Aftermarket Exhaust Opinions Wanted

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MINI-me

Aftermarket Exhaust Opinions Wanted

Post by MINI-me »

I'm considering an aftermarket exhaust system for my MCS. The prices range from a el cheapo $250 to el grande $1,100 with an average around $900. If you have an aftermarket exhaust on your Mini, do you notice an improvement in HP and drivability or is it mostly just more bling and noise? I'm not saying bling and noise are necessarily bad, but I'm trying to understand better what all that hard-earned money really buys. Thanks for sparing me the marketing hype!
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Aftermarket Exhaust Opinions Wanted

Post by Hagar46 »

I have JustaCooper and have had both a Magnaflow and now have a Borla cat-back exhaust. Both seemed to improve performance over stock although not dyno tested. The Borla sounds better to me, more of a low rumble and a deeper roar on acceleration as compared to a rice-burner. I think it is better quality also. By the way, I still have the Magnaflow if anyone wants it free for their JustaCooper! It sounds pretty good too; just like the Borla better although more expensive.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Ireland Engineering has a few fitment issues and is a copy of the Dinan but with 2.5" tubing = $340
Borla Street is mellow great performance and warranty = ~$900 (depending on vender)
Borla Sport/Aggressive/Race has too many names is louder identical in performance and warranty as the Street = same price as above. I am running this along with a megan racing header and it is LOUD.
Milltek favored by everyone = $900-1000
Stratmosphere identical in design to the milltek = $800-900
Invidia is another mellow one= $500-700

I would recommend the Stratmosphere for its very high quality materials, fitment is perfect, Co-op designed with Milltek.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Maybe consider looking around for a factory JCW system that someone took off?

Fairly quiet, better performance than the stock MCS, perfect fit and all stainless construction. If someone has removed one to replace it with something louder, it could be had for cheap and it's a quality part. In fact, I think most of the aftermarket ones are designed just like the JCW, aren't they?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MINI-me

Post by MINI-me »

Good suggestions guys --thanks for your input. I'd love to hear from anyone running an aftermarket exhaust; please keep your opinions flowing. I looked up Stratmosphere and it looks like they belong in a modern art musuem. Man --those are some beautiful pipes! I guess my ideal setup would be increasing performance without greatly increasing sound. It sounds like the JCW or Borla pipes do just that. I'll keep an eye out for some used ones; good idea :idea:
MINI-me

Post by MINI-me »

FYI Update: I finally settled on Borla "street" exhaust. They do live up to their billing. The sound is right, the look is good, and when I tromp on the pedal and get the tack somewhere north of 5K --I can feel an improvement in gas mileage :mrgreen:
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Well looks like you found what you wanted, so I'll keep my opinions to myself. As long as yer content with what ya got, that's all that matters right?
MINI-me

Post by MINI-me »

Opinions are what this forum is all about. Shoot away LiLReD1.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Ha ha, fitting with yer sig! Actually this forum is all about MINI's! ...but that's just my opinion. :D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hah! What do you know, you old married guy you...... :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

I'm just a guy with more debt, lol. But she's totally worth it. :D If I ever get around to it, probably when I'm back from deployment, I'm doing a custom exhaust that should look pretty sic. We'll see. I already bought one full exhaust system, and sold it before I even put it on.
monza

Post by monza »

MINI-me wrote:FYI Update: I finally settled on Borla "street" exhaust. They do live up to their billing. The sound is right, the look is good, and when I tromp on the pedal and get the tack somewhere north of 5K --I can feel an improvement in gas mileage :mrgreen:
Cool. I have the Borla too. I love the sound, although the wife hates it. Low grumble is what you get most of the rev range.
Albiker

Post by Albiker »

If you want the best I recommend the Quicksilver Performance Exhaust, which I have on my mini. The tone at idle is nice and deep, similar to a Borla system. The QuickSilver system has slightly more volume throughout the rpm range when compared to the Borla. Definitely not loud or annoying, but a nice sporting sound. Owners have reported up to 35bhp performance increase!
MINI-me

Post by MINI-me »

I believe the QuickSilver is no doubt a quality exhuast. They have a great reputation. Matter in fact, it is pretty amazing to see how may quality exhaust systems are made for the MCS. One thing you didn't mention about the QuickSilver was interior noise. Do you hear much droning? One of the features I liked about the Borla (similar to JCW) is how quiet it is in the interior of car. If I have the windows up, I really can't hear the exhaust (which is the way I want it).
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

MINI-me wrote:I believe the QuickSilver is no doubt a quality exhuast. They have a great reputation. Matter in fact, it is pretty amazing to see how may quality exhaust systems are made for the MCS. One thing you didn't mention about the QuickSilver was interior noise. Do you hear much droning? One of the features I liked about the Borla (similar to JCW) is how quiet it is in the interior of car. If I have the windows up, I really can't hear the exhaust (which is the way I want it).
That's TO quiet for me... I gotta hear my exhaust note at all times to keep tabs on the motor. Even with my minor exhaust mods, I found myself in 5th gear @ 4,000 miles for probably 30 miles heading back to base. Boy did I feel stupid!