his work if we make dinner tomrw night. We should be able to make that time frame. He say's he doesn't want to go to the car show because he's afraid he'll wind up trading the escalade for another new vehicle...roflmao.
monza

Post by monza »

When I was there yesterday to setup my 62, I strolled around. Spotted Baron's area. They kinda got squeezed in between Audi and some "Panasonic HD" semi trailer thing. I'd be pissed if I was Samer...

And no Baron BMW representation? Audi, Mercedes, Volvo... but no BMW???
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Went today to the auto show...it was okay. The Domestics and Toyota kind of ruled the show in terms of space. Interestingly Acura had a very nice setup.

I basically ogled the 2 Merc McClaren SLRs 8) and the Audi R8 V10 :shock: they had at the show. New Ford Fiesta looked neato for the small cars but otherwise typical run of the mill stuff.

I agree no BMW is lame and Mini had a small strip at the show. Met more than enough people willing to give you their opinions about a car but I refrained from making any comments that would insult or offend, no matter how much i wanted to disagree, i made sure to do it in a nice way :D

will probably head down to the Merc dealer to drive a GLK...I was surprised I liked it as much as I did.
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

We should be there for dinner tonight. May be running a bit late.
monza

Post by monza »

my personal favorite is actually the AMG SL65 Black. 660hp, 730ft*lb! Its $150,000 LESS than the SLR MacLaren, and has 200ft*lb MORE torque. Top Gear's test of the two sealed the deal for me, SL65 Black 8)

... not that I can actually buy one ... my budget is more along the lines of a used 135i... :lol:
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

I"ll be at the flea market somewhere between 5:30 and 6 ! :D
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

We will be headed there a bit early as it turn's out.
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Great going to a new place. Had fun, nice seeing everyone.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, nice to see everyone at the Fleamarket - and the burgers did not disappoint as usual! :wink:

I was stuffed after dinner!

I thought the MINI setup this year was better than in year's past, and they had a nice mix of cars. Well done, guys!

I guess BMW's sell themselves?

Of all the domestics, I thought the new Fords have made the most progress, especially in the interiors.

The Chebbies and Dodge/Chryslers all just looked so cheap inside. And I'm really unimpressed with the Camaro, what a disappointment......it may run like a scalded ape with the big motor, but living with one daily would just be terrible.....

I agree with Monza, the AMG Benz was my fav on their display. That and the black Alfa in the back, and the red Volvo 544!

I'd still rather have an Xbox than a Soul......

The Acura's are really nicely done inside, but ugly outside. The new Subie Legacy is a lot of car for the $$$, especially in the turbo 4 and with AWD.

The new Hyundai's Sonata's are pretty nice too, no wonder their sales keep going up. And the interiors don't have that funny odor anymore either.

What was up with the Cayenne with the orange accents? Who in their right mind would buy that thing?

I still cannot get used to the looks of the Panamera, it's just not pretty - even tho all the testers rave about how it drives, it's a bitch to get in and out of the back seat too......the supercharged Jag XJ parked next to it tho, Wow! Now that's how a gentlemen's express should look!

Got to see the new Cadillac station wagon.........meh, I'll still take an Audi over that, but it's nice to see them jump into a new market - hope it sells well enough to make sense for them.

All in all, I had a good time wandering around, but it sure didn't have much pizzaz this year, did it? Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I really liked the Mini display this year although I still think it sucks that owners don't get anything like Scion and Hyundai owners do... I really liked the ford Fiesta although I'd probably never buy one...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
monza

Post by monza »

Minidave wrote: All in all, I had a good time wandering around, but it sure didn't have much pizzaz this year, did it? Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded?
It would have had more pizzaz if they got more classic cars for the '60s theme'. When I talked to the organizers last week, they were ecstatic about getting another classic. They were having a hard time getting cars for the show??? Im like, 'are you kidding', there is a club for every marque in town, how can they have a hard time getting vintage? All they could muster was 9 cars for the 'Special area A". I personally know people with all sorts of cool 60's vintage machines.

I remember about 20 years ago, they would have more in the way of entertainment, and certainly more concepts. Now it is 1 or 2 concepts, and all cars from the dealers' lots.

On the comments about the Camaro, Ford, and Chryco... I have to say that Dodge got the Challenger's body the most accurate, but the interior is just executed horribly. The R/T they had was $40k... There are ALOT of really nice cars in that range, all of which have a much nicer place to sit. The Camaro is attractive, but again the interior is just low buck. The Mustang is taken up another notch, especially with the new V6 that replaces the super crappy one it had, but I just couldnt live with the interior. Overall the winner of the domestics in the interiors department is Caddy. GM is slowly coming around with figuring out that 'average' is not good enough. Interiors are as important, or maybe more important than the exterior. Ford has really figured it out on Taurus and a couple others.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Not a bad show. Some more pretty wild exotics than normal as mentioned. Was a little disappointed in what wasn't there that I think should've been. Oh well. I'm spoiled with this show never measureing up having been to Chicago's and Detroit's auto shows.
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

I agree with Tim. Having been to Detroit's auto show makes KC's look weak. I have to agree the sweetest car there was the SL65 Black. I was amazed it was there. Would have hoped to see a JCW MINI there though having the Mayfair and the Camden was pretty cool. I want one of each. The Subaru's looked awesome even though their display kinda sucked. I was disappointed with Chevrolet as usual although their Corvette concept was awesome! Ford I thought had the best overall display as far as number of new cars and the best looking overall lineup that is affordable and elegant. For those who are interested and dont know the new fiesta is a blast to drive! I got to drive one of the German spec vehicles they brought over for their advertising campaign and it was an absolute blast! little underpowered but it drove like it was a 4 door Cooper. Very European.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

They have A,B and C rated car shows, the A shows are the ones that get all the concepts, new car reveals and so on, and the greatest amount of mfr support. The type of show is determined by the attendance, and by extension the size of the market. A show like New York, Chicago, Detroit and LA are all A shows and pull huge number of visitors.

KC has always been a B show, but I think this year's effort was more like a C......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"